Micro Bore or Domestic?

Featured Posts

I hardly know where to start, other than to suggest you employ someone who does!

There are SO MANY regulations you seem unaware of from your question, I think this would be best.

MtB

Really?

I thought there was 1 regulation which is the BSS test?

Start here:

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180428/bss%20guide%202005%20complete%20web.pdf

The size of pipwork used has to be calculated.

You will need a regulator at the gas bottle (which must be in a suitable locker.) The solid pipe then connects to the regulator.

I looked at the various installations on other boats before attempting mine, and even then I got it "comissioned" by a friend who is qualified in such matters.

I always think of the old joke about a novice parachutist who was spiralling towards the ground, unable to open his chute. Suddenly he became aware of a man coming upwards to join him. The parachutist said "Thank God. Do you know anything about parachutes, mate?" Ne replied "Sorry, no. Do you know anything about gas cookers?"

Edited by Guest

A good place to start would be the BSS regs.

Have you actually read them? I doubt it, given your original question.

MtB

Does the BSS regs give instructions and or advise on how to go from Micro Bore to a domestic size pipe?

I have a friend who is gas safe but he does not know what the requirements are for boats as he has never worked on them before.

He must not work on your boat then. If he is Gas Safe Registered he will know perfectly well that LPG on boats is a whole separste qualification which he probably doesn't have.

It is as complex as, but totally different from, domestic installation.

I once had to condemn a whole boat installation done by a 'mate' in similar circumstances. Such a waste.

MtB

Does the BSS regs give instructions and or advise on how to go from Micro Bore to a domestic size pipe?

I have a friend who is gas safe but he does not know what the requirements are for boats as he has never worked on them before.

You will need a reducer to change pipe size. Important: NO SOLDERED JOINTS. I have seen a few boats with same.

He must not work on your boat then. If he is Gas Safe Registered he will know perfectly well that LPG on boats is a whole separste qualification which he probably doesn't have.

It is as complex as, but totally different from, domestic installation.

I once had to condemn a whole boat installation done by a 'mate' in similar circumstances. Such a waste.

MtB

Right I see!

Is there a register or something similar for boatsafe trained gas fitters as it dont seem to be able to find any such services advertised?

What would you recommend if installing a new gas supply for a boat as I need to make some informed decissions before approaching a qualified fitter anyway?

Cheers.

I forgot to ask what kind of price should I be looking at paying for such a service approximately?

I want a gas hob and oven installing with all pipe work from the front gas locker to the middle of a 62 footer.

You will need a reducer to change pipe size. Important: NO SOLDERED JOINTS. I have seen a few boats with same.

Thanks for that.

Is there any particular kind of jointing compound or tape used?

Right I see!

Is there a register or something similar for boatsafe trained gas fitters as it dont seem to be able to find any such services advertised?

What would you recommend if installing a new gas supply for a boat as I need to make some informed decissions before approaching a qualified fitter anyway?

Cheers.

I forgot to ask what kind of price should I be looking at paying for such a service approximately?

I want a gas hob and oven installing with all pipe work from the front gas locker to the middle of a 62 footer.

Thanks for that.

I am not a gas fitter so am not qualified to advise, but I was told not to use any on the compression joints.

Munkey!

Right I see!

What would you recommend if installing a new gas supply for a boat as I need to make some informed decissions before approaching a qualified fitter

Thanks for that.

There's a search facility, just click on advanced select 'Boats'

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/registersearch/findbusiness.aspx

Try to get a personal recommendation too if poss or see if they're on Checkatrade or work through a local boatyard. Dunno about price but might be able to save a bit by drilling holes though bulkheads where needed and making good as well.

If you'd like to learn a bit more about what's involved for information only, try the links in my sig and do a forum search too. But with due respect it does like you'd prefer to spend minimal time on it, and so likely to end up with something dangerous. Gonna be much better to get a registered gas bod to do it.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete