Calorifier size (capacity)

Featured Posts

Hi,

looking to fit a calorifier, hopefully before the winter sets in.

Not sure what sort of capacity to go for. Larger capacity takes longer to heat, but will provide more, and hotter water for longer, right? (As colder water enters the calorifier and dilutes the mix), or is this not really an issue if I get an upright?

We are two people living aboard. Calorifier will be twin coil on solid fuel stove and engine. We have a bath but don't use it (might be nice to have the option one day though) except as a large shower tray... We don't often both shower straight after each other, so I think needing to heat up between showers would be fine. We might well be washing up and showering at the same time though. Showers are of the navy variety.

Equally is there much wrong with going for a much bigger calorifier than we need? The water will not get wasted if it is not used, will it? It will just get heated up again for tomorrow's shower...

So, interested to know what size other people have, and how much they get out of it! (ie: We have an x litre calorifier and it runs out in one shower. Or we have a y litre calorifier, and we've never emptied it of hot water even when we had six teenage girls staying on board.)

Thanks for the help!

Hi Tom, we live aboard and seem to manage with what I think is about 55ltr calorifier, to be honest I have never given it much thought, ours heats via engine, C/H gas boiler and when we are on landline we use an immersion heater.

Phil

Edit oh can't think why a bigger tank would be an issue other than effecting the trim of the boat maybe

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Too big a calorifier will take ages to heat, so you'l need the burner on for hours to get warm water. Too small a calorifier will mean that you run out of hot water sometimes.

If you cruise a lot then the waste engine heat can do the heating effectively for free, if you are moored a hot shower could take too much engine time to be viable.

Hi ya,

Yep much the same here as Sir Phil, approximately a 50ltr Calorifire, I always seam to have ample hot water, and in the winter months I try and always heat the tank up at night, then it helps keep the temperature up in the eng bay when it's approaching Zero Degrees. It then only takes a jiffi to top it up with heat in the morning, whilst having my Coffee & Breakfast Donut.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Not sure what sort of capacity to go for. Larger capacity takes longer to heat, but will provide more, and hotter water for longer, right? (As colder water enters the calorifier and dilutes the mix), or is this not really an issue if I get an upright?

A vertical large one is better, the water is taken from the top so it doesn't take longer to get hot water. If your heating via solid fuel stove, then in winter this will be on most of the time. An engine is a big heat source, and should heat a large calorifier in a reasonable time.

Remember heat goes upwards, so bear this in mind when plumbing from the engine to calorifier, the pipes should go up to the calorifier.

Edited by Robbo

Our boat has a bath (with shower over), so we have a 127 litre (28 gallon) horizontal calorifier to which we have further wrapped in an old duvet. Retains heat for a considerable time.

Heats very quickly using 2 x 1kw immersion heaters.

Tony

Thanks everyone!

Interesting thought about the trim of the boat, but as the thing is always going to be full of water, it makes sense! I was thinking of putting it on the starboard side of the engine, because there is more space there, but as I tend to list to S/B a little, I think I will try and find room to fit it on port side. This is good cos it will leave me space to climb down into the engine 'ole (which I can still do at the moment on S/B, but never could do on port side!)

I will measure the space on port side, likely this will become the limiting factor in choice of calorifier. But from what you are all saying, if 55 ltrs gives a comfortable two showers I will be happy with 40.

We do have a gas water heater which we use for showers at the moment, and this will always be available for summer non-cruising days. I doubt I would ever fire up the engine just to heat water...