Water pump advice

Mark & Michelle

Featured Posts

We've noticed our water pump kicking in for a second or so at various intervals even though we are not running any taps / shower. An engineer on site mentioned we may have a leak bit we can't see any obvious water leakage so wonder if there would be any other reason the water pump would activate for short bursts.

We've only had this boat a few weeks and are still getting to know it as well as doing a few running repairs.

So...leak or any other explanation?

Thanks in anticipation.

The need for the pump to "replace water" could have several causes:

The pump seals may be worn, in which case the pressure it's put into the accumulator/calorifier is leeching back into your water tank.

Your PRV (pressure relief valve) (probably near your calorifier) may be releasing pressure (and water) [probably into your bilge or overboard depending upon how it's plumbed in].

Or you may have a leak. (you'll need to check in your bilges (cabin bilge and engine bilge)

Edited by Grace & Favour

The area around the pump is dry but haven't disturbed any pipe work. Engine compartment appears dry and the bilge pump when switched on is not picking up any water so it's puzzling.

I wondered if it's anything to do with the calorifier venting itself in a similar way a water heater releases pressure (and water) through a veneted tap, thus causing the water pump to replace the vented water?

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago, after searching the boat for a leak and not finding one I decided to buy and fit a new pump

(£65) and this solved the problem, I was told it was the water pressure getting back past the diaphragm, I don't know if that

was the problem but it's not happening now.

Dave

The area around the pump is dry but haven't disturbed any pipe work. Engine compartment appears dry and the bilge pump when switched on is not picking up any water so it's puzzling.

I wondered if it's anything to do with the calorifier venting itself in a similar way a water heater releases pressure (and water) through a veneted tap, thus causing the water pump to replace the vented water?

That venting valve is the PRV.

It'll have a red knob on it, spring loaded. Give it a couple of turns (it clicks back into position) - that will clear any detritus that may, possibly, be under the valve seat, and thus releasing water)

That venting valve is the PRV.

It'll have a red knob on it, spring loaded. Give it a couple of turns (it clicks back into position) - that will clear any detritus that may, possibly, be under the valve seat, and thus releasing water)

Thanks I'll have a go at that.

I had pretty much the same problem as Titus above, and solved it in the same way. The problem was the diaphragm on the pump, I'm not entirely sure what was wrong with it other than it leaked, I can only assume that the material had hardened.

I have to say that the leak in mine had gone on for some considerable time to the point where the water in the bilge at the back of the boat made contact with the floorboards and the carpet became damp, that was when I decided that something had to be doneunsure.png. Just to cheer you up however, it is possible that your bilge pump is placed below the rear stern gland to pump out leakage from there but not from the general underfloor area (as mine was). Since any water leak from the domestic water system will invariably run to the back of the boat I have now installed an auxiliary bilge pump to that area to pump out anything that gets into the underfloor.

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago, after searching the boat for a leak and not finding one I decided to buy and fit a new pump

(£65) and this solved the problem, I was told it was the water pressure getting back past the diaphragm, I don't know if that

was the problem but it's not happening now.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I'll give the pressure valve a turn first as recomended by G&F and then I'll have a look at the pump. Cheers

I guess it depends on the frequency of the pump 'kicking in'.

During the night our pump will do 2 or maybe 3 'start ups' for a second.

Done lots of investigations and canot find any leaks or problems.

I have come to the conclusion that as the water is heated it expands, and as it cools it contracts, reducing the pressure and hence the pump 'kicking in'.

Dont know if it really is that, but its given me a reason to stop worrying about it.

Same here, ours does it occasionally. I have looked everywhere that I can, and have not found a leak. The water pump has been replaced, as that did start leaking, but with the new one it still kicks in the odd time now and again. At this point I am putting it down to having turned that tap off near where the accumulator pressure has fallen to the start up pressure, and then the hot water cooling down, and am ignoring it.

How often does it do it? If its any more than once every couple of hours, there's a 'leak' somewhere - obviously the frequency relates to the size of the leak. It might be something as simple as a dripping tap, not closed properly. At night, it makes sense to turn the pump off, in case it decides to do it at 3am and wakes you up.