Rachet Windlasses - any good?

Featured Posts

So what constitutes the perfect windlass?

Fits every spindle

Ratchet action

Extendible for max leverage

Light to carry

Floats/magnetic

Cheap to buy

Attractive design

Did I miss anything ?

And a wife on the end of it!
  • Greenie 1

Stop that or Rich will get on his high horse again!

MtB

Why would I get on my high horse? I simply found your original remark pointless and in bad taste and commented.

Something I have wondered on occasions, is your avatar a likeness of you?

I think apologies have been made and it is time to move back to the original topic.

Carbon fibre lock keys? Where?

They were available here: www.scraggend.com Viv Scragg, but just looked and the web site has gone.

img002702011071219161.jpg

Sorry.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showuser=3421

ETA Just found this:

"Viv Scragg on Monarch and Grimsby used to deliver around here, but an enquiry on CWDF elicited the info that she's sold Monarch and Grimsby is being modified at the moment, so is no longer trading".

Edited by Ray T

This is who I got my carbon windlass from after a feature in Waterways World. They do (did?) mostly bike carbon fibre, as can be seen on their Facebook page. (Now - the page hasn't been updated since February, and their website has expired, so maybe they aren't trading anymore - I don't know!)

https://www.facebook.com/PAStradingUK

very light and easy to handle. However - doesn't float and isn't magnetic! A wrist strap or float could be bonded on, but I haven't, and continue to hold on to it really tightly!

Cost? £60 + postage!

• 5 years later...

Tried one out at the weekend, this type was not noticeably heavier that a steel windlass. Worked well but very slow in ratchet mode  Would like to try it on a very stiff paddle unfortunately all this weekends ones were OK but, are GU lock gates getting heavier or am I getting older?

Tim

210 Marsworth Flight 27th October 2019.JPG

45 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Tried one out at the weekend, this type was not noticeably heavier that a steel windlass. Worked well but very slow in ratchet mode  Would like to try it on a very stiff paddle unfortunately all this weekends ones were OK but, are GU lock gates getting heavier or am I getting older?

Tim

210 Marsworth Flight 27th October 2019.JPG

You should have joined me on the Rochdale. A few stiff paddles here!

On 09/08/2014 at 10:05, Speedy23 said:

Hi all

I'm considering buying a ratchet-type windlass to ease the operation of stiff paddle gear. One type is described here

Does anyone have any practical experience of these - do they do what it says on the tin and what about value for money?

Your thoughts and comments very welcome.

Cheers

S23.

I use and like GoWindlass https://gowindlass.co.uk/

:)

• Greenie 1

On 13/08/2014 at 18:54, steven wilkinson said:

This is who I got my carbon windlass from after a feature in Waterways World. They do (did?) mostly bike carbon fibre, as can be seen on their Facebook page. (Now - the page hasn't been updated since February, and their website has expired, so maybe they aren't trading anymore - I don't know!)

I think they've now moved their entire business effort into producing trapdoors for canoes, since thir chocolate fireguard business also was also operating at a loss. ;)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

I have a 1" Leytool which fits most spindles and has a long handle. You still need a windlass to lower the paddle though.

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/ratchet-ring/ratchet-ring/ratchet-wrenches%3A-square-turnover-metric/f/13405

Much cheaper than the alternatives

Cheaper but you will end up carrying a windlass and a ratchet.

I have recently completed a journey of nearly 300 locks mainly singlehanded. I am registered Disabled and in addition I am awaiting  Rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders & only able to function with the aid of medication.

I used my ratchet windlass daily, as most times (rather depending on med's) I was unable to wind the paddles through 360 degrees.

Yes it is heavier to carry around especially climbing ladders in deep locks, but the disadvantages I my case far outweigh the assistance it offers.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend owning one in addition to the 'normal' lighter ones that I use to throw ashore to those wonderful people who go out of their way to aid a solitary boater .  

• Greenie 1

I saw a first time lock user with a ratchet windlass. Not sure if it’s the same as you were looking at. The problem was the ratchet only worked one way at a time and had to be taken off what it was doing to change direction. It meant they couldn’t operate the mechanism locked one way to lift the paddle mechanism slightly to release the safety lock and then use it the other way under opposite lock to operate the paddle. Completely useless, unless I was missing something. 

I understand the use of a rachet windlass if you have some kind of mobilty difficulty, ie. bad back and not able to wind the windlass through 360 degrees but other than that, I honestly fail to see what problem they're solving.

9 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

I understand the use of a rachet windlass if you have some kind of mobilty difficulty, ie. bad back and not able to wind the windlass through 360 degrees but other than that, I honestly fail to see what problem they're solving.

They provide income for the bloke that makes them.  ;)

To be fair, they don't seem short of folk who swear by them.  Perhaps the likes of you and I are fortunate in not seeing their benefit?

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

They provide income for the bloke that makes them.  ;)

To be fair, they don't seem short of folk who swear by them.  Perhaps the likes of you and I are fortunate in not seeing their benefit?

I don't swear, well a little. The Go Windless I invested in was a prezzie for my lock wheeler. Anything to make her life easier! Anyway, she finds it a great deal easier at difficult to operate paddles. If the mechanism is easy peasy you can use the non ratchet 'socket'. (Also to lower the paddle). Admittingly it's only taken a year or so for the lockwheeler to get the hang of which way to click the ratchet thingymajob. £65 well spent in my opinion. As a footnote. It don't fit the GU hydraulic paddle gear. 

General statement follows. So, if you want one, buy one. If you don't want one, don't buy one. 

4 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Be thankful you don't need one.

Exactly Laurie.  Most dissenters appear to be those who don't need one, but to those who do I'm sure they're a God send. If it helps to extend folks cruising lives or makes lock wheeling bearable for those who otherwise might struggle, I'm all for it.

• Greenie 2

On 07/11/2019 at 22:17, Ianws said:

I saw a first time lock user with a ratchet windlass. Not sure if it’s the same as you were looking at. The problem was the ratchet only worked one way at a time and had to be taken off what it was doing to change direction. It meant they couldn’t operate the mechanism locked one way to lift the paddle mechanism slightly to release the safety lock and then use it the other way under opposite lock to operate the paddle. Completely useless, unless I was missing something. 

Ian, If you're talking about the GoWindless you don't have to take it off to change the direction you just flick the catch.

Nightwatch said that if the lock mechanism is easy you can use the non ratchet socket (which is higher up the stem), but you don't have to. You merely us it as you would do with a fixed windless (i.e winding it round and round) and just ratchet it back and forth if the lock mechanism happens to be too stiff. 

Some have commented about how heavy it is. It weighs only a couple of grams more than a standard steel windless does.

My wife has had her GoWindless for 18 months and used it on around 500 locks. We feared that the teeth of the ratchet would wear in time but so far this hasn't happened and it is still working perfectly. 

• Greenie 1