Bacon & broccoli & chanterelle pies + baked beans & potatoes

Emerald Fox

Featured Posts

Hi boaty folk - are you brave enough to try this? Lot of work but results = good.

I would be interested to hear of anyone who attempts this, and what their verdict is.

This is my own concoction.

Here we go:

Make shortcrust pastry -

250 grammes plain flour

pinch of salt

125 grammes butter

45ml water

Throw the salt into the flour, mix with tablespoon, massage the butter in, adding the water. Let it rest. You'll want a rolling pin, large cup/mug for cutting circles out of the pastry. These circles get pushed down into those holes in a muffin tray (you know, the trays with 12 holes that go into the oven - yes, non-stick - but wipe the holes with butter first, as non-stick is never really non-sticky enough!).

What you'll spoon into those hollow pastry shells is this:

Well, I tell you what first, get the baked beans (Heinz - other brands are not as good) and small boiled potatoes ready - boil the potatoes in their skins, when cooked, remove the skins. That's the better way to do it, skins off with sharp knife. NOT potato peeler then boil!

The mix is this;-

Bacon - fry this. Use kitchen towel to absorb the excess grease/fat. Cut into tiny pieces with scissors - doing this in a bowl is easiest.

Broccoli - cook this (steaming best).

Chanterelle sauce - we can find this in packets in Finland (and if you want some I'm happy to post to you) - otherwise some kind of mushroom soup.

You mix these 3 together and spoon this wettish mixture into the pie shells which then go into the oven, 200 degrees Centigrade for, say, 30 minutes. Keep an eye on them, you want a slight brown tinge and hardness to the crusts - black smoke extending as far as Edinburgh probably means you'll have to start again!

You serve these pies hot, with hot baked beans and warm boiled potatoes.

It's a very simple meal, I know, and a lot of work to arrive at it. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be disappointed. And... have you ever had this before??!!