Great Haywood

maty

Featured Posts

I thought we were talking about the one on the left as you walk up the hill from the Shugborough entrance blush.png

Firstly the post office has moved, its now in the Spar shop.

So if you walk into the village from the Anglo Welsh yard (on the main road) you come to a t junction with the Spar/PO facing you. Looking to your left you will see the now closed Fox and Hounds, cream coloured building, unlikely to reopen (car park being built on).

Turning right at the Spar/PO takes you to the Clifford Arms, which is also accessible from the over bridge below Haywood lock (passing the former PO on the way).

Hope that helps.

Steve (Eeyore)

Firstly the post office has moved, its now in the Spar shop.

So if you walk into the village from the Anglo Welsh yard (on the main road) you come to a t junction with the Spar/PO facing you. Looking to your left you will see the now closed Fox and Hounds, cream coloured building, unlikely to reopen (car park being built on).

Turning right at the Spar/PO takes you to the Clifford Arms, which is also accessible from the over bridge below Haywood lock (passing the former PO on the way).

Hope that helps.

Steve (Eeyore)

AAHH! got it now thanks! John

We went to the Fox and Hounds once. We didn't stop. 'A large chardonnay please'. 'We haven't got any wine, but there may be a little bit left over from a party last week'. That and the notice behind the bar really persuaded us - 'Anyone dealing drugs in this pub will be asked to leave'.

Thanks for the great advise , when I past great Haywood the 1st time , I sort off shot the runway and missed all the mooring spots as like someone said very little moorings above the lock , so I proceeded to Weston on-Trent to the Saracens head for paint & some food . When I stopped & ask a local man " we're the Saracens head " he said you don't want to go there it's a yuppie pub " they won't let you take your ferrets in " so you've been warned " no ferrets in the Saracens head . On the way back we moored at the bottom lock at great Haywood & very nice it was to with the river & the pub was great , once again to all , who gave advise

Does anyone know if it is possible to wind a 50ft boat above the lock in GH? I'm talking about putting the pointy end into the bank by the tea rooms garden benches. The canal is at its widest there.

If not, how far heading South is the next winding hole? I'm currently moored just below the lock facing South (Rugeley) but want to go North. If I could wind in the wider bit by the tea rooms I'd go up the lock backwards and turn. I don't fancy reversing all the way to the junction as it's very busy with boats both moving and moored.

Does anyone know if it is possible to wind a 50ft boat above the lock in GH? I'm talking about putting the pointy end into the bank by the tea rooms garden benches. The canal is at its widest there.

If not, how far heading South is the next winding hole? I'm currently moored just below the lock facing South (Rugeley) but want to go North. If I could wind in the wider bit by the tea rooms I'd go up the lock backwards and turn. I don't fancy reversing all the way to the junction as it's very busy with boats both moving and moored.

You won't be able to turn at the tea rooms. You will either have to back up to the junction or go 3/4 mile south of bridge 69 to the winding hole at bridge 68.

just past the bridge 69 fuel boat!

We filled up there and needed to turn around (54') and head back towards Rugeley - we ended up going all the way to Gt Haywood to turn!

You won't be able to turn at the tea rooms. You will either have to back up to the junction or go 3/4 mile south of bridge 69 to the winding hole at bridge 68.

Thanks, I will go South then. Three quarters of a mile isn't too far. For some reason I though it was quite a bit further than that.

Thanks, I will go South then. Three quarters of a mile isn't too far. For some reason I though it was quite a bit further than that.

You didn't read my reply properly. I said 3/4 of a mile south of bridge 69. It is about 4 miles from Hayward lock.

I'd say it's much easier to back through the lock and reverse to the junction, not even full of boats at the moment. However it is a very nice cruise to the winding hole and back, but at least 2 hours or more.

All done, I went to the windy hole. Very frustrating to cruise for 3 hours and end up back where you started! Just approaching Stone now.