bow thruster problem Vetus 55kg

Phoenix_V

Featured Posts

Bow thruster stopped working the other day.

After analyzing the situation it became apparent that the control panel was not sending the signal to the thruster to operate.

There are just 2 wires (plus neutral) 12 volts (low current) down one tells the motor to go one way and down the other wire to rotate the other way, no signal was being sent.

Took the thing apart reasembled and it started to work again.

In the meantime found out from Vetus that a new panel is £120!!!

In principle it is just a switch but there are a lot of electronics inside which apparently stop you changing direction without a pause, running it to long (and overheating) etc.

If it goes again do i really need all these or should i just buy two switches?

What does the team think.

I like my bowthruster, it rarely gets used but is a convenience hen it does no suggestions to get rid of it please.

HI

Depending on how old your bow thruster is the remote panel may not be of the time delay type, (time delay to stop switching directions instantly which tends to blow the main fuse) your system may be fitted with a separate time delay unit.

The installation may not even have any time delay, if the installer didn't fancy spending an extra 50 quid.

There is another timer fitted to the later panels which automatically switches the panel off after 30 minutes of idle time??? A silly arrangement that has the operator pressing the power button twice to make the thing work because it has timed out.

So my opinion would be rig your own switch arrangement.

Power on/off preferably with an indicator light (fed from the blade fuse on the thruster itself) and then Port and Starboard switching on the Blue and White wires.

Roger

As above - after ours also failed I replaced it with two weatherproof and vandal proof push switches from Maplin, insert the delay between forward and aft mentally, and fitted an on/off switch in the cabin so it can't be operated when not aboard...

Has worked this last couple of years absolutely fine

Nick