G U turning into a marina

Top cat

Featured Posts

When we used to come through Milton Keynes from Marsworth years ago - it was an early start to get through . No to be honest we enjoy going through it and often stop en route - although we give the pubs a miss.

I should have highlighted the sarcasm when refering to the "urban blight" in Mk as some of you didnt get it. MK is probably one of the nicest cities to boat through more like a linear park. And I guess that's what makes it so attractive to continuous moorers. In fact did enjoy my trip on the GU it is getting too many long term moored boats, noticably more than when I last went on it 6 years ago.

How do I know about no licences? Easy look for the little squares with a date on hopefully one later than that day. Many did not have one at all or if they did it ended in a 12 or a 13. What makes me think they have been there for some time again easy, piles of stuff all over the towpath or with great piles on the roof and the steering position covered in stuff. You can tell when a boat hasn't moved for months.

Terry

Terry

This. as I'm sure you know, if you are honest with yourself, is one of the biggest loads of exaggerated bollocks that anyone has posted on this topic for quite a while.

For a start you seem blissfully unaware that despite the hype, the South East region has the lowest percentage of unlicensed boats in the whole country by a mile, (running at less than half the national average).

But why let your stupid prejudices get in the way of a "good" story, hey?

Also in my experience those stupid new "pass on tick-over" magnetic signs are not yet generally a feature of scruffy live-aboards, but are largely being taken up by cruising boats that think one rule applies to everybody else, but they are exempt from it.

A classic example would be a posh boat that accelerated smartly away from Wheaton Aston a few days away rocking everybody in sight, and causing extreme difficulties to two boats who were trying to tie up. They hadn't even bothered to take down their own "pass at tick-over" signs before doing precisely the opposite.

Finally, I believe there is just one sign in the entirety of Milton Keynes that has been there for years which says "boat thieves operate in this area". There is not a jot of evidence a boater put it there, I would suggest, and it is more likely I think that it is a resident trying to discourage mooring. You failed, by the way to mention the several posh houses that have "no mooring" signs outside them, but where almost certainly the signs have no legitimacy whatsoever.

There are many ways of presenting things, aren't there, and I would suggest yours is hardly impartial.

:clapping:

I should have highlighted the sarcasm when refering to the "urban blight" in Mk as some of you didnt get it. MK is probably one of the nicest cities to boat through more like a linear park. And I guess that's what makes it so attractive to continuous moorers. In fact did enjoy my trip on the GU it is getting too many long term moored boats, noticably more than when I last went on it 6 years ago.

How do I know about no licences? Easy look for the little squares with a date on hopefully one later than that day. Many did not have one at all or if they did it ended in a 12 or a 13. What makes me think they have been there for some time again easy, piles of stuff all over the towpath or with great piles on the roof and the steering position covered in stuff. You can tell when a boat hasn't moved for months.

Terry

Terry

Terry where have you been all our lives? you are our true salvation, indeed where have any of us been without your wise guidance, thank god you posted here tonight for I fear many of us would have been lost otherwise....

Also in my experience those stupid new "pass on tick-over" magnetic signs are SNIP

I freaking hate those signs. A sign of a "up yer own".

Edited by mark99

This. as I'm sure you know, if you are honest with yourself, is one of the biggest loads of exaggerated bollocks that anyone has posted on this topic for quite a while.

For a start you seem blissfully unaware that despite the hype, the South East region has the lowest percentage of unlicensed boats in the whole country by a mile, (running at less than half the national average).

But why let your stupid prejudices get in the way of a "good" story, hey?

Also in my experience those stupid new "pass on tick-over" magnetic signs are not yet generally a feature of scruffy live-aboards, but are largely being taken up by cruising boats that think one rule applies to everybody else, but they are exempt from it.

A classic example would be a posh boat that accelerated smartly away from Wheaton Aston a few days away rocking everybody in sight, and causing extreme difficulties to two boats who were trying to tie up. They hadn't even bothered to take down their own "pass at tick-over" signs before doing precisely the opposite.

Finally, I believe there is just one sign in the entirety of Milton Keynes that has been there for years which says "boat thieves operate in this area". There is not a jot of evidence a boater put it there, I would suggest, and it is more likely I think that it is a resident trying to discourage mooring. You failed, by the way to mention the several posh houses that have "no mooring" signs outside them, but where almost certainly the signs have no legitimacy whatsoever.

There are many ways of presenting things, aren't there, and I would suggest yours is hardly impartial.

Nicely put Mr Fincher - have one of those green things

Well said Alan

How do I know about no licences? Easy look for the little squares with a date on....

My dear Watson, the only thing you can safely deduce from the lack of a little square with a date on is that the boater is not conforming with license conditions which require a license to be displayed. It doesn't mean he/she hasn't got one. Mine keeps dropping off the window all the time.

My dear Watson, the only thing you can safely deduce from the lack of a little square with a date on is that the boater is not conforming with license conditions which require a license to be displayed. It doesn't mean he/she hasn't got one. Mine keeps dropping off the window all the time.

Yes I've only just noticed that one of my 2014 stickers on one side has disappeared. It's alright though, I've made a new one with biro.

Absolutely. Our tax disc holder in our car isn't very efficient either. I'm still waiting for the folk on here to admit to checking car windows for valid tax discs - the evasion of which has far more serious consequences.

I will never get my head around folks who peer into boats windows to check whether their licence is valid rather than enjoy their boating experience.

I'm seriously thinking about taking ours out of the window and replacing them with the 2008 ones I still have. Sitting beside the ACC sticker in our window it could cause some serious apoplexy to the curtain twitchers who spend their days chuntering rather than enjoying their boating.

You are doing it wrong! On the GU for me its 3+mph and sod those that arent tied up properly.

Never let moored boats impead your navigation.

What like the one you were swearing at this afternoon coming up the flight with the umbrella

• Greenie 1