Sea going Boat

zubeye

Featured Posts

Yes, An absolutely Stunning Boat, Well done & Good luck, I couldn't ever get on with the whole sailing thing, Far to energetic for me, But i spent 18month or so playing around The Caledonian & Crinin Canals, Loved it, If I Don't sell my boat now, I will probably keep it, do a mini refit yet again and edge back up there again, Loads of Livaboards in loads of different shaped and sized boats, Loads of safe cruising and Anchorages, & Even more Space !. Yes I miss it.

Maybe, just maybe, I havn't thought this through. Perhaps renting a coastal cruiser and captain in the med is a sensible first step

You need to know what you're letting yourself in for (if you want to live). Even experienced people get in to trouble out on lumpy water. The sea can be very unforgiving and it bites back when you least expect it.

Get some experience first.

RYA courses are a good place to start.

'Competent crew' is good fun and a great way to learn your way round a boat, find your sea legs and be under the supervision of a qualified skipper.

From there, Day Skipper (tidal) would be the next step. Day Skipper will also give you the minimum ticket to get you an ICC (International Certificate of Competence)

What about flotilla sailing in the Med as a first step? It's a great way to start. You have a bit of independence, but have the reassurance of having the lead boat to help if required.

• Greenie 1

You must admit NC it is one beautiful boat designed for long distance cruising...... If Mrs Dharl was happy on lumpy water we would look for something similar!

You need to know what you're letting yourself in for (if you want to live). Even experienced people get in to trouble out on lumpy water. The sea can be very unforgiving and it bites back when you least expect it.

Get some experience first.

RYA courses are a good place to start.

'Competent crew' is good fun and a great way to learn your way round a boat, find your sea legs and be under the supervision of a qualified skipper.

From there, Day Skipper (tidal) would be the next step. Day Skipper will also give you the minimum ticket to get you an ICC (International Certificate of Competence)

What about flotilla sailing in the Med as a first step? It's a great way to start. You have a bit of independence, but have the reassurance of having the lead boat to help if required.

Great advise PJ, especially on the Flotilla Sailing! Have a greenie!

Many thanks for the compliments about Josefine. Yes, she is a very capable boat, built originally to work in the North sea. She was converted for leisure use in the late 70’s and has crossed the Atlantic to America at least once.

Of the many joys of this type of boat, we like;

The large open decks that allow a lot of time outside rather than always below,

The uncomplicated construction that allows for self-maintenance,

The massive construction (Josefine is oak on oak) which make them so strong

and the relatively stable lumbering manoeuvring for most of the time but which in a good breeze can feel like your sailing a dinghy.

There is of course, also, that heady aroma of pitch, pine and salt and the lovely warm feel of wood under foot.

I am trying to put some stuff together for a YouTube channel so that I can share some of our experiences, just too busy at the moment with the current refit, but I’ll get there!

You must admit NC it is one beautiful boat designed for long distance cruising...... If Mrs Dharl was happy on lumpy water we would look for something similar!

Great advise PJ, especially on the Flotilla Sailing! Have a greenie!

Indeed she is.

Far too many ropes involved for my liking though laugh.png

Indeed she is.

Far too many ropes involved for my liking though laugh.png

Talk about ropes, how about this!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4cy5texa7cv86j/Earl%20of%20Pembrook%200005.JPG?dl=0

It’s the Earl of Pembrook and its moored just ahead of me in Gloucester Basin.

Actually, I am surrounded by interesting boats at the moment.

The boat directly in front of me turns out to belong to the man who made my narrowboat, (long before I bought it), the owner of Orion Narrowboats, just had a chat with him and his wife, nice chap not just a first class boat builder.

Next boat up from the Pembrook, sort of bridges the gap between these sea boats and narrowboats, it’s a Trow,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhh3f7dkw9n60i9/IMG_4607.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fuujfsullp5k713/IMG_4611.JPG?dl=0

just arrived at T Nielsens for its annual brush up.

More about it here:

http://www.theherefordbull.org/Home.html

yep that's an AWFUL lot of rope.....

Dosnt she normally live down in Cornwall normally? Port of Charlestown by St Austell rings a bell where she works a s a sail training vessel as well as film / TV work....

yep that's an AWFUL lot of rope.....

Dosnt she normally live down in Cornwall normally? Port of Charlestown by St Austell rings a bell where she works a s a sail training vessel as well as film / TV work....

Don’t quote me but I think she is the last of the boats owned by the company based at Charlestown, the whole lot including the port is being sold off.

The Earl of Pembook is geared and managed specifically for film work, she came to Gloucester to star in the Walt Disney ‘Alice in Wonderland’ film but is still here as her foremast was discovered to be rotten and T Nielsens are about to cut her a new one.

She welcomes visitors (voluntary donation) and is worth it for anyone in the area, whilst on the subject of interesting things happening on the G&S at the moment, there is a good looking country fair on at Frampton next weekend.

Details here:

http://www.framptoncountryfair.co.uk

I was fortunate to go aboard for a look round the ill fated Maria Assumpter in Charleston harbour (horrible fate for a beautiful ship)

just realised that must be nearly 20 years ago!

eta ....would dearly have loved to see her being worked in and out of that harbour entrance under sail!!!

Edited by John V