Tividale Quays

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I'm not impressed about the comment "maybe you could gatecrash the whole explorer cruise? "

If you are on the BCN & would like to join us at the CRT Workshop at Bradley please email me first so we know who you are & explain arrangements and add you to our visit..

Good Times is absolutely right we have as many boats on the cruise that we feel we can manage & all places are booked for them. 

bcns.explorercruise@gmail.com

Right, a quick update.

@nellieD has been emailed, and very kindly invited us not just for the Bradley workshops tour, but also on the history walk along the closed locks.  As that is next week as part of the BCNS Explorer cruise, we have skipped Tividale Quays for now and are bimbling along the curly wurly instead - we will do Tividale one night on the way back round.  

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Right, a quick update.

@nellieD has been emailed, and very kindly invited us not just for the Bradley workshops tour, but also on the history walk along the closed locks.  As that is next week as part of the BCNS Explorer cruise, we have skipped Tividale Quays for now and are bimbling along the curly wurly instead - we will do Tividale one night on the way back round.  

Pleasant walk that.

21 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Right, a quick update.

I'd like to know more about the walk, if possible?

Richard

On 31/05/2019 at 21:26, RLWP said:
On 29/05/2019 at 11:41, nellieD said:

No problem if he wants to visit the Work Shop with us I just need to know. ?

Thank you for that

@Dave_P one for the alternative BCN Challenge?

Richard

On 30/05/2019 at 23:27, TheBiscuits said:

Right, a quick update.

Damn it, I somehow missed this whilst I still had time to get there.  Just from reading this thread it sounds right up my street too.  Good luck to all involved - I hope you have a great time. :)

On 29/05/2019 at 00:01, TheBiscuits said:

Challenge accepted.  Both of them in fact! :D

Some you win, some you lose!

Bradley Workshops, in company with the BCNS Explorer cruise:

The night before ... good fire, good wine and good company.  Good Times!

IMG_20190605_215011.jpg.fd3ac3e6e44955cb5061f9c66fc354a5.jpg

While BobBiscuits was paddling in muddy puddles ...

IMG_20190605_182704.jpg.1b351166933eca092a1391503a062b91.jpg

And MrsBiscuits was looking at lock gates ...

IMG_20190605_214751.jpg.78c82ac070c1fcb867c1e390b956139c.jpg

The morning after the night before ...

Top secret plans (unless you have a tape measure and know where the locks are!)

20190606_092430.jpg.365dedf863e0fea58bdf7fc2e0cc323b.jpg

Using a dry dock as a storeroom for metal parts ... they are confident in their gate seals!

IMG_20190606_093055.jpg.76638313f4f61d84eba25016868179ac.jpg

And the highlight of the workshops ... the "Boat-turny-over-thing"  (I think that is the technical term!) inside the shed.  They used to turn wooden bottomed boats over on this frame's grandfather, so the carpenters could replace the elm bottoms on boats. They did re-welding in the later years.   Sadly, 2/3rds of this has been removed and decked over to give room to make lock gates.  The site manager assures me they still have all the bits in storage though, so it could be reinstated if they need to.

IMG_20190606_093122.jpg.61f7b972612b4549003beebe1467ce7a.jpg

And of course, Tividale Quays (or Dudley Port depending on your preference!)

20190606_160456.jpg.bd3ae7b8498e06607a3af23a4b3fbfcd.jpg

The reason I think we failed @RLWP's challenge, was the weather forecast.  We moored there for most of the afternoon in bright sunshine under blue skies, then I looked at the forecast for today, and looked at the map for how far we were from shops/services etc.

So we copped out.  I have failed to spend a night in Tividale quays, but we did spend several hours there and were talking to the locals, who all were delighted to see boats inside the basin. If you want an excellent mooring (for about a hundred boats!) near a carvery pub, a Tesco and a post office, choose Tividale Quays.

We decided to move off under blue skies and no rain ...  but we will be back in the future, and Tividale is great.

10 minutes ago, nellieD said:

The "Boat-turny-over-thing" or Rotary Dock at Bradley In days when it was new.

I think Rotary Dock sounds so formal! :D

I'm sure I have seen film footage of it in use, but I can't seem to find it today.

Edited by TheBiscuits

I too have passed Tividale Keys and wondered why there were no boats there. Following this thread I might well stop there in future. Good to know there is a Tesco nearby as well.

Does anyone know what it is like for dog walking?

Well the BCNS cruise got to Tividale Quays in steady rain. However we cruised inside and turned, but did not stay as the weather was foul. The local may be friendly, but I saw no-one whilst we were briefly there. Looks like a goo stopping place though. If CRT (or local council) put a tap in I am sure more people would stop there.

• 7 months later...
18 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

Please let us know how you get on.

We survived!!

Actually we had a very peaceful night. Very little footfall, no loud voices on the way home from the pub in fact very little noise at all.  (Unlike the previous night that we had spent on the bollards near Sainsbury's at Oldbury, there the local car sales place (Arnold Clark) play inane radio over their external car park speakers continuously until closing time (7.30pm on Sundays) and start it up again at 7.30 am the next morning.) We'll probably stay here  at Tividale again and get a supermarket delivery.

We don't really do pubs so I can't advise on the local hostileries but we enjoyed the peace.

Edited by Alway Swilby

21 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

We survived!!

Actually we had a very peaceful night. Very little footfall, no loud voices on the way home from the pub in fact very little noise at all.  (Unlike the previous night that we had spent on the bollards near Sainsbury's at Oldbury, there the local car sales place (Arnold Clark) play inane radio over their external car park speakers continuously until closing time (7.30pm on Sundays) and start it up again at 7.30 am the next morning.) We'll probably stay here  at Tividale again and get a supermarket delivery.

We don't really do pubs so I can't advise on the local hostileries but we enjoyed the peace.

What’s the depth like in there?...often been tempted to go in but never been brave enough!