Primer recommendations

Frankieboy

Featured Posts

HI, will be grit blasting the boat back to bare metal fora full repaint soon so was wondering if anyone could recommend any good primers?

I know some of the ones in the chandlers are supposed to be good but I can't help thinking they're pricey as the have a boat label attached to them and are in a chandlers.

Thanks

Frank

When we had Helvetia re-painted by John Sanderson two years ago, he asked if we would allow him to trial Rustoleum primer, which the manufacturers claimed will protect the steel from future rusting and seal in any residual rust left after cleaning.

John had lengthy discussions with the manufacturers before doing the job and they assured him that the primer would perform as claimed. The roof of our boat was very bad with numerous rust spots along with some bad spots on the cabin sides, it was therefore a good test for thier claims. Two years on, there has been no sign of any rust bursting through.

Edited by David Schweizer

I don't know if it is the same product or just a similar name, I am sure I came across Rustoleum in the 80's in use aboard merchant ships. I seem to remember it being highly regarded then.

edit because of scrambling

Edited by John V

HI, will be grit blasting the boat back to bare metal fora full repaint soon so was wondering if anyone could recommend any good primers?

I know some of the ones in the chandlers are supposed to be good but I can't help thinking they're pricey as the have a boat label attached to them and are in a chandlers.

Thanks

Frank

If it was me I'd use the primer that the top coat manufacturer recommends. You're painting onto bare metal with no rust so it's not like you're asking a great deal from the primer. Just get it on the boat and get the undercoat/topcoat on there.

OP - - - there are many extremely good primers available (And some awful stuff too!)

However, they will always work best when matched to your undercoat & topcoat .

I suggest that you contact your topcoat manufacturer, and ask them what they recommend.

Or

Tell the forum what topcoat you intend to use, and we'll work back from there.

Thanks for all your replies.

The topcoat is going to be International 10 Year Gloss For Metal.

I too have heard good reports about Rustoleum so will look more into that too.

I do agree that as it will be blasted first, the primer is going onto good metal, but just didn't want to mess something up and have to redo it a couple of years down the line.

I don't know if it is the same product or just a similar name, I am sure I came across Rustoleum in the 80's in use aboard merchant ships. I seem to remember it being highly regarded then.

edit because of scrambling

Same stuff. It was originally developed by a deep sea fisherman to paint trawler decks. Apparently it contains fish oil as it's base rather than mineral oils, but it is still compatible with spirit based marine paints.

Some decent products on this site, prices look reasonable too:

http://www.smithandallan.com/prodpage.aspx?id=1504

http://www.smithandallan.com/prodpage.aspx?id=1442

http://www.smithandallan.com/prodpage.aspx?id=2709

I wonder if two coats of a fairly good primer is better than one coat of a £££ primer.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Here is the link to Rustoleum Direct.

http://www.rustoleumdirect.co.uk/home.php

They are in Wolverhampton and don't mind if you call in to collect.

Talk to Mark Bullock the technical director.

Many modern paint makers have been forced to cut the solvent content to meet the new VOC regs but

Rustoleum have got round this by virtue of fish oil being more acceptable than white sprit.

It's expensive but worth it if you are spending big money on blasting and good prep.

I have HMG topcoats on Rustoleum and have had no problems.

Edited by andywatson