BMC 1800 gearbox oil filler

Featured Posts

When i bought my boat i was told that the engine oil "fed" the gearbox so i didn't have to worry about gearbox oil. Travelling from Keadby to Newark today i was told that the gearbox should be filled seperate from the engine but can't find any filler/oil dipstick other than engine. There is a tap affair on bottom of engine which i think pumps out engine oil when time comes to change . Can anyone shed any light on this please.

No - with a BMC 1800, the engine oil will be quite separate from the gearbox.

Ideally we need to know what gearbox it is.

PRM / Hurth / Something else?

EDIT:

To late - beaten to it!

Edited by alan_fincher

If it is anything like ours its a Hurth and the dip stick is in the filler plug and the oil is that red automatic transmission fluid

Yes, but if it is a hydraulic PRM Newage box,which is at least equally likely, then you need to use engine oil, and ATF would definitely be wrong.

It isimportant OP identifies what they have, as advice will differ, depending on what it is.

Right, that's a PRM Delta gearbox. It uses engine oil, and hasn't run out yet otherwise you would have lost drive

On the top is an 18mm AF brass bolt, undo it and you'll find the dipstick sticking out of the bottom

The dipstick has two marks for Max and Min, and you get a reading when screwed in - this is a nuisance. The alternative is to put the dipstick in until the threaded bit sits on top of the gearbox. The read the dipstick using the lower mark as Max and the bottom of the stick as Min

These dipsticks are notoriously difficult to read, they pick up oil if you touch anything inside the gearbox while sticking it in or pulling it out. Persist and you'll get the hang of it

Richard

MORE: Some stuff on the Delta here: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=52503

EVEN MORE: PRM Delta:

PRM-150D3.jpg

Oil filler on top

Edited by RLWP

Our PRM has very stiff hydraulic pipes across the top of the filler, the pipes move enough to get the dip stick out but is about impossible (as a one-man job) to pour oil in.

I have found the best way to top-up the oil is with a very large syringe (50ml +) which you can either 'wriggle' thru' the pipes or, add a bit of correct size piping to the end of the syringe - this also allows easier filling from your 'bulk' oil container.

Thanks Richard.

Will have a look at it later tonight.

By way of explanation the guy i bought the boat from came to do 2 or 3 jobs on the "subject to survey" list. The diesel boiler ,fridge and one or two other bits. He went to his car to get some tools and had an heart attack (honestly) . His two sons were with him so they called ambulance and had him carted him off to hospital. This meant the questions and queries i would have been picking his brain with was no longer possible. This kinda left me in the lurch as he no longer wants anything to do with the boat so thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I found it a good idea to ignore the dipstick on the filler and use an alternative. I cut a piece of wood to drop into the gearbox with max and min marks cut into it. This is much easier to read than the proper one - see photo yes I know its crude but it works!!!

IMG_3601_zps863347ef.jpg

Why didn't I think of that! The dipsticks seem to be common to all of the boxes, so one would cover all of them

Genius!

Richard

That one has been in use on Dasque for about 10years and its still going strong. Glad to be of help and nice to be acknowledged as a genius!!

Richard

ps bobbins now with Ally