Have you started your coal fire yet?

DeanS

Featured Posts

Blimey! No wonder you're always working Trevor.

Keith

I don't think it adds a huge cost tbh. That's the temperature the thermostat has to be set at to keep the lounge comfortable and everywhere else cooler way of individual thermostatic valves. I really don't follow the logic of a low temperature being a problem in winter but something you have to grin and bear in summer. If it's cold, it's cold.

I guess it's a more momentous decision on a boat because there is the gathering of the fuel, the finding of last seasons last firelighter, and everything you burn you've humped (in the carrying sense). I suspect if we used solid fuel, Mrs W would have a lot more winceyette in her wardrobe.

Edited by twbm

I don't think it adds a huge cost tbh. That's the temperature the thermostat has to be set at to keep the lounge comfortable and everywhere else cooler way of individual thermostatic valves. I really don't follow the logic of a low temperature being a problem in winter but something you have to grin and bear in summer. If it's cold, it's cold.

I guess it's a more momentous decision on a boat because there is the gathering of the fuel, the finding of last seasons last firelighter, and everything you burn you've humped (in the carrying sense). I suspect if we used solid fuel, Mrs W would have a lot more winceyette in her wardrobe.

I suspect you're right, especially if the house is well insulated, and more often than not, during Summer your rads are cold.

Keith

Coal fire? Pah!

Decoke and a new glow pin and the webasto is roaring away like a good un. First time it's been looked at in 4+ years.

No sacks, no ash, no messing about keeping it in over night.

The added bonus is nobody has to suffer the acrid fumes belching from a solid fuel stove whilst near us.

Just the soft whisper of a well installed diesel heater :-)

I agree that the temperature is what we should base our heating decisions on, as I sit here, wife at her works leaving do, I'm looking at a pile of logs thoroughly pissed off that it's August and I am about to light a fire and open all of the doors!

what is it? Its not cold in the evening 22deg in the boat at present and no heating on since 0630 this morning. Mornings are another thing, 5deg air temp outside when I left for work this morning.

Guess its all down to insulation....

what is it? Its not cold in the evening 22deg in the boat at present and no heating on since 0630 this morning. Mornings are another thing, 5deg air temp outside when I left for work this morning.

Guess its all down to insulation....

Same here....by morning everything has cooled down and by about 6 it starts getting chilly. Light the stove and just the one fill with wood gets the temperature up. Without the stove it stays chilly until almost lunchtime

Due back on the boat on Monday and keeping fingers and toes crossed that it'll be mild in Stoke on Trent for a while cos we've got no flue at the moment so jumpers and fleeces if it does turn cold!

Due back on the boat on Monday and keeping fingers and toes crossed that it'll be mild in Stoke on Trent for a while cos we've got no flue at the moment so jumpers and fleeces if it does turn cold!

Should have nipped in on yer way back Ange, could have sorted you out a bag o coal!

Should have nipped in on yer way back Ange, could have sorted you out a bag o coal!

Damn - could've picked up our Wrongbow as well :D I did say to Dave when we were driving to Heathrow that we'd pass close to your boat.

Seriously we've got coal and lots of wood though - just lacking the bit between the stove and the chimney!

10314670_10204423947740758_6074558281961

Damn - could've picked up our Wrongbow as well :D I did say to Dave when we were driving to Heathrow that we'd pass close to your boat.

Seriously we've got coal and lots of wood though - just lacking the bit between the stove and the chimney!

10314670_10204423947740758_6074558281961

Wrongbow is waiting!

Can't help with flue, just painted mine! :)

I've lit fire on couple mornings, tad chilly here but then normally have to open door n windows later on...not quite sussed this yet...wot my old dad would say doesn't bear thinking about....he had a right issue with heating on n windows open! Mind its kinda lovely sitting in front of warmth radiating out from dancing fire which subsides to red glowing embers.

I'm wondering how much the Wrongbow improves with age - could it skip a number of the early stages of Duff? smile.png

My elderberry wine did.....found some lost in the cupboard under the stairs (years ago when living in bricks and mortar) that was 8 years old, it was the finest tasting rocket fuel I ever producedwub.png ( It had been put away as undrinkable in the hopes that the booze faerie would work magic on it )