Sea going Boat

zubeye

Featured Posts

"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon seem inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

There are plenty of people bumming around the Mediterranean and surprising numbers living on the east coast of Spain.

"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon seem inevitable."

~Christopher Reeve

There are plenty of people bumming around the Mediterranean and surprising numbers living on the east coast of Spain.

Yes, I'm In Valencia at the moment and there are surprising numbers of people living here, many of them Spanish. tongue.png

But despite what Christopher Reeve may have said, if we're being realistic we have to acknowledge that there are also plenty of people whose dreams weren't well planned and didn't work out, with some, like the one Ray posted above, ending in disaster.

Edited by blackrose

Why not go and charter a boat first and see if it is anything like what you are imagining. Chances are it isn't!

That's the sort of thing I'd be doing if living on a boat in the Med was my dream.

When I was in Croatia last year I met an English family who'd hired a sailing boat. They were reasonably experienced and it did look like a fantastic way to spend a couple of weeks, but there's a world of difference between a holiday and real life.

IMG-20131026-00507_zpse900998f.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Does anybody know much about sea going boats? I'm looking to exchange my narrowboat for something that will get me to the East coast of Spain and back, but will also survive a lock. Also something as simple to drive as a canal boat would be handy as I have zero experience! Any suggestions on what kind of boat and training I should be looking at?

Via canals or open sea?

If the latter you will need to cross the Bay of Biscay, down to Gibraltar and into the Med. A sailing yacht 35 foot minimum and an RYA Yachtmaster qualification wouldn't be over the top for such.

Via canals or open sea?

If the latter you will need to cross the Bay of Biscay, down to Gibraltar and into the Med. A sailing yacht 35 foot minimum and an RYA Yachtmaster qualification wouldn't be over the top for such.

Why do people keep mentioning the Bay of Biscay? Surely the easiest and safest route to the Med is through the inland waterways of France? But if I wanted a boat on the Med I'd just buy one in France - plenty for sale over there.

Edited by blackrose

Why do people keep mentioning the Bay of Biscay? Surely the easiest and safest route to the Med is through the inland waterways of France? But if I wanted a boat on the Med I'd just buy one in France - plenty for sale over there.

Simply because its the most popular and certainly quickest route into the Med from the UK even for stink pots of suitable size. This despite the fact that most insurance companies won't cover you for passage across the B of B during the winter months.

Many sailing yachts wouldn't have adequate depth within the French canal system.

1.4m is about the maximum.

The usual canal route to the med is into the Gironde at Bordeaux. Still across Biscay but you can coast hop down rather than just blat across if you've the time and seems to fit the OP dream nicely.

If I ever had to cross Biscay again I wouldn't coast hop, just pick a good window and straight across to La Coruna. Unfortunately I did coast hop to minimise the bay crossing. The overnight trip from La Rochelle to Santander in the supposedly ideal month of June was the worst I had in 15 years and 40,000nm of sailing both sides of the Atalntic.

For me it is interesting the different points of view people have in 'Size' of boat as some sort of measure of Capabilities.

I've been a Full time Livaboard CCr Mainly on the Coast, Estuaries, Rivers & Selected Canals of The UK For close on 28 years now, Many of which (up until a year ago) was with my Disabled wife. Our current boat of 7 years has quite happily allowed us to live in almost self sufficient comfort, whilst exploring the array of Knooks & Crannies Spanning our chosen cruising grounds from Inverness to Marseilles 'Probably' only staying in a handful of marinas for VERY short visits over the time we've had her. Choosing to mostly Anchor in Estuaries.

She is only 41ft, & a category '©' vessel.

People have completed Atlantic, Pacific, crossings in boats of 19ft or less & Crossed the Channel in modernised Cars !.

Weather & Conditions are 'Much' more of a factor to a degree than Type of craft in my opinion.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Weather & Conditions are 'Much' more of a factor to a degree than Type of craft in my opinion.

Very true. And the advantage of living aboard is the ability to choose when to set off on passage. That doesn't mean you won't meet adverse conditions but it gives you a head start.

I don't think the OP is particularly serious but the discussion is interesting and it's important to dream. Though you won't find much lumpy water experience on a muddy ditch forum. On a yachting forum you might even find too much !

Edited by phill

I would really recommend doing a RYA course, not only as taster to see the difference in Blue Water boating compared to bring on the cut but also to get some experience in the cost! Most good sailing schools will offer the RYA Competent Crew as a weekend for beginners.....either on a sailing boat or powerboat. If this wets your appetite then you will need to do some more RYA courses, certainly the the Day Skipper and also the Coastal Yachtmaster. If you plan to operate on the contenent or the Med you will to show the authorities your qualifications in order to drive your boat which these provide.

In the UK we are lucky and if you have a private vessel undet 24 m loa you dont need any qualifications! ( more or less )

As has been suggested talk to people on the YBY forums as there are plenty of those who are doing your dream ( check the liveaboard forum) and can give you good guidance.

I love all forms of boating, good luck!

Learn to sail zubeye if your going to make long passages at sea. Unless its calm or calmish smallish motor boats whether of the displacement or planing type will give you a horrible ride in a chop, rolling and wallowing about all over the shop, very very tiring, wearysome on a long trip and will probably make you sick.

A sailing cruiser on the other hand is stabilized and steadied by the balance of its keel and sails and will remain quite steady and directional with maybe pitching into a head sea which is quite pleasant and satisfying, with not much wallowing or rolling except for sailing directly down wind and that can usually be avoided by broad reaching.

I would love to go and live on the sea. The people we bought our nb from sold up to do exactly that. A guy on the mooring here sold his nb years ago and went to do it, came back and now he's off again - misses the sea. The oh is having none of it though so that's that.

I would love to go and live on the sea. The people we bought our nb from sold up to do exactly that. A guy on the mooring here sold his nb years ago and went to do it, came back and now he's off again - misses the sea. The oh is having none of it though so that's that.

I love it, as iI said iI actually spend more time in the Eateries,Harbours & Rivers than at sea though. Less crowded, apparently less problematic, and just a bit more freedom & can be a HELL of a lot cheaper as a livaboard.

Go on Try it !...

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

The Eateries

Not a typo i guess :)

My favourite Eatery is Bon Appetit in Ramsgate overlooking the harbour but i have only ever been there by car not on the yot :(

But as i don't like rough water i suppose its more :) than :(

Harbour does look nice though

Personally, I think the most important factor is how active a life style you want, life on the canals is VERY undemanding, whilst the ocean demands your constant attention, which do you prefer.

We CC in a narrowboat but recently bought this boat:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dize5ym1o9rzyab/Josefine%200013.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eebo6ek1qtx18z9/Josefine%200012.jpg?dl=0

to move off shore and will live on her. We are currently refitting her to our needs, then we are likely to spend some years in and around the Scandinavian countries or west coast of Scotland while we get our sea legs (plenty of sheltered waters and good anchorages).

Last time we sailed was over 40 years ago.

Not sure how serious you are, but I am a firm believer in pursuing your dreams, life is way too short to squander it.

If you really wanted to do it, learning to sail and getting appropriate qualifications would be part of the fun and take no time at all.

Edited by Joshua

Personally, I think the most important factor is how active a life style you want, life on the canals is VERY undemanding, whilst the ocean demands your constant attention, which do you prefer.

We CC in a narrowboat but recently bought this boat:https://www.dropbox.com/s/dize5ym1o9rzyab/Josefine%200013.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eebo6ek1qtx18z9/Josefine%200012.jpg?dl=0

to move off shore and will live on her. We are currently refitting her to our needs, then we are likely to spend some years in and around the Scandinavian countries or west coast of Scotland while we get our sea legs (plenty of sheltered waters and good anchorages).

Last time we sailed was over 40 years ago.

Not sure how serious you are, but I am a firm believer in pursuing your dreams, life is way too short to squander it.

If you really wanted to do it, learning to sail and getting appropriate qualifications would be part of the fun and take no time at all.

She is a lovely boat! Looks like a Baltic Trading Ketch?