CRT Volunteers

KenK

Featured Posts

P1000781_zpse1b011c3.jpg

P1000782_zpsc53eb0d9.jpg

Three new CRT Volunteers doing a great job controlling the vegetation on a lock on the Staffs & Worcs. Eco friendly, quiet and no messy grass flung all over the boat, I understand the waste product is commercially viable as well.

All credit to CRT for this great new initative.

Ken

Being a Londoner, I don't know much about agriculture, although in fact I have one nephew who maintains farm machinery and another who's just qualified as a herdsman and is currently looking for his first job.

But I have read somewhere that a horse needs an acre of good grazing to sustain it, which implies either these animals are responsible for miles of towpath, or they're regularly moved on (CM = Continuous Munchers?). Or they've just escaped from a field?

I reckon they're bright enough not to fall in, on the basis that at Beachy Head they have sheep grazing the cliff top and I see no reason to think sheep are more intelligent than horses/ponies.

smiley_offtopic.gifWell this lock beats me as we've just cruised the whole length of the S&W from Gt Haywood to Stourport and most of the locks are named not numbered and pic shows lock 11 on the beam! .... and I'm sure I would have noticed that large bridge over the bottom of the lock!!! Unless this has been erected since my trip or does this call another trip to 'specksavers' lol

smiley_offtopic.gifWell this lock beats me as we've just cruised the whole length of the S&W from Gt Haywood to Stourport and most of the locks are named not numbered and pic shows lock 11 on the beam! .... and I'm sure I would have noticed that large bridge over the bottom of the lock!!! Unless this has been erected since my trip or does this call another trip to 'specksavers' lol

It is the Worcester and Birmingham isn't it?

You might be right, I'm guessing it was on the S&W based only on the fact that it is one of the last photographs taken during our last outing in August.

Might also be Worcester to Birmingham as we went around the Droitwhich ring from the Severn and then back around to Worcester.

The camera has more gizmos than I can use including telling me where I took the photo, why is there never a teenager available when you need one?

Ken

Hay....now they're pulling at straw

Time for boaters to get back in the saddle and go cruising. Some say staying in a marina is a more stable kind of life, but I think they're just chewing on the wrong grass. Some boaters wont leave the marina because they get giddy-up the locks.

Is that sign for real?

wacko.png

Yes, I think someone in CRT has a sense of humour, It's either side of a line of moorings.

Ken

Hay....now they're pulling at straw

Time for boaters to get back in the saddle and go cruising. Some say staying in a marina is a more stable kind of life, but I think they're just chewing on the wrong grass. Some boaters wont leave the marina because they get giddy-up the locks.

They way you're going Dean I think you're chewing the wrong kind of grass.

Ken

Edited by KenK

Believe it or not but just down the road from me there was a recent court case were some travellers were prosecuted for fly grazing it was the first case of its kind and they had very similar pony,s to the ones in the picture so I would guess there's more than likely a travellers site not far from this lock and the pony,s are just put out to graze on other peoples land ,so I would,nt be leaving your boat unattended near by

Believe it or not but just down the road from me there was a recent court case were some travellers were prosecuted for fly grazing it was the first case of its kind and they had very similar pony,s to the ones in the picture so I would guess there's more than likely a travellers site not far from this lock and the pony,s are just put out to graze on other peoples land ,so I would,nt be leaving your boat unattended near by

Why?

Ponies don't eat boats do they?

P1000781_zpse1b011c3.jpg

Three new CRT Volunteers doing a great job controlling the vegetation on a lock on the Staffs & Worcs. Eco friendly, quiet and no messy grass flung all over the boat, I understand the waste product is commercially viable as well.

All credit to CRT for this great new initative.

Ken

So these are CaRT Horses?