'Blacking' again!!

Featured Posts

Sorry to bring this subject up yet again folks, but it seems wherever I inquire about the service I'm being told the same 'sorry cant stay aboard whilst this is being done' frusty.gif owing to an accident that happened somewhere and were fined and now their insurers wont cover for this!!!

So my question is this... what about live aboards, whereby this is their only abode and they 'cant afford' to stay somewhere else and pay for accommodation plus the bill for their boat as well?? This surely will affect a lot of docks if this is how it has got to be now....(H&S no doubt again)

So I'm running out of boatyards now who will do my hull blacking and let us (and 5 little doggies) stay aboard during the process... in past years was fine.... So why now?? Why cant one just sign a disclaimer to let them off the hook as it were, like they do in hospitals prior to an operation ... daft argue.gif

Sorry to bring this subject up yet again folks, but it seems wherever I inquire about the service I'm being told the same 'sorry cant stay aboard whilst this is being done' frusty.gif owing to an accident that happened somewhere and were fined and now their insurers wont cover for this!!!

So my question is this... what about live aboards, whereby this is their only abode and they 'cant afford' to stay somewhere else and pay for accommodation plus the bill for their boat as well?? This surely will affect a lot of docks if this is how it has got to be now....(H&S no doubt again)

So I'm running out of boatyards now who will do my hull blacking and let us (and 5 little doggies) stay aboard during the process... in past years was fine.... So why now?? Why cant one just sign a disclaimer to let them off the hook as it were, like they do in hospitals prior to an operation ... daft argue.gif

I could stay aboard when I had my blacking done in May and others have said they do as well, Where abouts are you?? Someone on here will be close by and let you know a dock were you can stay aboard

Hi ya,

At the Marina I am currently staying at there is no issues or problems with people staying aboard while 'Cosmetic' Hull Antifouling or Polishing work is undertaken !.

So I don't know if its everywhere that you are having this sort of feedback !, it might just be a case of phoning around until you get a yes !

Hi folks... sorry yes I should have said we're based in Kings Bromley on the T+M. I've already tried down towards Burton... at Jannels (not sure if name is still the same now) I've Tried Fradley Jnc... When out last week tried Sherbourne Wharf and couple of others but all so far say same... NO

We were blacked in Sherborne at the beginning of this month and stayed onboard. Talk to Richard, their engineer directly and ask.

Really? I sent them an email asking prices and could we stay on board whilst the process is completed, and Eamon replied Sorry NO.

I did challenge this saying how do other boaters manage if they cannot stay with their boat, to which they replied 'I would have to seek alternate accommodation whilst the boat is in the dry dock!!!

That would be the fatal accident at Worsley. Not so much can't stay aboard because of insurance, but can't stay aboard because they recognise the risks associated with getting on and off the boat and have decided not to provide the plank or steps with secure handrails that would satisfy H&S. Other yards may have got the appropriate equipment or are happy to risk the statistically unlikely event of a repeat accident.

Spent a night on board whilst in dry dock in Glascote Basin out of necessity, although I'm sure I could have stayed for the whole week.

Dark and dingy with the added hassle of trying (and failing) to catch an errant duckling who had fallen into mud at the bottom. Following morning woken by the whole family of ducklings who had joined their sibling in the mud, with irate mother wandering around the edge. All sorted eventually.