How to go about hiring a boat in London

Eihab Al-Nakib

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Hope you are well, I wonder if you can direct me where to look. On weekends I usually look for an escape to do some writing and have time away from the city noise. I was walking by Little Vince in Maidavale and the idea of having/hiring a parked boat there came to my mind. I was googling and ended up on your forum, I am basically not looking to sail or live full time on it; I am looking to hire a boat with decent furniture inside to have good time writing or just chill and have a nice meal. Where would I need to look to find something like this, do I have to buy a boat and rent a spot on the river somewhere, or I can find an arrangement to rent boat for weekends on regular basis?

Your help is much appreciated
Eihab

Have you considered a blow up canoe.....with a foldup table and chairs and picnic basket.....I think you'll be much more relaxed sitting under a tree with your book, than having to spend all that money to try and achieve the same thing ? :)

Strange that the ad. Doesn't mention compliance with a hire boat BSS or the additional licence requirements required by CRT.

I guess these types of hires are exempt............or perhaps not.

Do ABC and Viking Afloat say they have hire boat licences and yearly BSS's

Do ABC and Viking Afloat say they have hire boat licences and yearly BSS's

Well a quick check of Viking Afloat's web site would confirm yes they are properly licensed.

Strange that the ad. Doesn't mention compliance with a hire boat BSS or the additional licence requirements required by CRT.

Is writing a book on a rented narrowboat THAT risky a business...?

MtB

They're not exempt, you need same license insurance etc as any other hotel boat. Don't think most boaters that do this realise that they are breaching their license terms by doing it.

They're not exempt, you need same license insurance etc as any other hotel boat. Don't think most boaters that do this realise that they are breaching their license terms by doing it.

Does beg the question about what if anything CRT do if/when they see someone promoting their boat on the internet for a use that is outside the terms of their licence conditions. It wouldn't be hard to identify and trace the boaters concerned and inform them of the error of their ways.

I am sure the first time a 'guest' perishes in a fire or in a CO poisoning on one such boat that they will become interested then, of course for someone and their family it will be too late then.

I think you'll find that Jessie is a properly licensed hire boat! Whereas most of the other ads for boats on airnb aren't so legit - see previous threads about dodgy boat rentals in London.

I think you'll find that Jessie is a properly licensed hire boat! Whereas most of the other ads for boats on airnb aren't so legit - see previous threads about dodgy boat rentals in London.

Yeah, see TDH??!

If the OP drops his pen and injures his foot he can sue the insurance company* as the boat suggested by Roggie in post number six IS correctly insured!

MtB

* Or maybe he sues the landlord... Or himself for dropping the pen. Where's julynian?!

Fair enough, you wouldn't know it reading the ad. though. (Unless I missed it of course). I think given all the other dodgy boat rentals we hear about that they would be keen to promote they are a 'legit' enterprise.