Ashby Canal

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Eco mentalists!

If true. I am al for the avoidance of reckless and wanton destruction of wildlife but these loonies seem to be completely taking the pee.

Have these idiots forgotten what the canal was actually built for, it wasn't to create a linear duck pond it was to put boats on, it wasn't even built as a linear fishing pond, it was to put bluddy boats on.

Protect wildlife by all means but what is the point if we can't actually see it ever?

Which is why I raised the issue - I agree we need to look after flora and fauna but, following the experience of the Basingstoke, forewarned is forearmed - I wouldn't be the least surprised if Natural England tried to ban boating or severely restrict it and why do I think that - because I have seen it happen in the recent past. The minute that NE start to dictate is the minute all reasonable control seems to be lost. That's my honest opinion and I suppose I am sorry to say it but I have seen huge amounts of heartache on the Basingstoke in the last 25 years - discuss things rationally and everyone will try and work together but dictate by using the power of the law NE have at their disposal and they alienate the people they could work with. Edited by Leo No2

MtP you can read it that way if you wish, I think most that read my posts will see that I was simply trying to point out the scaremongering put out by some such as NBW is wrong and there is no danger of the Ashby being closed to boats

Correct the canal will not be closed to boats (under current proposals) but the Shackerstone Festival will be decimated.

I have seen a list of the moorings Natural England will allow. Locations that last year saw 50+ boats have been allocated as few as 2. Some boaters attending the festival will be allocated a mooring more than 3 miles away from the site. Mooring will not be permitted anywhere that towpath side reeds grow, and mainly single breasted elsewhere.

Anyone who knows the Ashby around the festival site will know what effect the last restriction will have on boat numbers.

George ex nb Alton retired

Correct the canal will not be closed to boats (under current proposals) but the Shackerstone Festival will be decimated.

I have seen a list of the moorings Natural England will allow. Locations that last year saw 50+ boats have been allocated as few as 2. Some boaters attending the festival will be allocated a mooring more than 3 miles away from the site. Mooring will not be permitted anywhere that towpath side reeds grow, and mainly single breasted elsewhere.

Anyone who knows the Ashby around the festival site will know what effect the last restriction will have on boat numbers.

This is the problem.

Historic boat owners plan out their routes through the summer season based upon their choice of festival to attend. Many are already booked in to attend the event. Many are already on their way there.

These people do not get paid to attend, they put diesel (or coal) in their boats at their own expense. some of the boats attending will be owned by charities or trusts who will be attending to further publicise their own cause. There are costs involved.

If a Trust puts diesel in a boat to attend this event and their volunteers spend a week or so getting the boat there how are they going to feel if they can't get any closer than 3 miles from the event? It is a complete waste of their time and money. It is also a complete waste of the time and money of private boat owners attending. These people who have been attending for years doing their bit to help promote the restoration of the canal. It is a fantastic event and one that is attended by huge numbers of people.

The festival organisers deserve the backing of everyone who actually cares about canals and boats.

I care passionately about wildlife and of course habitats have to be protected but this is a blatant victimisation of boat owners when there is no restriction on any of the other vehicles attending the event.

I worry that if there is not some urgent discussion to meet a middle ground the wrath of some boat owners might be felt in a way that can cause more damage to the environment than a bit of disturbance for one weekend

I think if some people in positions of influence and responsibility in this country paid as much attention to our children's welfare as they do to the welfare of a few blades of grass and butterflies we perhaps might not see news stories like this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28939089

Somehow the priorities are not right and the likes of Natural England need to understand they don't own the waterways, even though they think they actually might do.

Ive heard talk about English Nature and a local fishing club are talking about stopping boats visiting rallies such as the Shackerstone family festival saying boats are damaging the underwater ecology,

In my opinion the movement of boats oxygenate the water .Even busy canals wildlife is thriving , lots of fish being caught, birds successfully nesting etc.

Whats their problem ? And are we going to stand for it.

This wasn't published by the organisers of the Shackerstone Festival and there is enough room for all historic boats attending.

Their words not mine

I presume you mean the leaflet I posted a picture of when you say "this"

If that is the case I find it very odd that somebody would go to the trouble and expense of printing a quantity of flyers urging people to support the festival and purporting them to be by the festival organisers if they are not?

When you say "Their words not mine" Who are "they" please.

This entire thing is starting to become very convoluted!

Edited by cheshire~rose

Ive heard talk about English Nature and a local fishing club are talking about stopping boats visiting rallies such as the Shackerstone family festival saying boats are damaging the underwater ecology,

In my opinion the movement of boats oxygenate the water .Even busy canals wildlife is thriving , lots of fish being caught, birds successfully nesting etc.

Whats their problem ? And are we going to stand for it.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=69459&hl=

Let us not forget that BW in I think the late 60's or early 70's closed the southern Oxford for specific periods under pressure from anglers so that they could enjoy their sadistical urges, sorry 'sport,' in peace. that didn't last long. If natural England try to extend their actions on the Ashby then perhaps it is time for boaters to adopt a higher profile and consider some form of mass protest. Do not expect any meaningful support from The Cyclists, Anglers and Ramblers Trust Regards, HughC.

• Greenie 1

This wasn't published by the organisers of the Shackerstone Festival and there is enough room for all historic boats attending.

Their words not mine

Just for the record, my posting at 27 was not referring to historic boats who seem to have come out of this better than other boats who look like being severely restricted.

The best way to prevent disruption to fish would be to stop people yanking them out of the water on the end of a metal hook surely? Fishermen are hardly the best people to be concerned with the welfare of fish in the canals I would suggest.

Actually that is a good point. It's a very strange alliance if indeed the maggot drowners have hooked up (no pun intended) with natural England.

Sod the fish eh?

Edited by The Dog House

I may be missing the point but I thought it was just stopping mooring on a small section of towpath which is a designated SSSI.

But you can designate virtually anywhere an SSSI if you look hard enough for something interesting. SSSI is used as a political tool first and foremost these days in my opinion.

MtB

But you can designate virtually anywhere an SSSI if you look hard enough for something interesting. SSSI is used as a political tool first and foremost these days in my opinion.

MtB

Did they not use that tactic to limit mooring on the approach to Oxford?

An old report, mentioning BW, states that the top 10 kilometres of the Ashby is a SSSI. Lifeforms mentioned; emergent equatic vegetation and crayfish (hopefully not Signal), and species of damsel fly. Trees have been felled to allow more light onto the canal, on the main length, to encourage weed growth. The planting of appropriate reed and sedge species to reduce bank erosion.

Information from a case study by the Association of Inland Navigation Authorities.

Edited by Higgs

When I went to Shakerstone. A couple of years ago it was very busy with many boats breasted up , the latest note from the organisers suggests that boaters moor quite a way away and drive to the festival.

They state if you do not observe these new restrictions you will be moved on. I wonder given the time it takes CRT to start the S8 process how you would be moved on before the festival was over. Perhaps there is a new enforcement process we are not aware off

Edited by Tuscan

When I went to Shakerstone. A couple of years ago it was very busy with many boats breasted up , the latest note from the organisers suggests that boaters moor quite a way away and drive to the festival.

They state if you do not observe these new restrictions you will be moved on. I wonder given the time it takes CRT to start the S8 process how you would be moved on before the festival was over. Perhaps there is a new enforcement process we are not aware off

I am sure the organisers HAVE to say this or they would be seen as being complicit in any disobedience by boaters. I am also sure they are well aware that obedience this year means the festival is finished. Equally, disobedience will mean the Natural England, ably supported by the fish killers, will ensure that the festival does not take place next year anyway.

I am personally between a rock and a hard place on this. Perhaps mud weights ensuring I am not moored to the bank may be an answer. I am loath to go down to the fish killers without even a whimper.

Edited by furnessvale
  • Greenie 1