CRT recruiting a Welfare Officer

Dave_P

Featured Posts

https://careers-canalrivertrust.icims.com/jobs/1488/welfare-officer/job

Responsibilities:
  • Provide expert advice for staff, volunteers, and stakeholders on matters involving vulnerable boaters, suggesting appropriate courses of action.
  • Be the point of contact in enforcement cases where the boat owner is discovered to have welfare needs, or has entered the enforcement process as a result of disability, illness, mental health issues, old age or responsibility for children.
  • Review current enforcement cases where the boat is the owner's home, and if so support the customer and Trust employees to establish the appropriate welfare assistance to the boater.
  • Develop a database of relevant organisations that can provide welfare assistance to boat dwellers who need such intervention and support. Support waterway and enforcement staff in developing and maintaining contact details for local support agencies.

• Review the Trust’s enforcement process to identify and establish improvements that would:

a) Prevent vulnerable boaters needlessly entering the enforcement process; and

B) Reduce the unnecessary use of legal recourse to resolve the situation.

• Implement the Trust’s welfare reporting and recording procedures.
  • Help establish, and subsequently lead on, the Trust’s policies on vulnerable boaters and assist in its compliance with relevant legislation, for example the Equality Act.
  • Ensure confidentiality is maintained throughout.

To my mind this is long, long overdue. It essentially confirms that despite years of denials, CRT do have a duty of care to vulnerable boaters. I suspect this has something to do with Sally Ash's departure and may mark a new way of thinking in the Trust. It could be argued that local authorities already have these responsibilities, but, this simply doesn't work in practice, for obvious reasons.

My one reservation, is that by making it a short contract, they won't get the quality of applicant they need, because this is one hell of a big job for someone.

Pity I don't drive as I'd be straight into applying for this.

Lee.

I certainly wouldn't.

Who ever gets the job will need the skin of a rhino, the tact and diplomacy not seen anywhere else other than the UN and the negotiation skills of the best bod at ACAS. Combined with empathy, assertiveness, excelent understanding of mental health issues and the needs of those with long term conditions.

A very very hard job I would say, probably the most difficult job of any body at the Trust.

That said well done to CRT for listening and creating the role, I hope they find the right individual to fill it.

I certainly wouldn't.

Who ever gets the job will need the skin of a rhino, the tact and diplomacy not seen anywhere else other than the UN and the negotiation skills of the best bod at ACAS. Combined with empathy, assertiveness, excelent understanding of mental health issues and the needs of those with long term conditions.

A very very hard job I would say, probably the most difficult job of any body at the Trust.

That said well done to CRT for listening and creating the role, I hope they find the right individual to fill it.

Do you think I should apply for the job?

• Greenie 2

Certainly a very welcome step forward.

Just one question - why only "reduce the unnecessary use of legal recourse"? If use of legal recourse in certain circumstances IS "unnecessary", surely it should be dispensed with altogether?

Which said, even a reduction in unnecessary legal action is desirable, if only so that necessary legal action can be concentrated on.

But why is it only temporary?

My guess would be to see how effective the role (and the incumbent) is before committing long term permanent funding to it. It will however discourage some from applying as has already been said.

A probationary period would have been a better way of dealing with that issue IMHO.

Do you think I should apply for the job?

I had you in mind when I posted, and that is the honest truth. Though I should add not as a potential applicant.

Edited by The Dog House

I think if you read the ad carefully it's looking for someone who knows the welfare systems well enough to get some of the 'problem' boaters off the cut painlessly (from a C&RT point of view) and without recourse to unpopular court action whenever possible. I anticipate future headlines featuring folk who are being evicted / having their boats removed with supporting evidence that this is a last resort and they have refused the council care arranged for them. I'm not taking a view on the merits or otherwise of this but would-be applicants shouldn't assume it's a fluffy bunny role.

To see whether there would be any benefit to the trust, without having the embarrassment of having to sack a full time permanent employee after a few months? It's a lot easier to make a temporary post permanent than the other way round

Sadly though, the best candidates are likely to be permanently employed already and won't apply. They would have been better to aim for the best possible candidate and see how things go. If the post is found to be non-effective after a year or two then make it redundant. All employees are at risk of redundancy if it's found that your post is no longer needed.

Sadly though, the best candidates are likely to be permanently employed already and won't apply. They would have been better to aim for the best possible candidate and see how things go. If the post is found to be non-effective after a year or two then make it redundant. All employees are at risk of redundancy if it's found that your post is no longer needed.

Cynically I predict that a substandard person is employed who makes little impact and is not renewed. Then CRT can say they tried and it didn't work.

My guess would be to see how effective the role (and the incumbent) is before committing long term permanent funding to it. It will however discourage some from applying as has already been said.

A probationary period would have been a better way of dealing with that issue IMHO.

I had you in mind when I posted, and that is the honest truth. Though I should add not as a potential applicant.

That is disappointing . . . I can't imagine why.

I can only speculate on how the role works out. The original idea as discussed with Sally was to help boaters that for example were having trouble getting Housing Benefit to enable them to get a mooring. Have one point of contact for boaters for example that needed a temporary mooring while they had medical problems. I think it is a great step forward. One of my grumbles with CRT has been that they do not have anyone who can sit down with boaters at a very early stage of enforcement. It will be of no benefit to boaters who just want to not move but will be a help to those with genuine needs

As a youth worker who has worked for the same council for ten years and was forced to take a variation of contract or lose my job I can honestly say most jobs of this type now are temporary contracts renewed each year it is only management on proper contracts.

As a youth worker who has worked for the same council for ten years and was forced to take a variation of contract or lose my job I can honestly say most jobs of this type now are temporary contracts renewed each year it is only management on proper contracts.

Not all councils operate in same way, and in any case a temporary council contract is more likely to become permanent than a temporary charity sector contract. That's just how it is. Furthermore, this is a new post which makes it even more risky.

Not all councils operate in same way, and in any case a temporary council contract is more likely to become permanent than a temporary charity sector contract. That's just how it is. Furthermore, this is a new post which makes it even more risky.

As someone looking from the outside it does not show much commitment to the post, more like,e let's be seen to be trying to keep some nagging boaters happy. I know CRT would much rather hand this over to the SA or some outside agencies. That was always the answer we got in the early days of trying to promote this job, though again in fairness to Sally she always saw the value in this position and I think Dean might be the same. I do sometimes get very confused at the ways CRT work but at this stage will just be pleased that they have made a start

Certainly a very welcome step forward.

Just one question - why only "reduce the unnecessary use of legal recourse"? If use of legal recourse in certain circumstances IS "unnecessary", surely it should be dispensed with altogether?

Which said, even a reduction in unnecessary legal action is desirable, if only so that necessary legal action can be concentrated on.

I suspect the idea is to ensure that other options besides the legal one are used more often- for example, if helping a boater get benefits they're entitled to lets them get a winter mooring and leave the non compliant CC process, then that's a win all round.

If it had more security I would certainly look at it, brash as it may sound, the right applicant could probably negotiate a longer term. I've done that before.

An interesting prospect, and a brave move as to my mind it's a step closer for the trust in admitting it has a duty of care and is acting as a landlord by default.

Edited by Wanted

If it had more security I would certainly look at it, brash as it may sound, the right applicant could probably negotiate a longer term. I've done that before.

An interesting prospect, and a brave move as to my mind it's a step closer for the trust in admitting it has a duty of care and is acting as a landlord by default.

Yes go for it please

I suspect the idea is to ensure that other options besides the legal one are used more often- for example, if helping a boater get benefits they're entitled to lets them get a winter mooring and leave the non compliant CC process, then that's a win all round.

Yes that is the type of thing we were pushing for

• Greenie 1

Yes go for it please

I do have the relevant requirements to do it and it would be an excellent job that I would love, however... What with the burn on the way and my current job prospects looking good, 30k and a life on the road isn't enough to tempt me. Maybe if I could negotiate a free mooring as well...

I do have the relevant requirements to do it and it would be an excellent job that I would love, however... What with the burn on the way and my current job prospects looking good, 30k and a life on the road isn't enough to tempt me. Maybe if I could negotiate a free mooring as well...

A company boat? Now that could solve the other problem!!!