Gardener 2LW or Kelvin K3?

Markinaboat

Featured Posts

Is the K3 from NB Enid?

If so that's a nice boat. (Deep draughted).

Yes it is. Are you saying Enid is deeper drafted than other Northwich Traders? I used to live on Marcellus (70ft small woolwich) and she drew almost 4ft at the stern with the water tank near to empty!

Yes it is. Are you saying Enid is deeper drafted than other Northwich Traders? I used to live on Marcellus (70ft small woolwich) and she drew almost 4ft at the stern with the water tank near to empty!

I don't know if it's deeper drafted than normal ones (I doubt it) but the Kelvin may drop it a bit further. I did speak to the previous owner and he did mention that the boat dragged bottom a bit due to the engine weight iirc.

I like the RW Davies boats! they were on my shortlist of boats to buy. Even got a quote for a sailaway from the man (Mr T) himself.

Edited by mark99

My previous (and first) boat was a Northwich Trader.

Before I got her the previous owner had removed the K3 and replaced it with a 3LW.

Yet another....I think a pattern is beginning to emerge!

Incidentally that 3LW which is 80 years old this year runs like a Swiss watch.

AFAIK the NTs are all built with the same draught.

My previous (and first) boat was a Northwich Trader.

Before I got her the previous owner had removed the K3 and replaced it with a 3LW.

Yet another....I think a pattern is beginning to emerge!

Incidentally that 3LW which is 80 years old this year runs like a Swiss watch.

AFAIK the NTs are all built with the same draught.

Was that OSLO Andy?

I passed OSLO on Monday and noted a VERY shiny 3LW nestling in the enjun 'ole...

MtB

Well, we collect our 2006 NT complete with existing K3 at the end of the month so no going back now! I've done as much research as I can (not just here) and it would seem that the K3 is bulletproof if rebuilt and installed properly. I am more than capable of maintenance so remain optimistic! A lovely chap called Dick Goble is coming to check the engine over the week after next. Apparently, he is one of the most knowledgeable Kelvin guys around.

Some of you will no doubt slate me to learn that I'll have a motorbike on the tug deck! ninja.gif However, I promise to fabricate a suitably well tailored canvass to keep her aesthetically pleasing!

We're getting very excited! cheers.gif

Mark

Dick is indeed a most knowledgeable guy, he's a great bloke, generous with his expertise and as straight as a die. You are in safe hands with him, honestly! Do say hello from me when he calls next week and congratulations on your purchase.

Cheers

Dave

Well the thing is, they are not obsolete at all really are they? They were never current in the first plaice.

What working boat was EVER powered by a Gardner???

MtB

Did K1, K3 ever get used for working boats? on the cut that is.

Well the thing is, they are not obsolete at all really are they? They were never current in the first plaice.

What working boat was EVER powered by a Gardner???

MtB

I had this conversation with a chap at Alvecote who reckoned that a few Gardners were installed in working boats - three, he reckoned.

Each time I see 'Oslo' (I wonder if there's more than one boat with that name) I wonder if it's actually named after the city or whether it's a play on words: "Oh, slow". But I suspect that with a 3LW at its heart it wouldn't be slo at all.

Did K1, K3 ever get used for working boats? on the cut that is.

Not as far as I know. It was Nationals, Armstrong Siddeley, and Lister mostly installed in the working motors AFAIK. What other engine makes should be on this list?

MtB

Not as far as I know. It was Nationals, Armstrong Siddeley, and Lister mostly installed in the working motors AFAIK. What other engine makes should be on this list?

MtB

Petter

The Cowburn & Cowpar boats were originally fitted with single cylinder Gardner semi diesels. Stork, Skylark and Swan still have them.

I've just been looking through Sonia Rolt's excellent book, " A Canal People ". On page 48 there is a photo of a Barlow pair going round the turn at Suttons. Part of the caption reads

" as the motor was equipped with a powerful new Gardener engine "

The motor in question was the Braunston built Ian.

Dave

Princess Anne and Ibis/Ibex were refitted with 2L2 Gardners (only one 'e'!).

The question was not specific about narrow boats, though the questioner was probably 'narrow minded'.

Several Leeds & Liverpool Short Boats were fitted with Gardners, L2 and LW, and my own working tug had a 3J5 originally!

Tim

Were BMC engines after the working boat era ie retrofits?

I would suggest yes and no. Yes, they date (I think) from the late '50s onwards, so towards the end of commercial carrying, and no, I have never seen a working boat powered by one.

Yes, that's her.

Looking after their boat is some people's hobby.

It's the current owner's religion.

I noticed they've squeezed in a forepeak cabin now. Nicely painted but somewhat clumsily designed and rather spoiling the lines of the boat in my opinion.

No obvious access into it that I could see. I wondered if one crawls through under the tug deck.

MtB

I noticed they've squeezed in a forepeak cabin now.

No obvious access into it that I could see. I wondered if one crawls through under the tug deck.

MtB

Perhaps one keeps one's gas bottles in it, innit?