Stolen from Brinklow: Rowing boat, leisure batteries and diesel

BeckyJC

Featured Posts

Hi,

I got back to my narrowboat yesterday (Monday) evening, having left her at All Oaks Wood near Brinklow on the North Oxford, to find that several items had been stolen.

Missing:

4x 110ah lead acid leisure batteries. Can't remember the make - they were black - might have been beta-something but not certain.

1x 85ah Optima yellow top battery. Very old/beaten-up looking.

A load of diesel from the tank - it was almost full, guess about £100 worth missing

Small white/pale blue rowing boat - they took the boat but not the oars

Had anyone seen anything suspicious or been offered any of the above items in the last few days? I've reported it to the police but there is little they can do. The batteries/diesel would be difficult to spot now but it would have been pretty difficult to hide a rowing boat!

Appreciate any information you might have.

Thanks for reading,

Becky

Becky

That's not a safe place to leave a boat. As the lowlife have easy access from Cathiron Lane. I came back to the same location a few year's back after a evening at the Bull's head in Brinklow to find a 'Traveller type' pumping the contents of my tank in to drums in the back of a van. By the time the Police turned up, he was long gone.

As for your rowing boat, Keep a eye on e-bay and the local ads, Your batteries may well have been weigh in at the nearest scrap dealer.

Is this the wood with the small car parking area right next to the cut? If so, I moored there last week and left my boat unattended for 5 days. There were loads of boats around and it never struck me as unsafe. I also left my car there in the little car park for a few days.

Sorry to hear about your stuff being nicked. Do you have a photo of the dinghy?

Agree about the accessibility of these moorings to vehicles. We've moored there a couple of times. It's a beautiful mooring, especially if there's any evening sunshine, but on one occasion we went for a walk down the towpath through the woods and came across some pretty odd/scary characters parked by the road - middle-aged 'traveller' types (for want of a better or more PC description) in a couple of beaten up transit vans, with some wild-looking dogs and very loud rave-type music. I was glad that we'd moored towards the northern end of the moorings, to be honest.

Agree about the accessibility of these moorings to vehicles. We've moored there a couple of times. It's a beautiful mooring, especially if there's any evening sunshine, but on one occasion we went for a walk down the towpath through the woods and came across some pretty odd/scary characters parked by the road - middle-aged 'traveller' types (for want of a better or more PC description) in a couple of beaten up transit vans, with some wild-looking dogs and very loud rave-type music. I was glad that we'd moored towards the northern end of the moorings, to be honest.

Substitute transit vans for beaten up old boats and you have just described a few boaters I have moored by.

Ian.

We moored further down on and off for years by Ian and Elaine would never moor on the bend, by the road. Never had trouble but used to hear and see evidence of all kinds of stuff going on. Once saw cooker sofa garden waste etc being pushed off a flatbed truck on cathiron lane at 30 odd mph. Burned out cars frequently. Brinklow itself is fine but there are seriously dodgy estates in rugby, and it's a cut through to cov for the pissed stoned and uninsured. Rugby being known colloquially as drugby of course. Course problem could just as well have come from a boat...

So sorry to hear you've been robbed. There are a minority of twunts that think it's ok to take other peoples stuff.

I moored on the bend there for a fortnight, around mothering Sunday this year. Worst problem was having to redo my pins on an almost daily basis so it can be a good area to stay in.

Rob

We moored further down on and off for years by Ian and Elaine would never moor on the bend, by the road. Never had trouble but used to hear and see evidence of all kinds of stuff going on. Once saw cooker sofa garden waste etc being pushed off a flatbed truck on cathiron lane at 30 odd mph. Burned out cars frequently. Brinklow itself is fine but there are seriously dodgy estates in rugby, and it's a cut through to cov for the pissed stoned and uninsured. Rugby being known colloquially as drugby of course. Course problem could just as well have come from a boat...

Seriously dodgy estates in Rugby?? :lol:

Where exactly? I've lived here all my life and can assure you there are no "seriously dodgy" estates here... :lol:

• Greenie 1

Seriously dodgy estates in Rugby?? laugh.png

Where exactly? I've lived here all my life and can assure you there are no "seriously dodgy" estates here... laugh.png

That was my first thought too. It's 40 years since I lived in Rugby and was only there for a year but we have moored there plenty of times before so much 48hr mooring was brought in. Can't say I was ever aware of it being dodgy at all.

The skool there has quite a good reputation!

smile.png

MtB

I'm told that young William Webb Ellis once picked up the ball on the soccer field, ran with it, touched it down over the line, then turned to the master in charge and asked "Now what shall I do with it, Sir?"

Which is how the Rugby ball came to have that peculiar shape.

I'm told that young William Webb Ellis once picked up the ball on the soccer field, ran with it, touched it down over the line, then turned to the master in charge and asked "Now what shall I do with it, Sir?"

Which is how the Rugby ball came to have that peculiar shape.

How thoughtful - eases insertion and stops your cheeks banging together during extraction

Beautiful place, but wasn't that where a pony was drowned deliberately a while back?

I think you're right - and while the incident which happened to the OP is regrettable and inexcusable, it's put into perspective by that appalling act.

How thoughtful - eases insertion and stops your cheeks banging together during extraction

You went to Rugby School, evidently?

I think you're right - and while the incident which happened to the OP is regrettable and inexcusable, it's put into perspective by that appalling act.

You went to Rugby School, evidently?

You spelled it wrong. A common mistake. The correct spelling is 'skool'. I know this because I read a book once, and this is how it was spelt.

Nigel Molesworth spells it 'skool' in the book, and he went to St Custards, so it must be right.

MtB

You spelled it wrong. A common mistake. The correct spelling is 'skool'. I know this because I read a book once, and this is how it was spelt.

Nigel Molesworth spells it 'skool' in the book, and he went to St Custards, so it must be right.

MtB

And here was me thinking it was spelt skewl.....

Prolly sumes oop me ejukayshun......

MtB

As any fule kno

Richard