Wiring diagram for Eberspacher Hydronic II-H D5Z-H

p6rob

Featured Posts

good to know your dads feeling better mate,

Tried all the obvious stuff mate, tried with the grey/black wire too(think thats just a light though as its a dotted line on the manual described as optional), tried a few configurations, few i haven,t tried at this stage as i dont want to take the risk of blowing anything.

Good of you to offer to exchange for testing purposes mate, may yet take you up on it if i dont manage to sort things.

How did you come to the conclusion it was an easystart "T" controller you needed to make it start? did you see it on a manual somewhere or?

Hope to get time to have another go at it at the weekend will let you know how i get on

steve

No. Just looked at teh online version of the easystart manual and it doesn't list hydronic II or the correct model heater, though I think the paper manual does mention hydronic II. Having looked at your timer's online manual, there are several wiring differences, eg yours seems to need grey/white connecting to ignition live., I'm guessing this could be connected to the same permanant 12v+ as red on a boat, whether that'll help or not is another matter though. I reckon you'll crack it soon and it'll be something obvious when you spot it. Eg. is the fuse ok at the heater end?

I don't mind swapping timers with you for testing purposes if you don't crack it beforehand. Just let me know and we can arrange an exchange by post.

Dad's feeling more comfortable than he was which is a relief, thanks.

oh forgot to ask.... did you manage to suss out what the difference is between as easystart timer that i have and the easystart "T" which you have?

Hi Steve,

How did you get on? I'm not sure what the differences are, yours seems to have that ign +ve connection which mine doesn't.

I removed my batteries to fit some sound deadening behind and on reconnecting, one thing I noticed was the timer didn't detect the heater, it displayed the 'ndiag' message. I spent ages checking the wires were all connected. In desperation, I removed the battery isolator key and replaced it and lo and behold, the timer detected the heater.

I'm assuming that the heater needs to have power connected and 'booted up' before it can respond to the timer. I'd have thought it would re-poll if no heater was detected during initialization, but it didn't seem to.

I'm not sure how you've wired up your Eberspacher kit, but, it might be worth briefly disconnecting power to just the timer and seeing if it then detects properly.

Rob

if its any help, I have removed my timer and timer wiring now I have the GSM controller.

If i want it on I just text it, then text it to turn it off.

so simple I cannot believe I didn't do it before.

I don't even have to get cold in the engine room turning it on, just sit there and text it.biggrin.png

• Greenie 1

Hi Steve,

How did you get on? I'm not sure what the differences are, yours seems to have that ign +ve connection which mine doesn't.

I removed my batteries to fit some sound deadening behind and on reconnecting, one thing I noticed was the timer didn't detect the heater, it displayed the 'ndiag' message. I spent ages checking the wires were all connected. In desperation, I removed the battery isolator key and replaced it and lo and behold, the timer detected the heater.

I'm assuming that the heater needs to have power connected and 'booted up' before it can respond to the timer. I'd have thought it would re-poll if no heater was detected during initialization, but it didn't seem to.

I'm not sure how you've wired up your Eberspacher kit, but, it might be worth briefly disconnecting power to just the timer and seeing if it then detects properly.

Rob

Hi Rob

Soz for late reply , Iv had an hectic week and had no free time to play with the eber again as yet, thou i did bite the bullet(yet another one lol) and ordered an easystart T timer same as yours from germany(bout half the price there.... so much for this european one market thing!) and it should be arriving any day now.

Though thinking about what you just said, you may have a point. Iv been trying to get mine working rigged up in the garage, via a temporary fused loom clipped directly to a battery when i need power, so power enters timer and eber all at the same time( as i connect the + crocodile clip). To reset the timer your supposed to remove the 5amp(timer) fuse and then replace it. Iv been just removing the +crocodile clip instead , hence removing power to the eber at the same time, and re-booting everything all at once when i re-apply power.

Now youve mentioned it, and thinking back to a webasto i rigged up some time ago you are supposed to retain power to the heater and only remove timer fuse to reset the timer. As soon as i get a minute i will have to give it a try see how it goes.

Will be in touch as soon as iv managed to blow the roof off the garage!

steve

if its any help, I have removed my timer and timer wiring now I have the GSM controller.

If i want it on I just text it, then text it to turn it off.

so simple I cannot believe I didn't do it before.

I don't even have to get cold in the engine room turning it on, just sit there and text it.biggrin.png

Hi matty , thanks for your input, yes a gsm controller is something i was looking at before i ended up going down the road of this timer thing, and to be honest a method i would prefer and will be looking at as soon as i get the eber working.

is your eber a D5Z-H too?

which gsm controller did you buy?

can you tell me which colour wires on the eber you had to connect to which colour wires on the gsm controller?

steve

Hi Rob

Soz for late reply , Iv had an hectic week and had no free time to play with the eber again as yet, thou i did bite the bullet(yet another one lol) and ordered an easystart T timer same as yours from germany(bout half the price there.... so much for this european one market thing!) and it should be arriving any day now.

Though thinking about what you just said, you may have a point. Iv been trying to get mine working rigged up in the garage, via a temporary fused loom clipped directly to a battery when i need power, so power enters timer and eber all at the same time( as i connect the + crocodile clip). To reset the timer your supposed to remove the 5amp(timer) fuse and then replace it. Iv been just removing the +crocodile clip instead , hence removing power to the eber at the same time, and re-booting everything all at once when i re-apply power.

Now youve mentioned it, and thinking back to a webasto i rigged up some time ago you are supposed to retain power to the heater and only remove timer fuse to reset the timer. As soon as i get a minute i will have to give it a try see how it goes.

Will be in touch as soon as iv managed to blow the roof off the garage!

steve

Yahooooo!!!!!........ at last finaly managed to get it working

tried the fuse removal and no change, easystart T arrived and tried all day to get it working but was having no luck, was begining to wonder if there was a problem with the heater. Decided to try a few different configurations in the C1 sub menu(even thou the configurations didnt seem to apply to my heater), still no luck, went back to the C1 menu i originally had and.......off it went , fired up good style!... still not sure what it was i did.... but its working so im happy enough... phew!... been a long road lol!

Have to say its running a bit smokey though, but maybe thats because its still new, otr maybe its because the exhaust and silencer i have connected to it is from an old one and hasnt been used for some years, so maybe coked up a bit. will know once iv had it running for a while.

And comparing the easystart timer and the easystart T , I still cant work out what the difference is, both say they are for hydronic II heaters, but the easystart T seems to work( by sending 9.4v through the blue/white wire) yet the easystart timer doesnt seem to be able to start it at all.

No doubt someone out there may be able to shed some light of that matter.

steve

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have also bought the easystart timer. Will try to get this sorted this week.
According to the eberspacher support this heater and timer should be compliant.

They also told me that You need to apply +12V to both the yellow AND the blue cable from the heater in order to get the eber to fire up.

Will try to make a wiring diagram, unless someone already have done it sucessfully?

• 1 year later...

I know this thread hasn't been visited for a while but how are you guys getting on with the erberspacher's? I you have any updates on how the units have preformed?

D

I know this thread hasn't been visited for a while but how are you guys getting on with the erberspacher's? I you have any updates on how the units have preformed?

D

• 2 weeks later...

D

Hi, Only just spotted this.

I had a bit of an issue with my setup. I had run the eberspacher without the circulation pump running a few times, basically the coolant pump circuit got broken. When I next went to run the heater, it wouldn't work and the message ndia is displayed on the timer screen, indicating it's not communicating with the heater.

I assumed I'd fried the electronics, so bought another heater. This didn't work either and displays the same "ndia" message. I've been too ill and too busy to sort it out. However, now it's getting colder, and darker and I can't do much more work on the project car til spring, it's gong to become a higher priority. As it is clearly communicating something, it detects the type of heater when initialising, I suspect it's just a menu configuration thing, but as I only ran the diesel heater while waiting for the stove to heat up, it's not a big deal that it doesn't currently work.

Rob

Decided I really ought to sort this out, so, tonight when I got home, I had a run through the timer settings. After changing option 5 (upgrade box mode) in C1 to on. It fired up again. Now sitting on the boat being warmed up by the diesel heater.

This means the next jobs are to add a small rad in the bathroom and fit some changeover valves between the morco and calorifier. Still not got a satisfactory means of guaranteeing the circulation pump is running but I'll site the pump switch more conveniently, right next to the timer unit, so it's easy to remember to switch it on (and more importantly, off)

Rob

• 2 months later...

hi all, sorry to reheat this thread.. have read it and re-read it many times..

I am building a camper van, and wanted heat and water from diesel, I don't know why.. just liked the concept.. (I may well get a canalboat one day, but for now have restored a sea going boat that I have yet to use!)

I have done the same as many before me.. bought some old ebers, air and water, and not bothered to look into them too much.. finally bought a new one, same as everyone else in this thread... and then accidentally bought the newer easystart timer, NOT the easystart T timer..

today, finally, I connected it up and it burned! I think red and brown and blue, plus a +12v to fuel pump,,, turned on a separate water pump and for 3 mins the jet engine was on.

I couldn't get it to do it again.. I try the timer but as other say, 'no signal' comes up.. I haven't tried giving the grey /white wire +12v yet.. nervous to..

has anyone got more to add from their experiences?

John

Hi rob,thanks for getting back to me I'm sorry my reply is delayed also, I'm glad you have you're erber running fine now. I have never had mine conected to a timer so I can't shed much light on that front as mine is wired up to switch. One thing that made a difference to get mine working OK was to ensure enough fuel was reaching the pump. The dedicated tank I had for it was positioned to low for the 12v fuel pump to deal with, and as soon as I moved it never failed to start up.

• 8 months later...

D5Z-H.pdfI know this is an old topic, however this is one of the only sites to have mention of the D5Z-H

Having struggled to find any information on the unit anywhere I made a diagnostic interface and quizzed the ecu, it may help others out there to know on my model the ecu is that of a B/D 4/5W SC/C type.

I am still struggling to find a specific manual for the D5Z-H, if anyone can help that would be fantastic, however in my quest to find a manual I found an extensive library (over 1.5gb) of just about every other Eberspacher model and their service and user manuals, if any one needs a specific manual please ask and I will see if I have it and email it you.

Also if anyone needs a diagnostic interface please let me know and I will see what we can do to help.

Attached is the printout of the report for my D5Z-H

Edited by Mercbits1
Error