Solar Power - Cable size from MPPT to Battery Bank?

DCH

Featured Posts

Hi.

Could someone please tell me what size cable I should be using from my MPPT controller to my 12v battery bank with 3x100W solar panels connected in series? Distance from MPPT to batteries is 1.50mts.

Thanks for your attention.

DCH

Edited by DCH

It matters not what is on the input side to the MPPT, but if it potentially can put 300 watts ( 25 amps) or so in to the battery bank, you should size based on that

For that short distance 4mm2 should be fine, but I would use 6mm2.. and enjoy the fractionally less loss..

What cable size has been used from the panels to the MPPT, and what is the length of the run ? Being in series, the voltages of the panels will add, and the current will probably be no more than around 8 amps peak, but this run from the panels to the MPPT will likely be somewhat longer, than from the MPPT to the battery bank.

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

6mm2 would be the optimum in terms of minimising voltage loss, and within the practical parameters of finding MC connectors (it's difficult to find connectors that will take a larger diameter cable)

Please make sure you use proper solar cable, (which is UV resistant!)

cough, read the OP!!!detective.gif , controller to battery doesn't need MC connectors - or UV resistant cable.

I used to install with 6mm2 , however, with most customers seeming to surmise that they may add to the array at a future date, now use 10mm2 from controller to batteries, with a fuse holder capable of taking larger capacity fuses.

If the controller uses screw terminals it may be well worth putting 'bootlace ferrules' on the bare ends of the cable. (try Ebay, eleccy distributors for supply)

In the US there are a number of cases of burnt MPPTs which may well have been down to loose screw terminals: :o

XW-MPPT-60-150-FFFFUUUU-10-300x225.jpg

http://www.kg4cyx.net/xantrex-xw-mppt-60-150-squeezing-60-amps-through-a-toothpick/

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete