Southern softies heading North - Leeds & Liverpool advice, please.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Look forward to meeting you, that is if we're still here ourselves. The boat will be, but we're in the process of buy a house and will be moving off some time.

Bob

I look forward to meeting you too when we finally get there.

If you get the chance to stop overnight at Dowley Gap, I can recommend the Fisherman's Inn. It is right next to the canal and the real ale is as good as you will find on the L&L. Food pretty good too, especially the Sunday lunches. There are moorings right outside.

This was good advice.

Very good - we ate there last night.

Very quiet moorings right outside, as stated.

Well we have just gone through the Forge locks, heading towards Leeds.

I hope the lockie there is a bit of a pessimist!

"People normally only make the run into Leeds first thing to avoid trouble - they don't do it in the afternoon - hopefully if you are lucky the rain will come back and keep them indoors!"

When I asked "do you get a lot of trouble then he said " we had a lot yesterday all the way into Leeds, because it was sunny, and they were all out boozing it up".

It has since started raining again, so perhaps I'll not complain about the rain!

Well we have just gone through the Forge locks, heading towards Leeds.

I hope the lockie there is a bit of a pessimist!

"People normally only make the run into Leeds first thing to avoid trouble - they don't do it in the afternoon - hopefully if you are lucky the rain will come back and keep them indoors!"

When I asked "do you get a lot of trouble then he said " we had a lot yesterday all the way into Leeds, because it was sunny, and they were all out boozing it up".

It has since started raining again, so perhaps I'll not complain about the rain!

THIS! This is the main reason for the rep of this area. I'm almost certain they do it, as they don't want people stopping on the long pounds in between the locks, therefore holding them up, We have been up and down this area about 4 times in the last 2 months, a couple of times it was boiling weather, not one hint of trouble.

I also live close to the area, and it's nothing like these lockies are making out.

Edit to ask.. so did you have any issues with the locals on the way through?

Edited by Gazboatman

We went from the top of Apperley Bridge (Dobson) locks,probably left about 10:30 am & arrived Leeds centre 4:30-ish, I didn't note the times, no hint of any bother. It was a cold day, for June, and a bit damp, but not horrible weather.

Tim

It's a shame an area, which does have some nice parts along it, is gained such a rep, down to lazy lockies, who just want you through as quick as possible, so they can get on their way. Don't get me wrong problems can occur along this stretch, but no different to any built up area heading into a major city, anywhere else in the country.

We were quite grateful of both the lockies & security peeps when we came through kirkstall locks.

It was just after midday and the feral youth were starting to get bored and restless...threatening to jump on the boat etc. There were only about 10 of them but it could have been a lot more amusing if we were on our own.

I guess you are lucky if you go through on a cold rainy day when they don't want to swim about in a lock.

Cheers

Gareth

We came up the flight from Leeds last year, and had a couple of problems, snapped tiller bar, and a fuel filter problem. Meaning we had to stop a few nights, in between the long pounds. We were warned by the lockies when we told them we'd have to stay here and there, meaning they would have to come back the next day, and the one after that. "oh you don't wanna stay round here" When I told him, not to worry I live around here, he soon shut up. We didn't have any problems with anyone.

To be fair it's not just the lockies who make negative comments about the run into Leeds, we have heard it said by the guy at Rodley boat services too, he once warned us of the same.

We once encountered some young lads on the run in who were fishing in the canal but one broke off to give me a hand with the nearby lock, I seem to remember saying he was 'bored' fishing (who can blame him!)

He did also say that not all boaters are particularly friendly seemingly always assuming the worst about 'the youth of today'.

I have no doubt people have experienced issues on that stretch but like others I do wonder if it deserves what seems to a particularly bad reputation.

He did also say that not all boaters are particularly friendly seemingly always assuming the worst about 'the youth of today'.

I think this is the problem.

If you jump in with both feet, shouting at the kids, saying "You shouldn't be doing that! / Why aren't you in school?" or somesuch then you will get trouble.

When I started teaching I learned very quickly that a confrontational attitude like that just puts backs up and doesn't work.

they are only children mostly larking

about swimming in the lock, the area is

quite deprived for a big city and they possibly

don't have money to spend on entertainment.

i wish people wouldn't be so scared of them, maybe engage with

them, have a chat , give them a chance,they mostly

have nothing and nothing to look forward to

in the future....who knows, if you could interest them,

they could become the boaters of the future

When we last came up that flight in 2006 the lockie greeted us with "Welcome to Beirut" and "Do the flight in the morning" (it was school time). In fairness though, to those who would accuse them of exaggerating, they did have to keep their own cars in garages created out of shipping containers, to prevent them being vandalised.

Roger

This is Cath posting. Alan is steering the boat, I'm nicking his laptop.

Having had a very 'interesting' trip down the Aire, and up the Calder we are just arriving in Wakefield at Fall Ing Junction.

We've suddenly realised that we don't know anything about the place. Where is good/safe to moor? Where to avoid?

Cheers Cath

Oh yes, Chalice in Granary Wharf Arm this morning.

This is Cath posting. Alan is steering the boat, I'm nicking his laptop.

Having had a very 'interesting' trip down the Aire, and up the Calder we are just arriving in Wakefield at Fall Ing Junction.

We've suddenly realised that we don't know anything about the place. Where is good/safe to moor? Where to avoid?

Cheers Cath

Oh yes, Chalice in Granary Wharf Arm this morning.

Did you see my earlier post about a hand spike, you will need one shortly but I can't see that you clocked my post about it?

You have made good progress, I was concerned you may not have got onto the Aire but the levels seem fine despite the rain.

Hi, Cath again.

Yes, sorry, Martin, we did manage, finally, to get a handspike at Stanley Ferry. Alan will doubtless post about the interesting journey we've had on the rivers today.

We are now mooring opposite the Ruddy Duck in Wakefield. It looks OK, a bit noisy, between two busy roads, but we've moored in Central London and Central Birmingham before. If anyone has any dire warnings, please let us know so that we can try to get a bit further before dark.