My boat has sunk in Kingston (1939 ww2 wooden motor cruiser)

Marcuswarry

Featured Posts

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

Man/Woman with Car & Trailer needed please?

Sorry I disappeared for a bit there.. thanks for the hints and tips on heating - wow - it's a big topic! I like the look of those diesel stoves.. a lot more homework required here i feel!

Firstly, some good news - she's still floating! And the bilge pump comes on very infrequently now... So it was the stern gland that caused the sinkage it seems...

No bad news fortunately in fact... just another little bit of good news.. Lady Doris (formerly Fairstar), is soon to be joined on the mooring by a little friend.. Lady Ethel...

Hope this link works?!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/106293457@N08/

She's in Seaford (between Brighton & Eastbourne), 67 miles away from Kingston Upon Thames (her new home).... and she doesn't have a trailer.. but there's a slipway very nearby.
She's 5m long and 2.4m wide...
I'm exploring options for getting her to Kingston, and I wonder if you or anyone you know might be interested in helping out (for money of course!)
Thank you for all you amazing help!! And I hope you all have a lovely Xmas!!
Marcus
x

Marcus, it's great to know that Lady Doris is floating well; I assume you're making gradual progress on fitting her out so you can potter up and down the Thames on her next summer?

Are you dead set on bringing Lady Ethel up the M23 on a trailer, or have you considered the adventurous option of a voyage around Kent? I'm guessing that a vessel of that type could do it safely in good weather with the right skipper, and that someone on here with sea-going experience like Paul's Nu-life 42 might be up for it? If you go for that option, you might want to wait for the spring...

Do I detect a trend here towards a fleet of river cruisers with old-fashioned women's names? Next up would be Lady Fanny. What? Nothing wrong with that name, I am a direct descendant of one Fanny Goodenough. Fact.

How much does it weigh Marcus?

It might need a braked trailer.

I have a small trailer you see - but its for a dinghy weighing only 90kg. Which prompted me to start thinking about what sort of trailer you need.

Perhaps a boat club, local to you or where your new boat is, might be able to help you

Hello!

Thanks for all the help! And for working out the weight carlt.

Quote from shiply in for £330... More than double what I paid for the boat amazingly...

Was really hoping to find a friendly pal with the right gear, who fancied some cash & mini 'adventure' ...

Oh I tried my local boat club as they have a suitable trailer... Just waiting to hear back from them!

Thanks again for all your help!

Mx

I wonder if it would be possible to get it in a Luton or LWB sprinter van? Probably a bit bonkers laugh.png but might fit vaguely

Winches and pallets to get it in and out

One of the websites suggest it is 17 foot long by 6 foot 2 inches wide. Dunno how big a Luton or Sprinter is, just providing info

Richard

Our Dawncraft was delivered (many years ago) on a traditional flat backed wagon, which the driver reversed rapidly down a slipway until the flat was submerged, hit the brakes and in she went. I assume it would have been winched onto the flat on a slipway, but wasn't there to see it.