WI-FI booster antenna

davidc

Featured Posts

Just thought I would share this experience.

The Wi-Fi signal on my marina is weak where my jetty is, so I look around and bought one of these;

http://www.acdctv.co.uk/shop/accessories/high-power-long-range-802-11gn-wifi-usb-adapter/

And it did in fact boost the marina signal (did what it said).

But surprisingly it also boosted the BT Wi-Fi hotspot in the village which I was unaware of ,as I have a BT broadband account it turns out I can logon for free and the signal was strong for me to watch iPlayer or Netflix without buffering happening every couple of minutes, and when my son came to spend August I turned my PC in to a hotspot and he was able to play on Xbox live and in his words the lag was acceptable for him to play with his mates on line.

So when we went out cruising I tested the booster and where able to access BT Wi-Fi in the following places with no trouble except being only able to watch iPlayer or play on Xbox live not both

Barlaston T/M near bridge 103 signal 5 bars

Rode Heath T/M near bridge 140 signal 4 bars

Middlewich Stroppie between bridge 30 and 29 signal 3 bars

Tattenhall Marine No hotspot but boosted their Wi-Fi signal so we could both use it.

Nattwich stroppie next to aqueduct signal 4 bars

Market Drayton next to bridge 65 4 bars

Gnosall Heath eventual between bridge 35/34 at 3 bars tried first between 35a/35 but no signal

Opposite Calf Heath marina 4 bars

For me it has well been worth the money .

Edited by davidc

Hi David I have a similar bit of kit with an additional router/hub , branded as Alfa. It picks up wifi 100 of metres away.

It is good, bet you were pleased when it worked so well ;0)

Because we have recently moved to EE broadband at home (5.50 per month inc anytime calls to landline & mobiles ) I have bought a Fon Simpl which gives me an account & allows me to access the BT fon signals from most residential BT subscribers.

Cheers

Mark

I am extremely pleased with it you can get a router for my booster but decided against it as you can turn windows 8 PC in to a hot spot easily which I did for my son so he could use his Xbox to access the internet.

and the whole thing is cheaper than mobile dongles.