Slowing Cyclists In Islington - Will This Work?

nine9feet

Featured Posts

I have read a lot about the dangers of speeding cyclists on the towpaths and it is supposed to be particularly bad on the Regents Canal.

So I was interested to see this article in the Islington Gazette about tidying up the towpath and installing chicanes to slow cyclists down :

http://www.islingtontribune.com/news/2014/sep/towpath-clean-way-%E2%80%98lawless%E2%80%99-regent%E2%80%99s-canal-chicanes-are-brought-slow-down-speeding-cyc

"THE towpath at Regent’s Canal, which has become a dumping ground for rubbish, is to be cleaned by Islington Council in a landmark agreement revealed this week.

And a series of chicane structures are to be installed along the towpath between Angel and Hackney to slow down speeding commuter cyclists, who have turned the stretch into a “no-go” area for walkers"

Note that the chicanes are to be installed by the council, not CRT.

Will they work, I wonder?

Depending on the design, they could be an encouragement to thrill seeking lycra louts.

ETA, and the reason for this?-

"One of the worst incidents happened last month when cyclist Misha MccGwire – daughter of Holloway-based London Mayoral hopeful Christian Wolmar – was deliberately pushed into the canal by two young men."

Cynic? Me?

Edited by John Williamson 1955
  • Greenie 1

Bloody good if they actually do it !!!

Commuter cyclists are a curse on the towpaths in London turning a public amenity into a race track :(

They need stopping. I've even seen idiot cyclists shouting at people to move out of the way.

Pedestrian priority :lol: :lol:

We are out for a walk with small children - these fast cyclists don't give a ---t they are a---holes with no respect for anyone.

• Greenie 3

Depending on the design, they could be an encouragement to thrill seeking lycra louts.

ETA, and the reason for this?-

"One of the worst incidents happened last month when cyclist Misha MccGwire – daughter of Holloway-based London Mayoral hopeful Christian Wolmar – was deliberately pushed into the canal by two young men."

Cynic? Me?

Saw that but decided to refrain from mentioning it up front. My response was just the same as yours biggrin.png

Should install some horses on the tow path....that would slow down the cyclists!

Though to be fair compared to the road in London the towpath is much safer, just wish they would slow down for the other uses !

A total ban on cyclists on this stretch of canal is the only thing that will work.

It's a short cut and is used for cyclists to commute between points.

They are in a rush to get to work, home or wherever. And everyone else must get out of the way.

It's far from safe for pedestrians and you walk with the constant fear of being mowed down or pushed in.

It's pertuculary dangerouse when approaching bridges as cyclist either speed up to get to the bridge hole before you or just ring their bell if coming the other way as though that gives them a divine right of passage,

A total ban on cyclists on this stretch of canal is the only thing that will work.

It's a short cut and is used for cyclists to commute between points.

They are in a rush to get to work, home or wherever. And everyone else must get out of the way.

It's far from safe for pedestrians and you walk with the constant fear of being mowed down or pushed in.

It's pertuculary dangerouse when approaching bridges as cyclist either speed up to get to the bridge hole before you or just ring their bell if coming the other way as though that gives them a divine right of passage,

So, they're typical London cyclists, then. They don 't give way on the roads and pavements, either, even to lorries.

OK, a word in my defense! Not all cyclists behave like this, I don't!

If you are in a rush, the roads are much quicker than the towpath, although admittedly I'm not there at rush hour times.

Also, there are already many chicanes on this towpath, from Camden all the way to Hackney. Few more won't hurt, but there are also speed humps most of the way along by bridges too. These things probably make the inconsiderate ones go faster between the obstacles to make up the time!

Ringing of bells is asked for, and at a blind spot like a bridge hole, it's the right thing to do. It's also the right thing to do to stop and make way. I do, and so do many other cyclists I've seen!

We're not all bad, like not all dog owners leave dog mess. Please don't over generalise....... sad.png

• Greenie 2

OK, a word in my defense! Not all cyclists behave like this, I don't!

If you are in a rush, the roads are much quicker than the towpath, although admittedly I'm not there at rush hour times.

Also, there are already many chicanes on this towpath, from Camden all the way to Hackney. Few more won't hurt, but there are also speed humps most of the way along by bridges too. These things probably make the inconsiderate ones go faster between the obstacles to make up the time!

Ringing of bells is asked for, and at a blind spot like a bridge hole, it's the right thing to do. It's also the right thing to do to stop and make way. I do, and so do many other cyclists I've seen!

We're not all bad, like not all dog owners leave dog mess. Please don't over generalise....... sad.png

I suspect that the problem with this generalisation is that it is 'based' on a truth, I'm regularly expected to move out of the way of cyclists on the towpath, and even expected to do so when they are approaching me from behind, and without warning.

Not all cyclists behave this way - - but those that most readily spring to mind do!

"Campaign to NOT give cyclists the right of way" if you just DO NOT get out of their way perhaps people will 'get it'

The considerate cyclists will not mind this, they will wait until there is a clear gap :)

"Reclaim our towpaths" the bikes do a reclaim our streets I believe.

Problem is -certain type of- cyclists think they are saving the planet. This is not a joke they actually believe that by cycling rather than using a engine driven vehicle they are helping future generations avoid smog like pollution.

What they are really doing is transferring the physical danger (cyclist hit by car) from themselves onto others (child hit by cyclist) which is unacceptable in my view.

/rant mode OFF/

• Greenie 1

Many moons ago I was holding a boat on a centre rope at a lock, heard this frantic ting ting ting followed by a call to get out the f'ing way. So I stepped back to the wall behind me and held the rope tight!

You know what happened next, pile of cyclist and bike on the floor, luckily I am not easily intimidated and manage confrontation very well :) so he picked up his bike and left.

• Greenie 1

"Campaign to NOT give cyclists the right of way" if you just DO NOT get out of their way perhaps people will 'get it'

The considerate cyclists will not mind this, they will wait until there is a clear gap smile.png

"Reclaim our towpaths" the bikes do a reclaim our streets I believe.

Problem is -certain type of- cyclists think they are saving the planet. This is not a joke they actually believe that by cycling rather than using a engine driven vehicle they are helping future generations avoid smog like pollution.

What they are really doing is transferring the physical danger (cyclist hit by car) from themselves onto others (child hit by cyclist) which is unacceptable in my view.

/rant mode OFF/

Take a greenie! i reckon that cyclists are "urban terrorists". If more pedestrians stood their ground, or "accidentally" panicked and caused a cyclist to get wet there might be more publicity for the poor creatures to be careful.

Bob

I ride to work every morning from the ivy house lift bridge to westport lake in Stoke on Trent and admittedly there is odd ignorant arsehole on a bike but over all most I meet are polite and considerate ,

It's the same as car users

For every journey you will pass hundreds of cars users that you won't notice because they don't do anything out of the ordinary , it's the toss pot you'll remember evey time

• Greenie 1

I ride to work every morning from the ivy house lift bridge to westport lake in Stoke on Trent and admittedly there is odd ignorant arsehole on a bike but over all most I meet are polite and considerate ,

It's the same as car users

For every journey you will pass hundreds of cars users that you won't notice because they don't do anything out of the ordinary , it's the toss pot you'll remember evey time

You don't go Through Islington and Hackney in inner London do you?

Arrogant tossers are the majority unfortunately :(

Never mind crab apple trees we need deciduous drawing pin trees

Sharp pointy walking poles carried at a jaunty angle keep em away.

Sharp wit too.... How much did you pay for that bike? And you can't afford a bell?

If you can't afford a bell, shout "ding ding"!

Won't your mum let you ride on roads now she's taken your stabilisers off?