Beta Marine - thoughts

Wanted

Featured Posts

Hi all, am replacing my engine very soon and would like to garner a little opinion on the Beta 45 (BV1903) as a suitable engine for my 50ft cruiser stern.

In short I expect all engines to require love and attention but I'd rather know what kind of relationship I am getting into first.

So, any thoughts, opinions and bad habits I should be aware of?

First impressions are that a BV1903 would be slightly too big for a 50 footer. We have a Beta 1305 in a 45 footer and its completely fine, even on rivers upstream etc. By over-specifying the engine you'll lose out on fuel consumption, and simply unnecessarily pay more for it; and need more engine room space etc.

As far as the Beta vs other Japanese diesels, its probably the best choice although TBH there's not much in it. I'd avoid Vetus only because of high parts costs relative to other engines.

Beta as a company do things right or not at all in my experience as an owner. Their parts etc are expensive but not in the nosebleed territory of some.

I had a Beta 35 in my last narrowboat, a forty foot tug style and it seemed underpowered. I'm reasonably sure it was quite badly underpropped though, in retrospect. Was prone to overheating if worked hard too, but that was probably due to undersized skin tanks rather than the engine.

MtB

In all the years I have been boating, Beta Marine has always had good press from boaters

I have a 43 in a 60'.

Have a look at Beta's site they have a chart there of recommendations on size of engine to size of boat.

http://www.betamarine.co.uk/inland/inland_engines.html

Note to others Beta recommend 38 for 40' to 50' and a 43 for 50' to 70' so a 50' boat is just on the split.

We have a beta 43 (BV2003) in 59'. It has loads of power but on the other hand it has a 175A alternator and a 3.5 kw TravelPower and when these are working hard they fair sap the power so I think our engine is just about the right size. Cruising on the canals with no electrical load however, it does seem a bit overpowered. Fuel consumption cruising at 1300rpm is perhaps a bit thirsty at 1.6 litres/hr but I suspect our electrical demands have something to do with that.

In the depths of winter it starts instantly with no glowplug needed. Very slight smoke on startup but zero smoke after 10 seconds. We did have a slight issue with the governor hunting but this was fixed with a simple adjustment (simple once I had worked out what to adjust!). There is a manual primer pump and self-bleeding injector system so following fuel filter changes etc, it is a doddle to bleed - you just pump, and don't have to undo anything, no diesel escapes the engine.

Friendly and efficient service from Beta and, whilst spares are more expensive than from a motor factor, they are not too bad (£8 for a fuel filter for example). Anyway, once the engine is out of warranty there is no need to get consumable spares from Beta.

Edited by nicknorman

We have a beta 43 (BV2003) in 59'. It has loads of power but on the other hand it has a 175A alternator and a 3.5 kw TravelPower and when these are working hard they fair sap the power so I think our engine is just about the right size. Cruising on the canals with no electrical load however, it does seem a bit overpowered. Fuel consumption cruising at 1300rpm is perhaps a bit thirsty at 1.6 litres/hr but I suspect our electrical demands have something to do with that.

In the depths of winter it starts instantly with no glowplug needed. Very slight smoke on startup but zero smoke after 10 seconds. We did have a slight issue with the governor hunting but this was fixed with a simple adjustment (simple once I had worked out what to adjust!). There is a manual primer pump and self-bleeding injector system so following fuel filter changes etc, it is a doddle to bleed - you just pump, and don't have to undo anything, no diesel escapes the engine.

Friendly and efficient service from Beta and, whilst spares are more expensive than from a motor factor, they are not too bad (£8 for a fuel filter for example). Anyway, once the engine is out of warranty there is no need to get consumable spares from Beta.

AND, not to be sniffed at, when you call them for technical advice you can generally get to talk to a proper engineer who knows his stuff and knows your engine.

Not an unfortunate spod on minimum wage with a computer screen who asks you stoopid questions like 'is there is fuel in the tank?, and is the starter battery properly charged?'.

I'd buy a Beta as my first choice should I feel the need to own a modern engine ever again...

:)

MtB

AND, not to be sniffed at, when you call them for technical advice you can generally get to talk to a proper engineer who knows his stuff and knows your engine.

Not an unfortunate spod on minimum wage with a computer screen who asks you stoopid questions like 'is there is fuel in the tank?, and is the starter battery properly charged?'.

I'd buy a Beta as my first choice should I feel the need to own a modern engine ever again...

:)

MtB

True, although they failed to tell me how to stop the engine hunting at idle when I telephoned. I only found out how when I discussed it with a Beta bod at the Crick show. But otherwise yes they are in general helpful and knowledgable.

My 50 footer has a Beta 38. It's one of those wonderful bits of engineering that goes unnoticed, because it just does it's job without fuss or bother.

With the right prop and cooling I doubt it could be bettered.

Unless you are mostly on tidal rivers then the 38 should be fine, a modern diesel engine likes to be worked fairly hard and not trundling along at just over tick over as this cokes them up and shortens their life. Not only that but you will save your self about a grand and use less fuel.

Neil

My 50 footer has a Beta 38. It's one of those wonderful bits of engineering that goes unnoticed, because it just does it's job without fuss or bother.

With the right prop and cooling I doubt it could be bettered.

Me too, Beta 38 in 50 footer. But 2 years ago we stretched the boat to 60 foot, keeping the engine unchanged.

We regularly cruise on the Severn, never had a power problem.

As has been said, the engine just does what it has to do.

The Beta in Loddon (60ft) is a BV2203 50hp driving I think a 19x15 prop.

Its now 20 years old and pushes the boat along just fine.

just over 1000rpm is 3mph 1500rpm is 5mph top speed 7mph at 2300rpm.

One word of warning make sure whatever size engine you get that the skin tank is big enough.

When Loddon was built (well before I got it) the skin tank was to small and it was converted to indirect cooling, which I prefer as its quieter just the gentle splash of water.

It seems that the perceived wisdom in above posts is that your choice is 'one notch up' That's not a problem as fuel consumption is more a matter of power than the rated HP of the engine.

When I built mine I chose the next higher model from Beta (BV2203 as opposed to a BV1903 as it was then), but the price difference was small. One advantage in use is that the boat purrs along at low revs: (a smaller engine would have to work a bit harder).

"All things being equal" (cost , alternator / TravelPower considerations )I'd go for the larger unit - especially of you plan to use the Thames or Tideway. A bot of extra 'grunt' will be welcome in adverse conditions. The non tidal Thames is a pussy-cat in summer conditions but not so when on Yellow or Red board conditions.

I think Loddon's point about skin tank size may be a valid one.

Many boats are quite marginal in this respect, and if a tank is on the limits for a current engine, it may simply not be up to the task for a more powerful engine, if you actually try and make use of that power, (e.g. on the River).

What engine are you replacing, and what dimensions are your skin tank?

I put a new Beta 90 in my barge a couple of years ago.

Its a nice unit and Beta Marine are good to deal with :)

Of course the fact I spent the best part of ten grand on it obviously means I think it is good otherwise I would have had something else...

So not an impartial opinion

As far as cooling goes if you tend to go on tge Southern GU paddington and regents then a good mud box is essential if you have heat exchanger cooling with pumped canal water. Its very grubby round there I have found all sorts of rubbish in the mud box around Southall in particular

My boat was built with a skin tank but the previous engine was heat exchanger/canal water cooled so I got Beta HE model. Sometimes think the skin tank would be better but it is more prone to overheating aiui

Another point is that Beta are happy to make 'special feet' for their engines which can simplify replacement of an existing unit quite significantly :)

I have a beta 1305 in my 50ft liverpool trad and haven't had any problems with it. Where do you get filters from and spare belts from, as next time plan to service it myself? The previous owners used Shire 15W/40 API CD oil.

Is this within betas spec?

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

I've just had a Beta 43 fitted in my boat (67ft) to replace the worn-out Perkins that I used to have, and so far I am very impressed with it. The "special feet" option certainly helped with the installation

There was some doubt about the skin tank being big enough - in the end it all came down to whether or not there were baffles fitted inside it, and luckily there are baffles so it doesn't overheat even though it is slightly smaller than Beta's recommendation.

I had dealings with them earlier this year regarding drive plates..."Hang on, I'll just ask the bloke who built your engine..." And he did, and the bloke was right, and my engine is 20 years old!

I had dealings with them earlier this year regarding drive plates..."Hang on, I'll just ask the bloke who built your engine..." And he did, and the bloke was right, and my engine is 20 years old!

I think a Japanese robot built the important parts of your engine, your bloke marinised it.

ps ... and painted it green :)

Edited by Kwacker