My boat has sunk in Kingston (1939 ww2 wooden motor cruiser)

Marcuswarry

Featured Posts

Ah that's the one!

Need to move it by 21st dec.. So slightly up against it...

I posted on Shiply... But nothing come in as yet!

Mx

You might find this is the answer Marcus. I've made use of their services on several occasions all with excellent results. For anyone with a van or large car .......... or who needs stuff shifting, this is well worth investigating. http://www.anyvan.com/

Thank you for all your help and suggestions!

Someone came good on shiply, who's picking her up tomorrow am... So all going well... Lady Ethel shall be at her new home by about 2pm!

Yes the cost was more than I paid for the boat... Which is mildly jarring... But then again, I did only pay £142.99 for the boat... So not all bad eh?

Thanks again, you're all legends!

Mx

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone!

Firstly, some rather fun news! Lady Doris & I are going to be on the telly... (on GC's Amazing Spaces, Channel 4). I'll let you know when it's ging to aired.. but not for some time yet, as we have quite a way to go.. in fact, she's still got mud smeared all over the inside! ... But now the weather is warming up a bit, I'm chucking myself back into the project with gusto.

I'm afraid I may be on this forum a bit more regularly again, asking for your help and advice! Brace yourselves!!

The first BIG thing to tackle is putting in a system that heats the boat, heats the water, and ideally generates electricity too.

At the Ecobuild conference (Excel, London), the only thing I found that did all three well, was still in development, and not going to be ready for a few more months! And so I've downgraded my desire to just having a system that heats the boat & water instead!

Since posting about this last time, I read all your incredibly useful input, and have been researching and educating myself about the various options out there. I was veering towards Diesel... But now I'm veering towards Gas...

One of my primary concerns, as some friends may come & use the boat when I'm not there.. is that the system is super simple & super safe!! Ease at which you can buy fuel is important too (and the cost!).. and the fact that most Petrol Garages sell propane bottles is a plus.. whereas, pootling off to find red diesel, when the boat is mostly stationary, could be come a slight pain.

The other thing I want (and this is where I may sound like a slight novice again, so please bear with me!), is for the heating system to work without any Electricity. I have a mid stream mooring, and there is no mains supply. The only way to get 240v would be by using an inverter on my 12v system, and that would RINSE the batteries, which are primarily being topped up with solar (at the moment, looking at other options too).

I believe if the system can run off 12v, I'd be fine... The reason why I want the system to be on standby, when I'm not in the boat, is so I can turn it on remotely, using one of these clever systems I saw at ecobuild: www.cimote.com - this would also enable me to control the thermostat remotely too... quite snazzy... but also super handy in winter of course, when I can turn it on 30 mins before I arrive!

FYI, this climote gadget doesn't require Wifi.. it actually has a sim card in it.. so you can text it your instructions - neat eh?

Other things I'm stil deliberating!

1 - Whether I can "easily" turn Thames water into water I can use for the heating system & for showers etc.

2 - Whether to heat water and store in a tank.. or just have a combi system, that heats it when you need it.. I'm not sure about the pros & cons (clearly having to store it is a con.. and you have to buy an extra storage thing.. AND it takes up more space - but what are benefits to doing that?!)

I'll stop before this becomes a mammoth email.. and I eagerly await your amazing replies! Perhaps one for you MagnetMan?!!??

Maybe you could be on the telly too?!

Marcus

xxxxxx

P.S. Richard, let's get you on the Telly! I think getting the sunken engine roaring back to life would be something they'd be very interested in capturing!!

Hello Everyone!

Firstly, some rather fun news! Lady Doris & I are going to be on the telly... (on GC's Amazing Spaces, Channel 4). I'll let you know when it's ging to aired.. but not for some time yet, as we have quite a way to go.. in fact, she's still got mud smeared all over the inside! ... But now the weather is warming up a bit, I'm chucking myself back into the project with gusto.

I'm afraid I may be on this forum a bit more regularly again, asking for your help and advice! Brace yourselves!!

The first BIG thing to tackle is putting in a system that heats the boat, heats the water, and ideally generates electricity too.

At the Ecobuild conference (Excel, London), the only thing I found that did all three well, was still in development, and not going to be ready for a few more months! And so I've downgraded my desire to just having a system that heats the boat & water instead!

Since posting about this last time, I read all your incredibly useful input, and have been researching and educating myself about the various options out there. I was veering towards Diesel... But now I'm veering towards Gas...

One of my primary concerns, as some friends may come & use the boat when I'm not there.. is that the system is super simple & super safe!! Ease at which you can buy fuel is important too (and the cost!).. and the fact that most Petrol Garages sell propane bottles is a plus.. whereas, pootling off to find red diesel, when the boat is mostly stationary, could be come a slight pain.

The other thing I want (and this is where I may sound like a slight novice again, so please bear with me!), is for the heating system to work without any Electricity. I have a mid stream mooring, and there is no mains supply. The only way to get 240v would be by using an inverter on my 12v system, and that would RINSE the batteries, which are primarily being topped up with solar (at the moment, looking at other options too).

I believe if the system can run off 12v, I'd be fine... The reason why I want the system to be on standby, when I'm not in the boat, is so I can turn it on remotely, using one of these clever systems I saw at ecobuild: www.cimote.com - this would also enable me to control the thermostat remotely too... quite snazzy... but also super handy in winter of course, when I can turn it on 30 mins before I arrive!

FYI, this climote gadget doesn't require Wifi.. it actually has a sim card in it.. so you can text it your instructions - neat eh?

Other things I'm stil deliberating!

1 - Whether I can "easily" turn Thames water into water I can use for the heating system & for showers etc.

2 - Whether to heat water and store in a tank.. or just have a combi system, that heats it when you need it.. I'm not sure about the pros & cons (clearly having to store it is a con.. and you have to buy an extra storage thing.. AND it takes up more space - but what are benefits to doing that?!)

I'll stop before this becomes a mammoth email.. and I eagerly await your amazing replies! Perhaps one for you MagnetMan?!!??

Maybe you could be on the telly too?!

Marcus

xxxxxx

P.S. Richard, let's get you on the Telly! I think getting the sunken engine roaring back to life would be something they'd be very interested in capturing!!

Well done Marcus but maybe it would be a good idea to start new topics about the various systems you are thinking about so the threads stay short and on one subject (some hope!)

Re the heating & electricity generation, Google "Whispergen" but do not expect it to be a cheap option and I am not recommending it.

Edited by Tony Brooks

• 2 months later...
Hello Everyone,
I thought you might like an update on the project!
Also, I'm sorry to ask after all your amazing help and support over the last year, but I do urgently need your help please?!

My old WW2 ship, Lady Doris is appearing on a well know TV programme (not allowed to say!!), and I have to get her ready for June 23rd, when they are coming to film the reveal!!

I've launched a crowdfunding campaign for SUPPORTERS, VOLUNTEERS & for CASH, so I can meet this deadline (there are lots of rewards like Lady Doris Deckhand Mugs & T-Shirts, Invites to Summer Parties, and larger Hen/Stag parties & Corporate events all on the unique & historic Lady Doris!

The deadline is getting super tight! Please watch my video on my project page, as it explains it all a bit better (hopefully you'll find it quite humorous too!) .. and I'm sorry for taking this liberty of asking for your help AGAIN, but I know you're all lovely, and I very much hope some of you might find this interesting, and maybe even be able to help - even if it's just by sharing my project with your friends?!

Lots of love,

Marcus

xxxxx

Here's the link again!! https://kriticalmass.com/p/projectladydoris

You can also follow our mad dash progress by joining our Facebook Group - Just search for "Project Lady Doris" or click here!

The TV crew are coming on Saturday 6th June - so if you come on that day, you might even get onto the telly?! You can join the fun in my "Project Lady Doris" group!

HERE ARE SOME PICTURES!!
Calendar in Lady Doris, showing the deadline of June 23rd! Less that three weeks to go now!
The outside - will hopefully be getting a lick of paint this weekend!
The bedroom is starting to look quite nice? Well it's getting there...
An evening BBQ, with some of my AMAZING volunteers / Lady Doris Deckhands!
Lady Doris Deckhand T-Shirts, that volunteers get!
MORE COMING SOON, THE LADY NEEDS ME, SO HEADING THERE RIGHT NOW
Please do swing by for a cup of tea, if you're passing!
XXXXXX

• 3 months later...