Sea going Boat

zubeye

Featured Posts

Does anybody know much about sea going boats? I'm looking to exchange my narrowboat for something that will get me to the East coast of Spain and back, but will also survive a lock. Also something as simple to drive as a canal boat would be handy as I have zero experience! Any suggestions on what kind of boat and training I should be looking at?

Edited by zubeye

I went across the Bay of biscay on converted flat bottomed ferry in force something or other...if your journey intends to take in any similar challenge be very careful and take the sick bags and stabilisers and...guess my geography is probably way out.

Unless you are looking at sailing boats, you will struggle to find a 'motor boat' that can easily make the trip (due to fuel usage if for no other reason)

I would not consider it in anything less than a 30 footer, and preferably a 40 footer. You will ideally need twin engines.

If your narrowboat is worth £100,000 then you may be able to exchange it for something capable of doing the journey with an experienced captain.

Something like this is capable, but the fuel tanks are only 100 gallons you would have to work out a route that allowed you to re-fuel. every 3 or 4 hours.

http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/advert/fairline-turbo-36-chichester/40926041

On a long sea run we used to average about 1.5 miles PER GALLON (per 4.5 litres) - if (say) your trip is 1000 miles each way then you are looking at £9000 fuel cost.

You need equipment, a sea going boat, training, - I could go on & on.

Its not practical, and nothing like driving a narrowboat.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Needless to say it's a wee bit different than doing 3mph on a canal. Make sure you get all the charts, know all about lighthouses and their differing light sequences, learn to use a compass, sextant, have plenty of underwear changes available but above all, take care to follow the mooring laws as attached photo will demonstrate.

spain

• Greenie 2

Depends if you want to go fast or slow.

Pretty sure something like a Colvic Watson or a Fisher 30 would do it but not much use on the cut.

How about a dutch cruiser like a Pedro ? Not sure what they are like at sea.

I hate lumpy water - even coming down the tidal thames past tower bridge a couple of weeks ago on a mildly windy day on my barge gave me the willies

She rolls terribly

I kept reciting what i would say on the vhf if a rope wrapped itself round the prop :rolleyes:

phill, on 06 Sept 2014 - 9:10 PM, said:

Odd as it may sound, people do reach the Mediterranean without investing in a diesel tanker.

http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boats.phtml?id=65

One of these and a year spent estuary pottering would see you well set up.

Read the first 7 words of post #9

Indeed the boat in your link could be used - but it would help to be able to sail - the OP is looking for :

something as simple to drive as a canal boat would be handy as I have zero experience

Having to 'jibe' (or Gybe) and 'Tack' may be a step to far.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Sorry, I thought I had written 'One of these and a year spent estuary pottering would see you well set up.'

I suggest a read of Jonathan Raban's Cruising for initial inspiration.

Interesting that you should think a twin turbo engined planing cruiser 'as simple to drive as a canal boat'.

Now, run along do and have a fight in the mirror.

Edited by phill

I cut my teeth on the Catalina channel, which can go from being a lake to 20' waves breaking over your boat in a matter of minutes. I've been in storms in my sailboat where I only could use the main with three reefs and I put on my wet suit because I was under water more than on top of it. How does a foggy morning with 30' visibility and 20 rolling swells sound to you? Is your stomach up to that? Does TV makes dull company mean anything to you? Can you navigate with electronics, and without them when they fail?

The ocean is a whole different thing from a canal. While you may strive to do your boating under sunny skies and calm seas, you have to be prepared for the fact that the ocean can change in the blink of an eye, and you can't just pull over to the side and wait out the weather. You also have to keep your boat in very good mechanical order, ship shape and seaworthy, because when it comes right down to it, you are very much alone on the ocean and help is most often a long way away.

Not that you shouldn't try it. I learned to navigate and got the equivalent of your RYA certificate when I was only 14. But you need to learn what you are doing before you venture out. Many times with the sea, one chance is all you get.

Odd as it may sound, people do reach the Mediterranean without investing in a diesel tanker.

http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boats.phtml?id=65

One of these and a year spent estuary pottering would see you well set up.

Yup, that Westerly 33' looks like a lot of boat for the money and 33' is a real comfortable size for what he wants to do.

I've met a fair few people living on Westerlys. They do seem very comfortable boats, a good stable learners boat and robust and reliable. With a small Bukh they are incredibly manouverable and easy to steer. Fast too under engine.

Bilge keels too, you can traverse the Canal du Midi.

Edited by phill

On a practical note, my friend on the Rhone tells me that the French canals and rivers in the south are full of boats that have come up from the Med because they can't afford the horrendous coastal mooring fees. I cant help thinking that a couple of years on a canal boat and a trip down the tidal Thames doesn't really prepare one for the realities of lumpy water including the expense that it entails. Not that I know anything about the OP's financial situation of course. He could have just won the lottery for all I know!

Edited by blackrose

Naughtycal on here..is 'seagoing'.

I have done the RYA ;powerboat level 2.

You should do this....as once you head out to sea...and hit waves at 28 knots...you may change your mind !!

Yes..you could get a 'non-planing' boat...but they wallow...

I did my RYA PBL2 in Eastbourne.

The 'trainer' said that only 20% of the boats ever move.

He told me..the 'guy' convinces his wife..they buy a boat.

They head out to sea and are terrified.

The wife says "I'm never going to do that again".

The guy won't admit he made a mistake.

They keep the boat in the marina for a respectable period..usually 2 years...and tell friends "we're spending the weekend on our boat".

They go to the marina...sit on the boat..have tea...and then go home...

You HAVE to do RYA PBL1 or PBL2 as there is a serious possibilty that this will happen to you...

Don't kid yourself you'll be OK..as you have experienced some 'choppy water'.

You need to learn to navigate..there's a big ferry coming.....then fog drops from nowhere...

You are out of sight of land...

Also...sea going boat....powerful diesel engine 2-4 Miles per gallon.

Half that for 2 engines.

Twin petrol engines...1-2 miles per gallon...or less...

Can you afford 35 gallons an hour...?

When going through Thames locks...near Goring..I had a 38 foot twin petrol behind me.

He told me he was doing 2 MPG at 5MPH.

Tick this calculator for a typical 4.3L Mercruiser..and see the fuel consumption at maximum revs !!

http://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/mercury-mercruiser-454-7.4-fuel-consumption-us-gallons

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

The thing that appeals to me is the idea of crawling along the Catalonia coast, anchoring every day at a new spot, and shooting in on a dingy for supplies. Mooring up for a weekend just every fortnight in an overpriced marina. Sounds appealing, no?

The thing that appeals to me is the idea of crawling along the Catalonia coast, anchoring every day at a new spot, and shooting in on a dingy for supplies. Mooring up for a weekend just every fortnight in an overpriced marina. Sounds appealing, no?

You can't necessarily just anchor anywhere along the coast and row your dinghy into shore. You pretty much need a protected anchorage because you aren't going to be able to get a dinghy in and out where there are waves, and you have to anchor a ways out to avoid the swells pulling your anchor whilst you are in the pub.

You might want to consider crewing on a yacht for a while just to get some experience of seafaring ways. You can search yacht crew sites and put your name on the list and see if you get any offers. You'll probably have to take some courses as most yacht managers require some basic certifications for employment, but it's not like the certs are real in depth or hard to achieve. Some are just basic first aid, CPR and knowing not to pee into the wind.

The RYA courses are a good idea too. Basic seamanship skills are pretty straightforward and fun to learn. Navigation is really quite easy. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of the seamanship classes I've ever taken. BTW TV makes dull company is a navigational mnemonic for True Variation Magnetic Deviation Compass. True ± Variation = Magnetic ± Deviation = Compass. and then you know which way to steer the boat.

If you are going to cruise the Med, you'll probably want to learn how to scuba dive too. I couldn't imagine living on those waters and not wanting to go beneath them now and then.

Yes, anchoring in a bay on a good day/night is appealing, but I imagine the calm conditions required to make that practical only happen about 10% of the time. Once the sun sets the wind seems to pick up, so the other 90% is probably going to be uncomfortable with waves hitting the boat keeping you awake, and then you might wish you were in the marina.

If it were that easy to anchor up for free in the Med I'm sure everyone would be doing it rather than paying extortionate marina fees.

Edit: Sorry I'm not trying to pour cold water on your dreams, it's just they do seem a tad naïve. Anyway, I assume you wouldn't have posted on the forum without expecting some opinions.

Edited by blackrose