Anglers' rubbish

Murflynn

Featured Posts

Travelling on the Avon between Stratford and Tewkesbury this weekend I was impressed how clean and tidy the river and the riverbanks are. And on Sunday most of the anglers hanging their long poles half way across the river pulled them in without comment as I passed, some even waving a (polite) greeting.

But today I came across a team of strimmer operators near Pershore, cleaning up the angling holes, presumably on behalf of an angling club, cutting back the nettles and brambles and kicking the refuse, presumably left by previous anglers - plastic bottles and the like - into the river! Well - they weren't carrying refuse bags so I suppose that seemed the logical thing to do. mad.gif

Don't start me on anglers rubbish, my pet hate is lengths of discarded fishing line, the amount of damage this does to water fowl is terrible. At one time we had a Moorhen that would come to the window and tap to be fed, one day we noticed its leg was swollen and it got worse over a couple of days. Our initial efforts to catch it failed, however on about the 4th or 5th day I managed to catch it in a landing net and as I lifted the net one of the birds legs fell clean off. Fishing line had neatly killed the leg off, the bird went off to a sanctuary to join many other birds maimed in a similar manner.

We also had a family of Egyptian Geese that lived with us, Howard, Hilda and brood. Hilda turned up one day with a swollen foot and upon inspection fishing line had formed a tight ligature round her leg. Luckily she was so tame I was able to just pick her up and delivered her to our local Waterfowl Rescue. Hilda returned but had a permanently deformed foot. This was not the end of it because the same thing happened to her 2 years later, but on the second occasion upon her return her foot was really shriveled up and thereafter it was obvious that in the cold weather it did cause her some discomfort.

Phil

These people who fish and discard all their rubbish (beer cans, food wrappers, portable barbecues etc) are not anglers, they are hooligans with fishing rods and usually fish late at night into the early hours. True anglers take all their rubbish home and sometimes even clean any rubbish left by others around their swim. No im not an angler just someone who cleared the towpath of rubbish among other things for 18 years.

I agree with Glenvar. In my experience it is cowboys with fishing rods that cause the damage/litter (my pet hate too.) Proper anglers have a sense of responsibility, and leave the place clean/tidy. Same goes for cyclists, walkers etc.

(I am not an angler either.)

• 1 month later...

Travelling on the Avon between Stratford and Tewkesbury this weekend I was impressed how clean and tidy the river and the riverbanks are. And on Sunday most of the anglers hanging their long poles half way across the river pulled them in without comment as I passed, some even waving a (polite) greeting.

But today I came across a team of strimmer operators near Pershore, cleaning up the angling holes, presumably on behalf of an angling club, cutting back the nettles and brambles and kicking the refuse, presumably left by previous anglers - plastic bottles and the like - into the river! Well - they weren't carrying refuse bags so I suppose that seemed the logical thing to do. mad.gif

Most, if not all of the people who work on the Avon are volunteers, but if you saw then doing this then you should report it to the Avon Navigation Trust.

Fishing line had neatly killed the leg off, the bird went off to a sanctuary to join many other birds maimed in a similar manner.

We saw a one legged female Mallard on the Trent & Mersey about 3 weeks ago. Fortunately the wound seemed well healed and she was managing just fine. My first thought was fishing line, thankfully I think you see less than you used to.

Boaters are just as bad. I've recently been metal detecting in some fields that run alongside the canal (on the offside). If I get within 10m of the canal it is pretty much impossible to detect because it is so full of rubbish, mostly drinks cans and bottle tops. The strip right next to the canal is littered with plastic bottles, glass bottles and even a bin bag full of rubbish. The only way I can think that they got there is from boaters chucking it there because it would be too far to throw it from the tow path side and it is on private land.

We saw a one legged female Mallard on the Trent & Mersey about 3 weeks ago. Fortunately the wound seemed well healed and she was managing just fine. My first thought was fishing line, thankfully I think you see less than you used to.

Is that the one that swims round and round in circles?

As someone that has fished for most of my life I sometimes despair at the mess left behind after some fishing match,s, but I also wince at the rubbish left by some boaters,cyclists and walkers everyone plays there part, I keep a spare bin bag in my rucksack incase I have got wet gear when I pack up but often I fill it with other people's rubbish and drop it in a bin on my way home, I think if we all take home more than we take out we can swing the balance, I know I,m pissing in the wind but makes me happy non the less and it's more constructive than moaning and doing nowt about it.

• Greenie 1

As someone that has fished for most of my life I sometimes despair at the mess left behind after some fishing match,s, but I also wince at the rubbish left by some boaters,cyclists and walkers everyone plays there part, I keep a spare bin bag in my rucksack incase I have got wet gear when I pack up but often I fill it with other people's rubbish and drop it in a bin on my way home, I think if we all take home more than we take out we can swing the balance, I know I,m pissing in the wind but makes me happy non the less and it's more constructive than moaning and doing nowt about it.

Fair play to that

My beef with rubbish left behind by anglers is their excrement that is sometimes left in the hedgerows for my dogs to find. Whilst I know that the anglers that resort to this are very few in number, unfortunately they aren't the only ones who do this. I've had to be extra vigilant when walking past liveaboard boats that have been tied up in the same place for weeks on end, they too sometimes resort to the same practice. It's not very nice having to thoroughly clean your dog's mouth, but fortunately my dogs are not ones for licking faces, so it could be worse I suppose.

naughty-shit.gif

P.S.

I wonder what Mr Steve Haywood, Canal boat columnist would have to say if he ever came across it. Stick & flick that!

Edited by BargeeSpud

• 1 month later...

These people who fish and discard all their rubbish (beer cans, food wrappers, portable barbecues etc) are not anglers, they are hooligans with fishing rods and usually fish late at night into the early hours. True anglers take all their rubbish home and sometimes even clean any rubbish left by others around their swim. No im not an angler just someone who cleared the towpath of rubbish among other things for 18 years.

A theme is beginning to appear here, we have anglers, cyclists and boaters and they are all great people who look after the environment, unfortunately we also seem to have hooligans who fish, hooligans who ride bikes and even I am afraid to say hooligans who boat.

A theme is beginning to appear here, we have anglers, cyclists and boaters and they are all great people who look after the environment, unfortunately we also seem to have hooligans who fish, hooligans who ride bikes and even I am afraid to say hooligans who boat.

A very accurate synopsis ......it is a shame that a minority always seem to spoil it for the majority

Surely people who fish (angle) with fishing rods are .......anglers? wacko.png Who is to say whether they are a different breed called Hooligans. You'll be talking about "proper boaters" versus the rest next!

Howard

• Greenie 1

Surely people who fish (angle) with fishing rods are .......anglers? wacko.png Who is to say whether they are a different breed called Hooligans. You'll be talking about "proper boaters" versus the rest next!

Howard

Excellent idea Howard ... I like that!

Nick (proper forum member!)

Howard

For "proper" I would substitute "responsible." That applies to all citizens in my book.

If any anglers reckon they might get taken short and busting for a No2 whilst doing their angling, especially at a crucial moment when like they've got a ''big 'n' on'' or hanging. Surely the answer is for them to get a Porta-Pottie to sit on. And if at all modest it could be sat on under a big umbrella. Mind you, it's more likely that if they want a No2 it'll be more likely to be brought on whilst walkinin or runnin about than sitting down. A fly fisherman wading about with waders on, after whatever they're after ' trout or salmon I think,' shouldn't have a problem with No2's or No1's. Yes big baggy waders are the thing for all anglers. closedeyes.gif

Great attitude, I'll try and do the same.

Howard

Are you bored by any chance???