K&A to braunston ring.

kremmen

Featured Posts

Hi.

Subject to the water conditions.

Just mulling over the idea of a 3 or 4 week trip starting in October . Starting in Newbury I thought I would pop up to Braunston and then make a ring of it and return.

My question is mainly to ask opinions on whether to go clockwise or anti?

I know little about the tidal stretch of the Thames and wonder if it might be preferable to go upstream or down.

Plus and general advice on this route gratefully accepted.

Paul

I would say go with the flow, ie down the Thames to Brentford, up the GU to Braunston, down the Oxford canal and the back down the Thames and onto the K & A. IMO the best way onto and off of the Oxford canal is via Dukes Cut.

Dave

Thanks all. I just need to get to the GU. I am currently working as a temporary relief further up river but know little of the tidal stretch. Maybe I should ring Teddington and get some advice. Going down stream seems to be the favourite. If I am looking at the advice I should plan my trip to the GU on a rising tide ?

Paul

Do keep you eyes on the winter stoppage programmes while doing your planning. My reading of the CRT & Thames stoppage program says that you need to be back to Newbury by 3rd November or you could be stuck on the Oxford until nearly Christmas.

Also bear in mind when doing your planning that we might have a lot of rain and that the Thames might go on to red boards so you cannot use it. The fact that there are red boards will not delay the Thames stoppages. I know this from bitter experience a few years ago while trying to get to the K&A during October, I got stuck at Abingdon on red boards, it was a nail biting time waiting for the river to drop while the start of the winter stoppages drew ever closer! Fortunately I made it with just a few days to spare.

Rik