Wiring an electric fridge

Featured Posts

Our gas fridge has had it. It is old and showing its age so i am not even considering trying to repair. So leccie fridge here we come (they are a bit pricey though - any good used ones out there?). I have read up the wiring requirement but the articles/threads I have found thus far all point to wiring into the back of the battery master switch. I can understand that, especially for a live-aboard where an uninterupted supply is a prerequisite, but is there any reason the power cannot be picked up from a 12 volt plug and socket, provided the associated cable is of the correct diameter?

The cabling is very unlikely to be the correct diameter - but if it was (and it could cope with the fridge PLUS a device connected to the socket okay) then there's no legitimate reason not to connect it like this. Have a look at the installation manual for the electric fridge you buy, and it will probably specify 6mm2 or more though.

For 12V compressor fridges, usual rule is 1mm2 of cable size per metre separation between fridge and batts.

Need good connections throughout, best avoid extra ones if at all poss, don't forget the recommended fuse in the positive near the batts.

The instructions for the fridge should cover all this, maybe request/download a copy in advance?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

• 11 months later...

Opening up an old topic. Now have the fridge (Waeco CR50) and, looking at the instruction manual, it reckons for a 10 meter run I need cable in excess of 12 mm squared. I can only find 10mm or 16mm squared so I guess it will have to be the 16. Trouble is that stuff looks expensive so any pointers as to where I can get a good deal on 16mm squared battery cable?

To be honest I did wonder wether 10mm would be ok as the run is probably a meter or so less that 10 but having regards to the warnings on this forum I ha better go with the heavier stuff?

Help appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Traveller

Opening up an old topic. Now have the fridge (Waeco CR50) and, looking at the instruction manual, it reckons for a 10 meter run I need cable in excess of 12 mm squared. I can only find 10mm or 16mm squared so I guess it will have to be the 16. Trouble is that stuff looks expensive so any pointers as to where I can get a good deal on 16mm squared battery cable?

To be honest I did wonder wether 10mm would be ok as the run is probably a meter or so less that 10 but having regards to the warnings on this forum I ha better go with the heavier stuff?

Help appreciated. Thanks.

2 strands of 6mm2 would be an alternative. A bit cheaper and possibly easier for getting round corners. Mine is like this.

Paul

I'm sure 10mm2 cable will be fine for your 12 volt fridge cable run. As the issue is about what voltage the fridge compressor gets on startup (max current draw), some thought should be given to ensuring the batteries remain at or above say 12.2 volts (= 50% SOC).

Thanks Richard. That is kind of how I saw it. Maybe I go with that and if there are problems I can always double up. Battery levels should not be a huge problem as (1) I am not a live-aboard and (2) I intend to assist charging with solar.

Hi Phil, things are good this end. Still moored at Brandon Creek and they are a pretty good crowd down there - The Ship has great Friday nights, if headaches are your thing that is :-) Keep thinking about moving back up to Crick but the Great Ouse area has a lot going for it and is probably quieter than the canals.

Edited by Traveller

I find http://www.iem-services.co.uk/reasonable..