Gas Locker with Waxoyl?

Featured Posts

Done a search but found nothing re. Waxoyl.

Scraped the bottom of the gas locker out today, and apart from some very minor surface rust it is in brilliant condition. I have treated it with a rust converter that I have had for donkeys years in the shed ("D-rust," don't think it is around now, but good stuff on my bikes/cars.)

I now need to paint/treat the area and wondered whether the Waxoyl that I have is up to the job? I know it stinks but the smell won't get into the boat.

Quite happy to re-coat the Waxoyl every few years.

I wondered if Waxoyl might be more forgiving when dropping gas bottles in?

Should add it is not a gas locker that is permanently awash like my previous boat, but does get a drop in now and again. It was painted with blacking previously.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks :)

Done a search but found nothing re. Waxoyl.

Scraped the bottom of the gas locker out today, and apart from some very minor surface rust it is in brilliant condition. I have treated it with a rust converter that I have had for donkeys years in the shed ("D-rust," don't think it is around now, but good stuff on my bikes/cars.)

I now need to paint/treat the area and wondered whether the Waxoyl that I have is up to the job? I know it stinks but the smell won't get into the boat.

Quite happy to re-coat the Waxoyl every few years.

I wondered if Waxoyl might be more forgiving when dropping gas bottles in?

Should add it is not a gas locker that is permanently awash like my previous boat, but does get a drop in now and again. It was painted with blacking previously.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks smile.png

Not sure about Waxoyl, it smells like its paraffin based wax and could remain flammable, so are most paints of course so I don't suppose it'll matter.

Waxoyl is brilliant and perfect in areas that are mostly hidden and don't require a painted finish, it will out perform bitumen and it's also self repairing, if you scratch it, the W/oil will refill the scratch over time. It's been used in ships bilges for yonks.

Not sure about Waxoyl, it smells like its paraffin based wax and could remain flammable, so are most paints of course so I don't suppose it'll matter.

thanks Bizz, hadn't thought about the flammability.

Waxoyl is brilliant and perfect in areas that are mostly hidden and don't require a painted finish, it will out perform bitumen and it's also self repairing, if you scratch it, the W/oil will refill the scratch over time. It's been used in ships bilges for yonks.

I did wonder about the self healing thing. The fact that it is used in ships bilges has convinced me!

Many thanks.

It also comes in black colour which I believe is added bitumen. I've found that overpainting Waxoyl with blacking takes away the stickiness, can't say if it affects it's performance or not other than my treated areas still seem ok.

Thanks for that. Your post reminds me that when I waxoyled under my Mini pickup, I did it exactly as you have described! (but had forgotten.) I mixed underseal (bitumen?) with Waxoyl and painted the underneath with this. Got plenty of bitumen blacking and waxoyl so will experiment :)

Have found that for the last few years Waxoyl is not as good as it used to be, before all the good/bad stuff was removed to make it more envoiromently friendly. We tended to use Comma Waxseal on smaller jobs as it covered better and seemed to self heal better. The downside is that it is only available in aerosols, but they would be excellent for doing gas lockers.we did contact Comma to see if they were going to do it in 5 litre containers again , as they did when it first came out, they told us they had no intention of doing it that way again