made an offer and am now a bit confused

boatcat

Featured Posts

Hi,

Just looking for a little advice.

My boyfriend and I have made an offer on a boat which had a hull survey in May. The survey came back fine but the surveyor was unable to check the cabin bilge and internal hull. As we are new to boating and am in no way capable of assessing a boat, my partner mentioned that we might want a full survey to check internals and for piece of mind.

The brokerage is quite insistent that we get an internal survey only and transfer the existing hull survey into my name, free of charge. They said checking the internal hull is pointless as everything you need to know can be ascertained from an external survey/echosounder. They said a full survey would be a waste of money and the seller may refuse to carry out any major works. The broker had previously mentioned that if we had the internal survey done the seller would be liable for any changes that needed to be made, but they really dont seem keen on the full survey and to be honest seemed quite irritated. They also mentioned that the dry dock is booked until November.

Is this normal? Maybe I'm worrying too much and should just have the existing survey transferred?

Edited by boatcat

At the end of the day you are about to spend a large chunk of money. If a second survey will give you added piece of mind, then get it done, or let this one go and keep looking at boats, there's plenty to choose from.

By the sounds of it, the hull is ok and an internal survey will be of more value to your purchasing decision.

the original surveyor is on holiday at the moment and the brokerage is Braunston. Maybe wires have been crossed as they seem to have a good reputation?

Maybe they just want a quick sale as getting a survey actually is pointless and is just a lot of faff for them. Why the seller wouldnt be liable I don't know, scare tactics maybe? I'm just a bit worried about their insistence on the internal survey only and the fact we felt pressured.

Edited by boatcat

Firstly, why did it have a survey in May? If it was a potential buyer, why did they not buy the boat?

Secondly, the fact that they are discouraging you to get a full survey sounds really off. When I bought my boat it had a recent survey, but the broker still recommended that I get my own survey done.

Thirdly, they say the seller may refuse to carry out any major works. That is a huge red flag. Normally, people put down a deposit 'subject to survey'. If the survey turns up some major fault then the seller will either get the work done or re-negotiate the price.

The last time I went to Braunston to look at a boat they couldn't find the recent survey that they had advertised. They do seem to have an OK reputation, I didn't find them to be very helpful.

Mt first instinct would be to say "Walk away". If they are so reluctant to have this additional examination carried out, it sounds to me as if there may be something which the seller does not want you to discover.

That said, yes, Braunston Marina are a reputable company as far as I am aware.

Edited by Athy

They are trying to sell the boat to you.Its in their interest to sell it as they make a profit from it. Do not be pressured into doing what THEY want. It's your money, so do what YOU want.

Personally, unless this boat ticked all my boxes I'd walk away unless they stop prattling about and listen to you. In fact, even if it did tick all the boxes, unless they did as requested I'd walk.

As the boat seller I would like to clarify that I am happy for any buyer to have any survey or inspection they desire.

I have spoken to Braunston and believe there may be some miscommunication. Before they accept a boat on brokerage they insist on a full survey. Although not standard practice I agreed to this as it made sense on a number of levels. Any potential buyer has access to an independent report on the hull condition before considering making an offer, that has to be a positive thing as it avoids the possibility of spending hundreds of pounds on a full survey to find that a boat potentially needs expensive remedial work.

I hope the buyers were given a copy of the survey. I believe (from memory= the lowest point on the baseplate was 9.5mm and 5.6mm on the sides. The only wear on the hull is above the waterline below the skin fittings for the galley waste in a small area which is still 4mm +.

I believe what has been suggested is that it is possible to transfer the hull survey to the new owner, this would (I am making an assumption here) include any liability for the accuracy of the report. I also strongly believe that the buyer should have the choice to pay for their own full survey including another hull survey if that is their wish, or indeed any independent inspection they feel fit to commission.

I have no intention of selling a boat with any faults ( I can´t say there will not be some issues turned up on a survey, I would be very surprised if a boat over twenty years old didn´t have something that needs rectification, however trivial).

I was surprised about the comment on the survey about not being able to inspect the internal hull as their is an inspection hatch in the bedroom close to the engine room bulkhead but being under the carpet was obviously not visible at the time.

I hope this clarifies my position as the seller.

Thanks

John

Great advice above from some very knowledgeable members.. Some extra Thoughts to ponder.

How much do you 'Love' this boat.

Was it a Cruising Livaboard, or a Semi Static getaway before brokerage.

Has 'Anything' else sounded any Alarm Bells, Does Everything else work.

Have you been able to piece together any 'Recent' History of the boat, or ascertain how much interest has been shown on the boat.

Is it a Good Price, or a Bargain Price.

It may be absolutely fine.

How Handy Are You ?.

Good Luck.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

An honest and reassuring post from JDR.

When my Springer was surveyed a few weeks ago, the surveyor took up the carpet and removed the floor panels - so it can and does happen.

Idle sod didn't put them back after he'd finished, either.

Edited by Athy

It often isn't possible to inspect the inner hull. Many (I'd hazard to say most?) boats don't have easy access to large areas of the inner hull.

The external ultrasound though will tell you the thickness of the "good" steel, irrespective of where any rust has removed metal. So a reading of 9.5mm will take into account any corrosion internally or externally - so by the sounds of it, you don't have much to worry about on that front.

You've got an advantage of being able to talk to the actual seller here, so ask any questions you may have to him directly, then just instruct the broker on what you want done - at the end of the day, they're making a lot of money out of just selling the thing, so they can do as they're told!

It often isn't possible to inspect the inner hull. Many (I'd hazard to say most?) boats don't have easy access to large areas of the inner hull.

The external ultrasound though will tell you the thickness of the "good" steel, irrespective of where any rust has removed metal. So a reading of 9.5mm will take into account any corrosion internally or externally - so by the sounds of it, you don't have much to worry about on that front.

You've got an advantage of being able to talk to the actual seller here, so ask any questions you may have to him directly, then just instruct the broker on what you want done - at the end of the day, they're making a lot of money out of just selling the thing, so they can do as they're told!

Well said, that penguin.

I would like to apologise to JDR.

I did not mean for this thread to cause any offence, as a newbie I was merely worried about the practices of the broker and needed reassurance and advice. JDR's post was very helpful and the actions of the broker obiously have nothing to do with him, I dont want this to reflect badly on JDR or his boat.

Edited by boatcat

I was surprised about the comment on the survey about not being able to inspect the internal hull as their is an inspection hatch in the bedroom close to the engine room bulkhead but being under the carpet was obviously not visible at the time.

Unless this hatch was specifically brought to the attention of the surveyor, you can't really expect him to have found it. The small print always says something about not lifting floor coverings etc.

Edited by David Mack