Genny v solar

bigcol

Featured Posts

Yep, I've come to the conclusion that yes I will be stupid not to keep solar.

But at the moment I have 2x large panels at the front 2 x 247 watts stopping access to the roof from the front of boat which is a lot easier for wife and I to get on the roof.

Do I really need the 2 panels?, just keep one, or could I sell these and get flexible ones, ( can flexible ones be walked on?)

Folks that have silent Gennys, what wattage solar do you have please?

I have 2 pics showing where the panels on, and yes was my fault that I mounted them at the front, there's nowhere else they can go, maybe one would have been enough

Thanks for your patience, I do listen sometimes, and value advice

Col

(4x 30w Amorphous Solar Panels.

Rutland 913 Wind generator.

Twin 100Amp Alternators Run through an Alternator management system.

3.5 Kva Mastervolt Whisper Gen.

Meets all my power requirements for my livaboard needs to date)

As leeco says, Storage Boxes are a good idea Col. !,

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

But at the moment I have 2x large panels at the front 2 x 247 watts stopping access to the roof from the front of boat which is a lot easier for wife and I to get on the roof.

Do I really need the 2 panels?, just keep one, or could I sell these and get flexible ones, ( can flexible ones be walked on?)

Folks that have silent Gennys, what wattage solar do you have please?

I have 2 pics showing where the panels on, and yes was my fault that I mounted them at the front, there's nowhere else they can go, maybe one would have been enough

Col

When we fitted solar to our boat (probably smaller than yours) it was a balance of cost, expected electricity demand BUT ALSO space consumed on the roof. They were fitted while still allowing reasonable access to the roof, for the few occasions its needed to get onto it. Can they be moved to make things easier?

Col,

It Looks like a good installation matey,

Is there a 'Possibility' of 'Hinging' both the Pt & Stb edges of the panels,& fitting some Double Glazing Window type Arms to the sides of the panels. This will not only allow you to 'Tilt' the Panels for greater performance, but in the Tilted' or Open positions, actually create a walk way through the middle at the Center of the roof !.

(Does any of that make any sort of sence, Open your Windows at home, look on the top & Bottom edges & think about what I mean,,,Think Tower Bridge in London,)

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Folks that have silent Gennys, what wattage solar do you have please

Col

Hi Col,

900watts of flexible solar can be walked on and works well and looks better than my old rigigid set up

Peter

Col

Even thou you can walk on the flexible ones, it's not recommended. However as they are only around 2-3mm in height they may be an option to put on your wheelhouse roof?

Col

Ours is a 3.5kva coccooned water cooled genny. But we use it so infrequently due to the solar keeping the batteries well up it is overkill for topping them up, often only producing 20 amps or so. So for that we have a small Honda eu20i converted to run off LPG.

The more panels the better.

Why not think of getting some storage boxes made and fit them into the tops then you have extra storage and if you get the right boxes you can tilt the panels as you get a lot more amps of the panels if you can tilt them to the sun even in summer.

DSC05549_zps0c577843.jpg

This is what we have. 4 x 100 watt tilting panels in the roof boxes and a further box with 130 watt laying flat.

Lots of useful storage.

Ken

Ours is a 3.5kva coccooned water cooled genny. But we use it so infrequently due to the solar keeping the batteries well up it is overkill for topping them up, often only producing 20 amps or so. So for that we have a small Honda eu20i converted to run off LPG.

DSC05549_zps0c577843.jpg

This is what we have. 4 x 100 watt tilting panels in the roof boxes and a further box with 130 watt laying flat.

Lots of useful storage.

Ken

That's a nice looking set up you have.

This is mine I did the other day.

I pop riveted all the panels together and framed it all up in white ash.

DSC_1419_zps936a7282.jpg

DSC_1431_zps32a7b7bb.jpg

DSC_1433_zps3c3439d9.jpg

It may not look pretty but it works great and no thief is going to take them as its very heavy.

This is how I did my mates but its just temporary until he gets some metal brackets made.

DSC_1423_zps6424f8f5.jpg

We both have the same set up and the other day when it was sunny I was getting 55amps with tilt and he was getting 35amps with no tilt.

Solar panels really come into their own if you were to keep your boat on say Lake Chad in the Sahara desert where the sun shines strongly more or less all the year round. And if you wanted to repaint the boat you would just need to wait for a good powerful sand storm to grit blast your paint off, all for nothing.

I just need to see what happens when its windy boat.gifunsure.png

Hi Leeco

We have 2 x 250w panels in our array. The panels are set into some very rigid framing and marine plywood. The array including the swivel base weighs 96 kilos.

DSCF2538_zpsbd0b7b9b.jpg

The array is also held down with 4 heavy duty straps on each corner which we attach if on the move or in windy weather. Through the bad storms we had several months ago the straps held out well and we had no problems. A couple of weeks after the storms receded we went out for the day and didn't bother to strap the panels down. Sods law a freak storm occurred the same day. When we returned to the boat the array was missing.

Luckily we had left the 2 rubber straps attached on the side the panels were tilted. The wind must have completely lifted the array up in the air and flipped it over. One of the straps snapped but fortunately the other held so the array was half in the canal and half out leaning against the boat side. We dragged it around to the tow path side and hauled it out. I was amazed that something weighing 96 could take off in such a manner. If the rubber strap hadn't held out the panels would either be laying flat in the canal or in the middle of a field somewhere.

I have to say your array looks much less secure than ours and lighter so could be at risk even with light winds of 30/40 mph. Personally I would rig something to make them more secure.

Hi Leeco

We have 2 x 250w panels in our array. The panels are set into some very rigid framing and marine plywood. The array including the swivel base weighs 96 kilos.

DSCF2538_zpsbd0b7b9b.jpg

The array is also held down with 4 heavy duty straps on each corner which we attach if on the move or in windy weather. Through the bad storms we had several months ago the straps held out well and we had no problems. A couple of weeks after the storms receded we went out for the day and didn't bother to strap the panels down. Sods law a freak storm occurred the same day. When we returned to the boat the array was missing.

Luckily we had left the 2 rubber straps attached on the side the panels were tilted. The wind must have completely lifted the array up in the air and flipped it over. One of the straps snapped but fortunately the other held so the array was half in the canal and half out leaning against the boat side. We dragged it around to the tow path side and hauled it out. I was amazed that something weighing 96 could take off in such a manner. If the rubber strap hadn't held out the panels would either be laying flat in the canal or in the middle of a field somewhere.

I have to say your array looks much less secure than ours and lighter so could be at risk even with light winds of 30/40 mph. Personally I would rig something to make them more secure.

Thanks for that and will look into getting some good straps.

This is how I did my mates but its just temporary until he gets some metal brackets made.

DSC_1423_zps6424f8f5.jpg

We both have the same set up and the other day when it was sunny I was getting 55amps with tilt and he was getting 35amps with no tilt.

Hi am interested in putting panels on wheelhouse roof, our roof was a thin ply, but changed for canvas,

how did you make waterproof, or were they meant just to sit on top of a waterproof top ie ply or plastic.

Col

Hi am interested in putting panels on wheelhouse roof, our roof was a thin ply, but changed for canvas,

how did you make waterproof, or were they meant just to sit on top of a waterproof top ie ply or plastic.

Col

I just temporary screwed the timber at the front and back of the wheelhouse where he has a timber edge but I think he's putting them on the top of the boat on metal brackets.

Even thou you can walk on the flexible ones, it's not recommended. However as they are only around 2-3mm in height they may be an option to put on your wheelhouse roof?

It says on mine that they can be walked on they are Xunlight panel made in USA but I do avoid it as I dont believe everything I read cheers.gif

Col,

It Looks like a good installation matey,

Is there a 'Possibility' of 'Hinging' both the Pt & Stb edges of the panels,& fitting some Double Glazing Window type Arms to the sides of the panels. This will not only allow you to 'Tilt' the Panels for greater performance, but in the Tilted' or Open positions, actually create a walk way through the middle at the Center of the roof !.

(Does any of that make any sort of sence, Open your Windows at home, look on the top & Bottom edges & think about what I mean,,,Think Tower Bridge in London,)

Hw38PWY.jpg

Hi ya Julynian, yes, that's exactly what they are, (read my previous post for my crappie description). You could Double up on the Hinges, by mounting one on the Inside of the Frame, & one on the Outside of the Frame on each side so 4 brackets per panel (Sandwiching the Frame in effect) 'Maybe'!.

Hi ya Julynian, yes, that's exactly what they are, (read my previous post for my crappie description). You could Double up on the Hinges, by mounting one on the Inside of the Frame, & one on the Outside of the Frame on each side so 4 brackets per panel (Sandwiching the Frame in effect) 'Maybe'!.

Cheers Paul, I could get these for nowt as a local D/G company is happy for people to remove stuff from their disposal area. Possibly a set of hinges for a larger size window will also be an option.

They're especially good as they'll probable hold the panel open at any angle like a friction hinge so reduce the need for a stay. From the photo it looks like yours are doing exactly that.

We run our washing machine off the solar panels (400 watts in 4 panels currently) The Candy washer has a setting for 'use whatever comes from the tap' so no heater involved. Washer draws only about 260W so is easy off our 1500W inverter on a sunny day. (It's all very well having big inverters but can the engine/alternater keep up with demand?)

We use the genny only in winter and the engine about once every two weeks for an hour to go get water and empty tanks.

Without the solar our batteries would be run low every night - shortening their life.

Without the solar we would have double the petrol bill

Without the solar we would be lugging the generator on and off the boat every day, all year AND listening to the thrumming of the thing not to mention annoying neighbours

Without the solar we would be polluting twice as much as we currently do.

Solar panels need no servicing, no oil changes, no carrying about, no worrying about whether they'll start. We could also go and buy an extra panel at any time and make ourselves even more smug about our (semi) free electric.

Oh and I forgot - we are big users and 100% off grid with an electric fridge, all the gadgets and we hardly ever give our battery levels a thought for about 5/6 months of the year they are always above 12.2V

The less we rely on generators the better and it's just so easy with a bit of thought. One thing I can't help with is the hair dryer! only use during the winter?