Finding 'Juno'

Geneemac

Featured Posts

Hello, I'm new to this forum, I've come on because I'd like some help in tracking down the boat I grew up on.

It was called Juno, was seventy-two foot, was ex GUCCCo, small Woolwich, based for a long time in Ellesmere Port at the boat museum (1986 - 1995ish). My Dad sold it in the late nineties to the son of the man who owned 'Vulcan' - a Fellows Morton Clayton Ex-Steamer, who had a boatyard on the River Soar.

I'd just like to see her again and would love to find out where she's based.

If I've done this right then this should be a link to my most recent photo;

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7915/junokg3.jpg

Thanks for reading, any help appreciated.

Hello, I'm new to this forum, I've come on because I'd like some help in tracking down the boat I grew up on.

It was called Juno, was seventy-two foot, was ex GUCCCo, small Woolwich, based for a long time in Ellesmere Port at the boat museum (1986 - 1995ish). My Dad sold it in the late nineties to the son of the man who owned 'Vulcan' - a Fellows Morton Clayton Ex-Steamer, who had a boatyard on the River Soar.

Coo! Grew up on! I am more than a little jealous.

Did you appreciate how lucky you were or am I romanticising. There must have been a number of disadvantages.

Nick

There was (summer 06) a boat matching the photo named 'Juno' at Cowley offside long term moorings above 'The Shovel' at Uxbridge, Grand Union canal.

edited

Edited by magnetman

It was called Juno, was seventy-two foot, was ex GUCCCo, small Woolwich,

I'm slightly confused here, as the Little Woolwich originally called Juno was a butty surely, where as what is pictured is a motor, (obviously!).

I have seen a shorter boat down on the lower Grand Union, tug style, perhaps 45 or 50 foot long, called "Juno No 2", but bearing the 295 number of the original Juno butty.

I think I understood that the bows of "Juno No 2" were once the rear end of the real "Juno", slightly remodelled, in the way these things are sometimes done.

So was the one you are looking for originally a butty, and if so when was the back end changed to a motor ? And if it was converted, does it sound correct that the old rear end might have gone on to form the front of something else ?

I might be able to dig out a photo of "Juno No 2", if you are interested, (but not "Juno" itself, unfortunately).

I'm slightly confused here, as the Little Woolwich originally called Juno was a butty surely, where as what is pictured is a motor, (obviously!).

I have photos of Juno taken at Ellesmere Port C. 1995 of a motor boat named Juno No. 295. They show a riveted hull up to the point where the swim starts, just below the engine room doors. From there back the conversion is best described as a functional welded steel motor boat stern end, ie. no attempt has been made to replicate a Little Woolwich motor.

BTW, I also have later photos of Juno at Cowley, c.1999

It has a short cabin extention to the front of the engine 'ole and a clothed hold that looks as though it may have a fitout beneath as the top plank appears wider than normal.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

All sounds very plausable.

- The boat as shown in the OPs photo is at Cowley, orgianal butty at the front, with a a welded motor stern.

- Then the origanal backend has been used to make the front end of "Juno2", last seen on the lower grandunion.

Daniel

All sounds very plausable.

- The boat as shown in the OPs photo is at Cowley, orgianal butty at the front, with a a welded motor stern.

- Then the origanal backend has been used to make the front end of "Juno2", last seen on the lower grandunion.

Daniel

Exactly right, Juno the tug was in Harefied marina last I saw it, she came out for the Ricky tug of war and did very well, she pulls like a train.

Exactly right, Juno the tug was in Harefied marina last I saw it, she came out for the Ricky tug of war and did very well, she pulls like a train.

Not that you can see that much of the original bit of boat in here, but here is "Juno No 2" at that very event....

Rickmansworth_Festival_1.jpg

Incidentally, the other boat at the front, Bream, is another interesting "cut 'n shut" job.

I think it's the original rear end of the FMC "Fish" class motor, mated up with a front end made from one of the more shapely of the Birmingham day boats.

This was also in the "tug of war", and seemed quite a powerful beast.

I believe the other end of Bream still lives on somewhere, with the same name, but a replacement rear end. I seem to recall that it had initially been shortened, but think it may since have been made a seventy-footer again ?

Anyone know the story on that one ??

Alan

I believe the other end of Bream still lives on somewhere, with the same name, but a replacement rear end. I seem to recall that it had initially been shortened, but think it may since have been made a seventy-footer again ?

Alan

is this her?

http://www.nhsc.org.uk/index.cfm/event/getVessel/vref/1427

Yeah, keep meaning to get ricky with emilyanne!

- It nearly tied in with last years mission down to london, but in the end we where running behind, and had only got to braunston by then!

The number of 'cut-n-shut' narrowboats is quite high.

- Like addament, which is the back end of two buttys rivited together up the middle, with a counter stern weld over to back the backend!

- You can clearly see the lay of the plates change halfway along its lenght, and im sure ive mentioned a silly number of times already, lol.

Daniel

Alan

http://www.bream.org/fishclass/index.html

I have seen a shorter boat down on the lower Grand Union, tug style, perhaps 45 or 50 foot long, called "Juno No 2", but bearing the 295 number of the original Juno butty.

I think I understood that the bows of "Juno No 2" were once the rear end of the real "Juno", slightly remodelled, in the way these things are sometimes done.

So was the one you are looking for originally a butty, and if so when was the back end changed to a motor ? And if it was converted, does it sound correct that the old rear end might have gone on to form the front of something else ?

I might be able to dig out a photo of "Juno No 2", if you are interested, (but not "Juno" itself, unfortunately).

Yes - the Juno in question , "dad" being my old and missed friend Eryl Hughes, started out as a butty . She was converted into a motor by Malcolm Braine and notable for Eryl`s water can which he painted in the style of Clarisse Cliffe - just to wind the anoraks up!

Cheers

Phil

Hi i am the son of the man who owned vulcan and i bought Juno from your dad, we put a new wooden conversion under the cloths and fitted it all out and lived on her for about a year, then plans changed and we decided to sell her, we delivered it down to uxbridge for the new owners back in 1999 and as far as we know its still there, it was motorised by malcolm braine but kept the composite construction, when the new owners had it surveyed a couple of the planks were down to 1 1/2" instead of the original 3" but apart from that it was in excellent codition, i have been around boats since i was 4 and in that time it has to be one of the best handling boats ive had the pleasure of owning, when you track her down can you post any recent pictures you might get.

Cheers Glyn

Yes - the Juno in question , "dad" being my old and missed friend Eryl Hughes, started out as a butty . She was converted into a motor by Malcolm Braine and notable for Eryl`s water can which he painted in the style of Clarisse Cliffe - just to wind the anoraks up!

Cheers

Phil

Hi i bought Juno from Eryll Hughes, as you say Phil the boatmans cabin and cans were mostly painted in Clarice Cliff style, and the coal step had a England Glory matchbox painted on it, when we sold it we left most of the boat dear on it but i still have the handbowl.

Cheers Glyn

OHHHH my god I'm so excited at the response I've had - Oh the joys of the internet eh!

Thanks very much to all of you, you've made me smile from ear to ear. Now that we have a clue where to start, my fella and I shall go hunting on Monday armed with camera of course. I'll post the results here for you all to see.

Special thanks to Phil Speight and please send my best to Ian and Marion Kemp whom I havent seen for so many years.

Hairy Neil - I'd love to see any photo's you may have of the Juno

Glyn - So lovely to hear all that you'd done to the Juno and that you had so much pleasure aboard her. I miss that lifestyle so much and hope to return one day B)

I'll let you all know how I get on in my search

Sarah-jane

Alan

From http://www.spurstow.com/rogerfuller/historic/fmc.htm

BREAM; No 310; 1933 Steel Yarwoods. Regd Brm 1545. BCN gauging No 1759, 28/4/1933. Length 70ft 4". This boat was cut towards the stern by BW, and the fore end part used for maintenance on the Coventry Canal. It was sold, and ended up in the middle of Fradley Airfield, where it was purchased in the 1980's, and a new stern added. Attended Middlewich rally in June. On fire, middle of the cabin at Meaford T & M December 2000. Stern end of BREAM was used as a pusher tug, but is now added to a BCN day boat. The original stern has the Bolinder fuel tank, and Armstrong Siddeley AS2.

From http://ammodels.4t.com/Information%20Lists/FMC%20Motors.htm

This boat was cut towards the stern by BW, and the fore end part used for maintenance on the Coventry Canal. It was sold, and ended up in the middle of Fradley Airfield, where it was purchased in the 1980's, and a new stern added. Attended Middlewich rally in June. Stern end of BREAM was used as a pusher tug, but is now added to a BCN day boat. The original stern has the Bolinder fuel tank, and Armstrong Siddeley AS2. Shortened to 55'. Rebuilt to 70' by Keith Ball with full length cabin. Lister HA2. Rear section still exists with BCN day boat front end, based southern GU.

Thanks to all those who have posted the story not only on Juno, but Bream as well.

I always like a bit of history on interesting looking boats.

The front end that's been added to the back end of Bream, (if that makes any sense at all!), reminds me a lot of a boat that I owned in the 1970s.

That was an ex Stewarts & LLoyds tube carrier, from the Coombeswood steelworks, allegedly originally of about 1898 vintage - though we had nothing that actually supported it's history.

There are also some visually very similar ones at the Black Country Living Museum. (Although no doubt to a true BCN boat expert they are all quite different!...)

• 6 years later...

My husband and I owned Juno and lived on her very happily from 1999 (we purchased her from Glyn) until 2011 we sold her last year to a couple from Birmingham. She was indeed moored for most of the time at Cowley, Uxbridge. We also have some photos of her at Rickmansworth Canal Festival taking part in the tug of war pulling Juno no 2 - how many boats can say they have pulled their own back end?

She is indeed a wonderful boat and whenever we had her out the water everyone was surprised at the excellent condition she was in, when we originally purchased the boat we did write to Eryl to tell her where the boat had been moved to and received a lovely card back.

Juno is also registered on the National Historic Registar.

• 8 months later...

I know juno well and am still friends with Eryl. I actually fitted an alarm system to it in the nineties. I also blame him for my addiction to narrow boats, and the reason I now live on one :-) was a cracking boat with some brilliant artwork which turned a few heads (especially with the traditionalists.) But my favorite bit was the shed bed he made (ingenious ).