Preparing to make an offer. . . Thoughts? :-)

towpathrider

Featured Posts

Its like anything else on the boat really. You'd look at the boat and also probably have an idea in your head of what the "optimal" boat might be like. It could be the decor, it could be certain equipment you want like solar panels or a big inverter or a genny. Then you'd go through a potential boat which is for sale, and make a little list in your head like "I want to change/add this, and it will cost £xxx" and going through pretty much everything, you'd end up with a total figure of what extra costs you need to add to the purchase price to arrive at your ideal boat. Of course, some of those items you might waver from your ideal list and say to yourself "yes ideally I'd like a built in 8kW generator but I'll try a standalone 2.6kW generator and see how I get on for a bit"; or "I'll see how I get on with this decor, knowing it can in theory be changed for £xxx at a later date".

When we bought our boat there were a few items we knew we'd change and spent about £500 immediately after we bought it. Then, used the boat for a bit and found a few other things (ok, a lot of other things!) we wanted to change or spend money on.......

I'm not ridiculing your idea, well, not much, anyway. ninja.gif

Given the choice, I would always have a generator on board, totally separate from the main engine, as well as a decently sized inverter or travelpower purely for the redundancy. As I would by definition be off grid when I was using it, I like the confidence that a backup gives. In the same way, when I get round to fitting a skin tank to replace the current radiator based cooling lashup on the engine, I'll probably fit a calorifier for hot water, while retaining the Morco. In an ideal world, I'd have an electric motor connected to the genny and driving the propshaft via a belt, too, but that might be considered going over the top...

I do share your desire for redundancy and the TravelPower does mean that we are 100% dependant on the engine for electricity.

I look after it well and keep spare filters/belts etc on board. I have thought about keeping a spare cylinder head and gasket set but have not done this yet but do have a spare injection pump!. A big genny does take up precious space and I reckon that in the event of a major engine failure it should be possible to go out and buy a little petrol genny very quickly even if this meant taxi or car hire costs.

.............Dave

I didn't realise this thread would end up being so popular! I suppose decor is quite a personal thing. Many buyers also seem to want to move into something that already matches what they want rather than being prepared to redecorate themselves, which makes sense of course, especially as the prices increase. We're happy redecorating (within reason) and are more concerned finding a space that is workable. I like having a controlled "project" (i.e. one that can be called finished at some point. . . .) A lot of boats within our price range are either cheaply (flimsily) fitted out or have owner fit-outs to varying degrees of success.

Re. the TravelPower, what benefit does this have over a generator of the same power? Beta Marine seem pretty cagey about thier prices so i'm not able to make a clear calculation. Presumably the greatest benefit of this is going to be if you are regularly cruising, as the electricity generated is a "free" side product.

• 7 years later...
12 minutes ago, tworivent33 said:

Try to think better about the decor. Look for ideas on Pinterest or maybe on sites like  https://www.theprojectgirl.com/ . Maybe you will find something interesting and necessary for your special occasion.

The post you re quoting is some 8 years old, so I would not guarantee that Bigredbus4468 will see it.

Edited by alan_fincher

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

That’ll be a bot then, last post being in June when Athy removed a link from it.

And even that June post was picking up on one that was 4 years old. I don't propose to open the link to the projectgirl here either.

Tam