Neat Antifreeze

ROBDEN

Featured Posts

Any Halfords, any chandlery, any vehicle parts wholesaler, and probably larger Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrison's.

Thanks, I may be wrong but I don't think that is neat antifreeze.

Halfords' antifreeze says "anti-freeze and coolant". What's the coolant, water? But whatever it is it's not neat antifreeze.

They do ready mixed and concentrate. Ready mixed has water added, and concentrate, has not so much water (coolant) added.

Rob....

Halfords' antifreeze says "anti-freeze and coolant". What's the coolant, water? But whatever it is it's not neat antifreeze.

They do ready mixed and concentrate. Ready mixed has water added, and concentrate, has not so much water (coolant) added.

Rob....

Aye - the ready mixed does not require any further dilution.

The concentrate requires further dilution (typically with 2 or 3 times as much water) -

That's as neat as one can buy I'm afraid.

Just wondering why you want it stronger than the usual concentrate? AFAIK that's the best you are going to get....

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Gareth.

Trying to see if I can get the cost down, and to be honest I don't want to be paying for water again. Water I have lots of.

My cooling system - engine, skin tanks and pipe work - needs near enough 34 litres.

Rob....

Rob....

Reckon you are reading too much into the word "Coolant" I believe the term is used to describe the fact that it can be used in the cooling system of vehicles, though it may or may not have the property of dissapating heat more efficiently than water. It was quite common years ago for people to drain down after winter, in fact I can remember when anti-freeze started carrying the term "coolant" and always thought it was a bit of a marketing ploy, this back about 50 years ago.

Phil

Doesn't it say Antifreeze + Summer coolant, ie. It can stay in the cooling system all year round. It's also got some corrosion inhibitors, which are good in a cooling system, much better than trying to get neat antifreeze.

Rob

I would suggest a motor factor who supplies local garages as they will supply antifreeze in 25 ltr drums far cheaper that retail outlets, the ideal dilution is around 50 percent antifreeze to water, it's also called coolant as it has properties which increase it's boiling point I believe and most brands last around 3 to five years in a system .

The neat stuff is what phill linked to and is what anti freeze is based on but as said earlier must also contain a rust/corrosion inhibitor and also a lubricant for the water pump etc, and also even if you bought it how would you know how much to dilute by.

Neil

Doesn't it say Antifreeze + Summer coolant, ie. It can stay in the cooling system all year round. It's also got some corrosion inhibitors, which are good in a cooling system, much better than trying to get neat antifreeze.

Rob

This is what I think.

I'm sure when I have bought large (25L or 30L) drums, it says "Anti Freeze and Summer Coolant", for these reasons.

I don't think I'm paying for much water.

From independent motor shops i have typically paid about £1 per litre, I think (so about £25 a drum). That is for the "basic" blue stuff that strictly should be changed every couple of years. The modern orange / red stuff that can last longer I imagine costs far more, unless things have changed in the last year or so.

Halfords and chandlers it will doubtless cost far more, as you will probably not find it in quantities much over 5 litres.

If you're changing the lot go for the more modern pink antifreeze. It works in a different way to the older antifreeze and has a longer life expectancy. You can't mix the types.

If you do that, make sure you flush the system thoroughly. It is worth swapping but the two types are incompatible and when mixed produce a gel like substance which blocks the waterways causing the engine to overheat.

A thorough reverse flush of the system will also help remove any silt lurking in the waterways.

Rob

Am I repeating myself again smile.png ? anyway here goes. I recommend diluting your antifreeze with distilled, de-ionized or even rain water and not tap water especially if your local water supply is hard and limy. It will keep your cooling or central heating system much much cleaner, free or free'er of rust and corrosion and much less trouble in the future. I have proved this time and again over 45 odd years in the motor and marine trades. Gallon containers of it can be bought at motor factors for about £3.

The glycol and glycol+methanol antifreezes have NO anti-corrosion properties so something will corrode causing leaks and failures. The antifreeze and (summer) coolant mixes will have corrosion inhibiting additives which your engine needs for long life.

Glycol based antifreeze and water freeze at about the same point, BUT a suitable mix is good down to about -40C

You may also find that antifreeze has Bitrex (or similar) added to discourage people from drinking it as glycol and methanol are toxic. Which brings me to disposal! You can't dump these in the cut!

Go out and buy an antifreeze with additives, read the instructions, it should need to be diluted. Read the instructions on the bottle to find the dilution required for your chosen degree of protection, prepare to make up about the right amount of the right mix and add it to a washed out system.

Car screenwash is different!

1/ don't try it as antifreeze

2/ it is often sold diluted so that the transport container is not hazardous and doesn't need expensive ADR trucking as the undiluted screenwash concentrate is highly flammable. ADR class 2 flammable liquid (IIRC), the ready to use is not flammable.

Reckon you are reading too much into the word "Coolant" I believe the term is used to describe the fact that it can be used in the cooling system of vehicles, though it may or may not have the property of dissapating heat more efficiently than water. It was quite common years ago for people to drain down after winter, in fact I can remember when anti-freeze started carrying the term "coolant" and always thought it was a bit of a marketing ploy, this back about 50 years ago.

Phil

Hi Phil.

50 years ago I could buy neat antifreeze for my Vauxhall Wyvern, get 2 gallons of petrol, go to the pub and get drunk and still have change from 5 bob.

That's old proper money.....to you young whipper snappers.

Rob....