boat exchange

Featured Posts

biggrin.png (sorry just playing with smileys)

We regularly exchange homes through a website called homeexchange, and have travelled to US/Canada/sweden/NLs/Sweden and UK doing this.

Is there something similar for boats? I've seen the part share things advertised but nothing for boat swaps. I havent got one in the water yet but how would say swapping for two weeks between Ireland and the UK, or the North and the South of the UK work or how would people feel about it. strikes me it would be ahcnce to see parts of the waterways you wouldnt get to on your own boat?

Any thoughts????excl.png

My guess (and it is a guess) is that if you are getting no 'benefit' (as in monetary gain, or benefits in kind) then you are not hiring your boat - you are lending it to a 'friend' which is certainly covered by my 'normal' insurance.

As the boat is not 'on hire' than a normal BSS would apply.

MInd you HMRC do 'tax' you on air-miles received in the course of business but used 'privately' so they consider them 'benefits in kind'.

Maybe swapping for a 'better' boat is a benefit ?

biggrin.png (sorry just playing with smileys)

We regularly exchange homes through a website called homeexchange, and have travelled to US/Canada/sweden/NLs/Sweden and UK doing this.

Is there something similar for boats? I've seen the part share things advertised but nothing for boat swaps. I havent got one in the water yet but how would say swapping for two weeks between Ireland and the UK, or the North and the South of the UK work or how would people feel about it. strikes me it would be ahcnce to see parts of the waterways you wouldnt get to on your own boat?

Any thoughts????excl.png

To be clear, are you wanting to swap a boat or a house?

I quite like the idea.

We regularly swap houses and often car also, saving a lot of money. Often the car insurance is no extra to put ona visitor as named for a short period, and according to the home exchange website there are no issues with home insurance. In fact I am of the opinion it's safer than leaving the house empty for three weeks. You can check out the website which I think is homeexchange.com for the details but there are others.

I am not asking for a boat swap now, but wondering if it exists. I would think it safer swapping with another boater than a layperson and it would let you see another boat and another waterway. Can't see why boat insurance would be an issue if house and car is no problem. As my boat is on a trailer somewhere it's no urgency but I just wondered if it existed, or could exist on this forum. I know people often boat abroad, why not swap? Some even swap for six months or a year. Just a thought.

Boat insurance policies usually allow the boat to be used by someone else with the insured's permission. So lending your boat out, as long as there is no reward, is OK. I'm not sure though, whether the use of someone else's boat or house in return (with no cash changing hands) would count as a reward.