Gloucester Docks Tall Ships - Alice Film

matty40s

Featured Posts

I have noticed this week on the Farson DigiWebcam service at Gloucester Docks that quite a few tall ships are in the main basin.

Just found out why.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-28844711

how do they keep the narrowboats out of the film.......and who is burning smoky coal on their stove...

Edited by matty40s

They put notices up a week before informing of the closure/suspension of moorings for the three days of filming.

and Gloucester lock was also shut for many hours on film days..

All visitor moorings were suspended fro Gloucester Lock to Sainsbury's.

I have noticed this week on the Farson DigiWebcam service at Gloucester Docks that quite a few tall ships are in the main basin.

Just found out why.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-28844711

how do they keep the narrowboats out of the film.......and who is burning smoky coal on their stove...

I actually managed to get myself in the film as an extra, it was a fascinating day beginning with one and a half hours in makeup!

In the clip you link to, I am the character near the beginning, standing up in a rowing skiff to hand cargo up to the Irene. Picture link attached showing my rowing action shots! (courtesy of mailonline).

My ketch Josefine was due to star in the movie but sadly we couldn’t finish her new rigging and decks in time, we will definitely be doing more film work in the future, its great fun and well paid.

Gloucester basin looked great.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd4op3xlj6pxys0/Rowing%20Disney%20style.jpg

I will make no comment on needing to be in make-up for one and a half hours. biggrin.png

We last saw the docks when they were still setting up and the feeling and atmosphere was palpably changing as they did so.

I will make no comment on needing to be in make-up for one and a half hours. biggrin.png

We last saw the docks when they were still setting up and the feeling and atmosphere was palpably changing as they did so.

Funny thing is, at the initial costume fitting, the makeup girl took one look at me and said ‘oh great we wont have to do much with you’, meaning ‘your already a scruffy looking old bugger’. Most of the hairy tall ship crews were told the same!

There's a lot of filming going on in Glos at the moment. As well as Alice they have been doing a TV series for J K Rowling's book 'Casual vacancy' in villages around Stroud. Michael Gambon is one of the big names. Hard to compete with Johnny Depp though, so I'm told!

Joshua has a starring role compared to my brother-in-law's appearance in The Remains of the Day (1993).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107943/ sadly doesn't include the extras. Imagine if films did list all extras, they'd have had a problem with Gandhi.

In a scene where Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson walk through a basement where some musicians are cleaning their instruments, he's a cello player. I think his back was to the camera, blink and you'll miss him. He doesn't get to play in the film, although he was one of a group of decent musicians (from a good amateur orchestra) and they were filmed playing; that got cut.