Who has an office on their boat?

Zayna

Featured Posts

My boss understands that I'd rather be on my boat than in the office. So he's buying me a laptop and will eventually get me a Three mifi account... I'm going to tether the laptop to my phone just to see how things go.

I'm trialling working remotely in a few weeks time. I won't have to be glued to my laptop all day every day but as long as I log in and respond to emails, there's no reason why I can't work away from the office more often.

Who has made the break? I'd like to be able to semi-retire in that I don't need to sit in the office behind a desk for 40 hours a week, I could just go in a couple of afternoons to tie things up.

That's the plan, anyway. unsure.png

Can you introduce your boss to mine please - although I spend all day at a desk and rarely need to actually talk to anyone they insist I come into work so they know I am there working angry.png

That's exactly what I do on a semi - retired basis. I use 3 sim in a wireless router and have a Vodafone mobile that I can tether if three signal too weak. You soon learn to moor where the signal is strongest . We are not on the boat all the time but now can travel for months at a time.

Can you introduce your boss to mine please - although I spend all day at a desk and rarely need to actually talk to anyone they insist I come into work so they know I am there working angry.png

Tsk. That's not very nice.

My boss will know if I'm not working because there won't be any orders coming in. And if no orders come in I don't get paid so it's in my own interest to switch the computer on and do a bit.

The only worry I have is that my other half will nag me to death to turn the computer off. He absolutely HATES computers and the internet and if I so much as spend five minutes on Facebook he nearly has a thrombie. I'm going to have to put my foot down because if there's no work, there's no boat...

Maybe your boss knows what you're like, lol! ;) ;) ;)

MtB

The only worry I have is that my other half will nag me to death to turn the computer off. He absolutely HATES computers and the internet and if I so much as spend five minutes on Facebook he nearly has a thrombie. I'm going to have to put my foot down because if there's no work, there's no boat...

This was always a source of trouble between me and my ex-her indoors.

No matter how logical it is that you'll need to spend hours on the PC, the emotional resistance to you using it while he's around will still be there, niggling away.

Emotions don't 'do' logic. In my personal opinion working from the boat could easily turn into a really Bad Thing for your relationship and is best avoided if possible.

Just recounting my own personal experience of this. You two may be able to cope with it better than we could!

MtB

P.S. A 'thrombie', lol!!

Tsk. That's not very nice.

My boss will know if I'm not working because there won't be any orders coming in. And if no orders come in I don't get paid so it's in my own interest to switch the computer on and do a bit.

He'd only have to browse CWDF to see if your working or not Zayna. ohmy.png

• Greenie 1

Thanks Mike!

I'm glad you understand. What he needs to understand is that unless he can support me in the manner to which I am accustomed, I have to earn a living. He hates that I'm in the office 40 hours a week and he is the one who has suggested that it should be simple to work from the boat, so let's just see shall we?

I do think it's possible but if he is haranguing me every time I switch the computer on, I will also have a thrombie.

laugh.png

Edited to add: Shush now Bizzard and have a greenio.

Edited by Zayna

I work odd hours all over the place and as such only need to go into the office when I have a meeting etc. I work from home when I can, I tether through my work phone which works well in London.

The issue isn't technical, that's all available, it's more of a state of mind thing. Really important to set some personal boundaries about when you start and Finnish as well as an acceptance that you are bringing your work into your house, which others try to avoid at all costs.

Sounds daft but you also need to think about your posture. Home and office furniture are different for different reasons.

Best

Rob

• Greenie 1

Zanya - you might want to double check your boat insurance policy too - as to if it covers things like work related items being used on the boat.

Some times they exclude such items and only cover 'persona goods/items' - you may have to add to your existing policy or take out a specific policy if you want to be fully covered.

Edited by The Dog House

Maybe your boss knows what you're like, lol! wink.pngwink.pngwink.png

MtB

Indeed she does clapping.gif

But so long as I get the work done why should she care (well to be fair she doesn't mind - it's her bos that insists we contractors come into the office - unless of course they need something doing and we can't get in for some reason then it's all OK)

I work odd hours all over the place and as such only need to go into the office when I have a meeting etc. I work from home when I can, I tether through my work phone which works well in London.

The issue isn't technical, that's all available, it's more of a state of mind thing. Really important to set some personal boundaries about when you start and Finnish as well as an acceptance that you are bringing your work into your house, which others try to avoid at all costs.

Sounds daft but you also need to think about your posture. Home and office furniture are different for different reasons.

Best

Rob

Very true- I started to work from home (we don't liveaboard) a few years ago. Everyone joked it would be great- no traffic, work in PJs, do the hoovering at lunchtime etc. I initially found it very lonely and you do need to be disciplined and get the work balance right. Its too easy to do a bit extra and hours later still be at a screen or start much earlier in the morning. It also depends on the work you do- but my work has spread into my home- so I bought a cupboard and everything goes in there at the end of the day. It can be a real benefit to work from home, but it took my mind a while to manage it and set boundaries. I even felt that I had to work longer and harder to prove I wasn't skiving and also the other half did distract me if he was at home

Plan it well and enjoy it

I have an office at the boat (allthough DVLA dont believe me!!) I use it at night rather than sit in the garage office its more comfy and the signal for the dongle is better in that steel box!!? why. For me it means that I can sort out those head scratchers that you get with cars sometimes but my other half doesnt like me working from home so same probs for me its a balance thing I think

Peter

Zayna, on 07 Aug 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

I'm going to tether the laptop to my phone just to see how things go.

Whilst it is possible to tether to your phone, check that it is allowed on your contract, and if so what is your allowance.

Several companies / contracts I have looked at allow an amount of Data, but only for use by the phone.

The 'small print' is often very, very small.

There have been examples of people being charged £1000's for 'overuse' of data allowance.

Daughter in law used the 'hotspot' on her 3 phone, registered with one of these 'film' service 'thingys' and ran up a humungus amount of Gbs using the playstation, TV and computer, was fortunately able to 'swap' the contract as it was less than 14 days.

You can buy (as an extra) Gbs of data from Three (I presume other are the same), but the only plan that lets you have unlimited tethering is the 'One-Plan'

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Whilst it is possible to tether to your phone, check that it is allowed on your contract, and if so what is your allowance.

Several companies / contracts I have looked at allow an amount of Data, but only for use by the phone.

The 'small print' is often very, very small.

There have been examples of people being charged £1000's for 'overuse' of data allowance.

Daughter in law used the 'hotspot' on her 3 phone, registered with one of these 'film' service 'thingys' and ran up a humungus amount of Gbs using the playstation, TV and computer, was fortunately able to 'swap' the contract as it was less than 14 days.

You can buy (as an extra) Gbs of data from Three (I presume other are the same), but the only plan that lets you have unlimited tethering is the 'One-Plan'

smiley_offtopic.gif

On my Iphone if I switch 'Personal Hotspot' to on I get a text from Three within about 10 minutes warning me that tethering on my current plan is not allowed and advising me I can buy a tethering 'add on'.

So they are getting good at detecting it is being used.

I'm fine with the tethering thing, I use my own laptop/tablet with it, and I don't download films, I just go on ebay now and then, on this forum and a couple of others, and pick email up. Oh and Facebook.

My daughter did this recently. Her employer arranged for an inspector to check things like desk height, lighting proper seating at work station. It was all OK she now only attends the office two days a week. It has resulted in my opinion, to a slight reduction in her "standards" we found her working, still in her pyjama's at three in the afternoon.

Edited to add tip. She had a sweater handy to pull on for video conferencing!

Edited by Radiomariner

My son and daughter in law travelled the Dutch and French waterways in their Dutch barge for three years. DiL worked from the boat (for a UK company)and did it all from the computer with a few trips back to UK to attend essential meetings and conferences. Son was meantime working on the boat whenever possible. DiL took a little while to get into the neccessary mindset for working from home but it worked for them.

It was essential that son was supportive and understood her need for peace and quiet when working.

I have a whole office boat! A wee 21 ft one tied behind the main one - I bought it as scap last year and fitted it with a desk, bookshelves, sofabed, kitchen sink & kettle and a portapotti. I work at home a lot and like to work strange hours, plus I find it distracting to have 'home' around when I'm trying to focus and John also gets frustrated watching me on the computer. This is my perfect (if slightly lavish) solution - gives me my space, lets me work into the night without disturbing him if needed, and I also manage to separate 'office' time and 'home' time better. It is also excellent for guests!

pipoutside.jpg

Pipinside.jpg

I work in software development for a large American company, and have worked at home since 1999. I use a laptop with docking station multiple monitors and keyboard etc at home. I use a VPN connection on to the corporate network, and VOIP and instant messaging for communication, plus email of course. I am more disciplined now than I used to be when I worked 15 hours a day, perhaps more the other way now.

When it makes sense (for me!) I also work from the boat. On that boat I have a folding desk and chair that live under the bed when not in use. The only issue I have is that working with only one screen when on the boat is a bitch when you have used to having more!

For internet I use my iPhone if that has a signal, or a dongle which almost always will get a signal event when the phone does not. I use the same VOIP for phone as I use from home, or if the internet connection is dodgy I use a mobile phone, on a different network to my iPhone if need be. Headset or speaker for the phone, can't do with holding a phone for endless hours on conference calls.

I shall be working form the boat tomorrow whilst going up Napton wink.png