Help with locks - Fenny Stratford to Puttenham - urgent

sashastedman

Featured Posts

Hi

I need to move my boat from today-Thursday from Fenny Stratford to Bates Boatyard (Aylesbury arm GU). Are there any helpers for the locks? Stoke Hammond Lock, Soulbury Locks, Leighton Lock, Grove Lock, Church Lock, Slapton Lock, Horton Lock, Ivinghoe Locks, Seabrook Locks, Marsworth Two Locks and then the 11 locks from Marsworth junction down to Puttenham.

That is a lot of locks :/

Hope to arrive at Fenny this afternoon. So realistically there will be none before tomorrow.

Would anyone be around to kindly help with any of them?

Sadly I am having to do this bit of the journey on my own so would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks very much

I think if you don't rush, and hang about a bit, you will quite likely find someone else travelling South that you can share the double locks with. None are particularly hard locks, apart from a couple of paddles that have had bent rodding for a while, making them hard to wind.

What you have missed from your list is the normally closed swing bridge at Cheddington, which I would estimate of all the things on this trip, possibly the hardest thing for a less than 100% confident single hander to cope with. It's worth trying to be with another boat for that, if you have not tried it on your own before.

I might be able to help on thursday. I am in leighton buzzard and can certainly help to marsworth depending on the time of day as long as I can store my bike on board for my return trip.

Edited by bramley

I've done the same trip it's doable , just take your time. I would be tempted to stop at Grove lock and wait as L Buzzard to Marsworth is a popular route and I'm sure you could team up. As Alan says it's the swing bridge near Pitstone that' can be a challenge definately wait for a dog walker and ask them nicely. The single locks down the Aylesbury arm should be not problem .

If you do end up alone at Pitstone Swing Bridge just nose into the hinge side, step off at the front taking the bow rope with you, open, re-board at the front. Then drive through, then tail in, step off from the stern taking a rope, close it and off you go. And the that bridge seems to be very well balanced so it is easy to push.

If you do end up alone at Pitstone Swing Bridge just nose into the hinge side, step off at the front taking the bow rope with you, open, re-board at the front. Then drive through, then tail in, step off from the stern taking a rope, close it and off you go. And the that bridge seems to be very well balanced so it is easy to push.

It may have been once, but it certainly isn't now!

Many people find it impossible to get moving from the side it actually swings from.

The trick is actually to start it swinging when on the tow-path side, using your weight on that side to lift it on the other, then to cross swiftly across once you have it moving, and complete from the other side.

Easy when you know, but a lot of people don't work it out, and sit there helpless waiting someone to help.

Many people find it impossible to get moving from the side it actually swings from.

The trick is actually to start it swinging when on the tow-path side, using your weight on that side to lift it on the other, then to cross swiftly across once you have it moving, and complete from the other side.

Easy when you know, but a lot of people don't work it out, and sit there helpless waiting someone to help.

I thought that was how you made bridges fun to do....I always do it that way......speshly on the K&A.

I came through recently and found it effortless, a one hander job. In the past I remember it being very heavy but I presume something has been done to it recently.

An alternative for anyone struggling to move a heavy bridge is to tie a rope onto it and pull it with the boat.

Hi everyone. Thank you for all that kind information. Lysander indeed today is a travel day so that's lost but thank you for pointing out. Saves a nasty surprise later. Bramley I'll be in touch. Many thanks to the reassuring words from others. It's all been a bit ill-planned (worst thing to do as a boater I gather) but hoping still goes well. I need to sort out my notifications as I had to log in to find the replies. They normally can come via email? Anyway thanks again!!!

I doas I've done for the last 20 years when on my own

When going north push it open from the towpath then close it usind the boat and a sliding line.

When going south push it open from the towpath then attach a long sliding line to it as I pass through

Stop as soon as I'm clear of the bridge swing and pull it shut from the bank using the sliding line.

Never been a problem apart from the first time when I didn't allow for the acceleration and it knocked a dolly off the boat!

Never been a problem apart from the first time when I didn't allow for the acceleration and it knocked a dolly off the boat!

Did you let her back on and did she forgive you?

I have always Done It Similarly, It Was No More Difficult This Year Than Any Other.

Sorry, I don't know where the capitals keep coming from.....

• 1 year later...

I have only just seen your request and realise I may have missed the boat lol but I am available as a highly experienced crew person, even at short notice most times.

If you ever need help then feel free to phone me,

Ian

07704 249 523

Ian,

If you are keen to help you could go up to the Marsworth locks with your windlass and help boaters through anyway. It's a way of getting involved without having a boat.

Make sure you work under their direction though...

Ian,

If you are keen to help you could go up to the Marsworth locks with your windlass and help boaters through anyway. It's a way of getting involved without having a boat.

Make sure you work under their direction though...

Although you may now find yourself in competition with volunteer lock keepers whilst offering your services!..........