Why is Lichfield Basin empty?

Paul C

Featured Posts

We went through Stourport-on-Severn in the past few days. The basin area looks vibrant and full of boats. Because we arrived at around 4pm from lower down the River Severn, we took the first mooring we could find (on the river) then came up the 2x staircases in the next morning. But we had plenty of time to walk around and enjoy the basins etc. Interestingly, there's only about 2 visitor moorings in the upper basin area, the rest of the moorings seem to be long term ones. There's 4-6 on the river (depending on how long each boat is) and there's about 3 after the 5th lock (the big 12ft deep one), then around another 3-4 beyond the next bridge.

But....Lichfield basin is there, it has all posh new mooring pontoons and bollards etc, the link from the upper basin is there and all that blocks it is a moored boat - so why isn't this basin in use? It would make sense to use it etc...

We were told that the residents of the new flats get first refusal on the moorings and until all the flats are occupied they won't sell or let any if the moorings to others. Not sure if they means the developers or CRT.

We were told that the residents of the new flats get first refusal on the moorings and until all the flats are occupied they won't sell or let any if the moorings to others. Not sure if they means the developers or CRT.

Yes that is correct and also under the T&C of the moorings is no engine running and no fires.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 02/05/2015 at 20:58, Alway Swilby said:

We came up from the Severn today. Lichfield basin still has no boats and stop planks are in place to make sure no one tries to get in there.

Impressed with Stourport in general though.

Ditto this year. The plaque on the entrance bridge wall makes sad, ironic, reading now.

apr01-t.jpg

apr01-u.jpg

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Lets face it. A goldfish in a bowl would have more privacy than a boat stuck in that horrendous location!! Thats about as bad as moorings can possibly get.

I agree, and it's as much to do with the residents of the flats not wanting 'noisy and smelly' narrowboats moored outside their windows either . Others have referred to the recent article in Waterways World (April edition) which mentions quite a few other similar developments around the country. It seems these residents enjoy living by water but don't want their view or peace ruined by boats.

49 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I agree, and it's as much to do with the residents of the flats not wanting 'noisy and smelly' narrowboats moored outside their windows either . Others have referred to the recent article in Waterways World (April edition) which mentions quite a few other similar developments around the country. It seems these residents enjoy living by water but don't want their view or peace ruined by boats.

Given the behaviour of some boaters, their concern is understandable. 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Grassman said:

The marina where we are has been planned and developed as a community of houses and flats built around a marina. The marina was partially built before the houses were built and occupied so that the purchases would be aware that boats were going to be there.

There are some terms and conditions for both the houses and the boats though to make things run smoothly. No solid fuel or coal fires being the main one affecting the boats. But then again there are only a handful of narrowboat moorings in the marina so that doesn't affect most of the boat owners in the marina.

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sorry its at home but I will be home early next week if that helps

Thanks but post 13 largely helps. It was my (prejudiced) assumption but I wanted check out whether I was unduly biased. Seems not. Perhaps some public body should ask for their money. back. It really is cheating the system to promise something and then  do another. Where have I heard that before? Actually in most cases it is a matter of finding tgat reality is a lot harder than empty promises. 

15 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Here's another one, this time in Leeds Dock (or whatever other name it goes under).

IMG_20190403_160736404.jpg

To be fair, there is that sort of pink rowing boat thing moored on the right hand pontoon, so it is in use. Another place I'd not want to moor long term. A sort of combined goldfish bowl and wind tunnel. Not checked on the situation recently, but for years there were some very expensive residential moorings up for auction that never seemed to get let.

Jen

9 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Here's another one, this time in Leeds Dock (or whatever other name it goes under).

IMG_20190403_160736404.jpg

There's never anybody about either... Its dull, the only time I've been in there is on foot to see a play on the water. Don't like mooring at Granary Wharf either... Prefer to go Woodlesford or Rodley. 

• 2 weeks later...

There was a time when Lichfield Basin was known as Mart Lane and in addition to narrow boats there were trows. The last regular use was for boats delivering coal to Stourport Power Station. Now the basin have been recreated in this new version. Is it to be purely a water feature for the residents, or will it be of use again for moorings. The latter would be of use to boaters of course. 

889065.jpg.7effa08c502ac66c641a397fd8b97c48.jpg

35 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Now the basin have been recreated in this new version. Is it to be purely a water feature for the residents, or will it be of use again for moorings. The latter would be of use to boaters of course. 

I refer you to my post #7. Can't beat a willy waving contest to slow down progress, eh?