Leeds Bandit Country

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

I think that if I found something suspicious I would call the police on their non emergency number unless I thought that it might be a bomb. I have to say in my opinion the police are doing themselves absolutely no favours here, I would be very worried if I called the police for anything these days. You immediately become a suspect and, in some cases, can spend lots and lots of harrowing hours, to all intents and purposes, in police custody being questioned. I am not saying that from any personal experience I hasten to add but this is my gut feeling. So, from my point of view, I would have to be very very sure that what I was reporting was beyond my suspicion and that I was very very prepared for the, possible, grilling that I might get. I know that there are some on here that will say "so what if your innocent you have nothing to worry about" I am, really, not so sure that that is the case in this day and age with the police.

Pete

• Greenie 1

My darling first born is starting attending Leeds University in September. I keep hearing/reading stuff like this. My other precious baby has just completed her first year at Nottingham Trent uni. I keep hearing scare stories about Nottingham too. No wonder I don't sleep well at night! Somebody tell me its not as bad as it sounds!

My daughter also went to Leeds University and had a great time. This year she is marrying Nick who she met in her first year and they have been together for 11 years

We've boated in this area on several occasions over the last few years and have never had any problems.

I well remember the first night we moored at Rodley with a group of fantastic (and barking mad!) guide leaders...

I'd love to do the trip again!

Janet

I have never had a problem on this stretch nor have to the best of our knowledge any of our guests in the 7 years we hired

I must say nor have I but then I have never had any problems anywhere and I have moored in most of the supposed bad areas Edited by cotswoldsman

Daiboy actually called me stupid. But, to clarify it was a small bag of stuff. Not really worth a hoo ha. I disposed of it. End of.

I apologise if you were under the impression I was calling YOU stupid. I actually meant it was a stupid thing to do as it could have landed you in serious bother. Even after you had "disposed" of it, there will always be trace residue left. I could have worked out that the police were looking for an accomplice with a narrowboat say and yours may have been searched.

Best to leave anything suspicious ALONE and report it in.

Daiboy

After over 20 years of working around this area and knowing folk around said area. Bramley/Armley area of the cut is probably the dodgiest areas of the Leeds end of the LL. You can go past without any episode occurring but when it does occur you are always gonna remember it. Same as any big town or city there will be dodgy areas near the cut. Blackburn, Wigan, Manchester, Stoke, London we all know places where theres more chance of crime.

We came across about 6 blokes not kids/teenagers camping out on the locks in Bramley once. Lockie said there was 20 earlier, and further down the cut just before Leeds city centre my OH witnessed a bag snatcher on a bike. Exactly the same place where this unfortunate person was killed.

So those episodes will be kept in our memory. But I knew this area was suss. Dont be put off. Do your timings right and watch the weather. Theres always some one asking about bandit country where they are cruising. Its the way of life we live in. Theres roads and estates where folk say dont go all over the country.

My darling first born is starting attending Leeds University in September. I keep hearing/reading stuff like this. My other precious baby has just completed her first year at Nottingham Trent uni. I keep hearing scare stories about Nottingham too. No wonder I don't sleep well at night! Somebody tell me its not as bad as it sounds!

My daughter has also just finished her first year at Trent. She loved it and is pretty careful, so I am happy for her to spread her wings a bit. All cities - all towns and villages come to that - can be scary but if they take care they will come through it. It's not as bad as it sounds!

I live around the area near Rodley and lived here all my life and never had any problems in fact I used to be one of them kids that swim in the locks.

Having just had to spend an extended stay at Rodley due to a pair of knackered engine bearings I can recommend the food and service at the Turkish restaurant there and the quality of the beer at the Rodley Barge pub, the pub also does good value basic food.

I did however get fed up of being told that Lorraine Chase lived in the canalside cottage next to the pub!

Can also recommend the service from Rodley Boat Centre, they did their utmost to get us on our way at the earliest opportunity, don't let me start on at the price of Vetus spares though:-(

Tim

Can also recommend the service from Rodley Boat Centre, they did their utmost to get us on our way at the earliest opportunity, don't let me start on at the price of Vetus spares though:-(

Tim

All of who have Vetus know about their belief that their spares are made of gold.

Most engine spares can be had if you know the base engine. It's a fork lift truck motor, so plant spares suppliers will probably carry them.

Bob

My darling first born is starting attending Leeds University in September. I keep hearing/reading stuff like this. My other precious baby has just completed her first year at Nottingham Trent unoi. I keep hearing scare stories about Nottingham too. No wonder I don't sleep well at night! Somebody tell me its not as bad as it soun

Had a house in Nottingham over 30 years and often moored around the area for last 12. Love it.

My darling first born is starting attending Leeds University in September. I keep hearing/reading stuff like this. My other precious baby has just completed her first year at Nottingham Trent unoi. I keep hearing scare stories about Nottingham too. No wonder I don't sleep well at night! Somebody tell me its not as bad as it soun

Had a house in Nottingham over 30 years and often moored around the area for last 12. Love it.

Lived in Nottingham for 20 something years as well. The scary stories about nottm are quite old now and also somewhat exaggerated. It's a great city for students, possibly too great - the biggest risk to little precious babies will be self inflicted from the abundant opportunites for RnR and idiot student overindulgence. As someone who occasionally lectures to them, you'll be suprised at how robust they can be in the morning after

edited to remove ridiculous emoticons inserted automatically by idiot forum software.

Edited by The Toad in the Hole

• 2 weeks later...

We've traveled through this area many times, in fact we live local to the area. Never had a problem. I don't think the 'reputation' is helped by the lockies always telling people not to hang around and cruise straight through. Nothing to do with them wanting you to pass through all the locks quickly, so they can get on their way??

If it helps you sleep I can tell you my daughters good friend has been at Leeds Uni for the last year and has loved every minute there.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

White stuff you could give to the 'scroats' and they may happily thank you and leave you to continue your journey in peace. After 2 miles then phone to the cops and say above-mentioned scroats were trying to sell you drugs...

"Thank Gawd they're calling the new station a 'railway station' and not a 'train station'." - at Banbury platform 3 an official notice refers to it as 'train station'. Some wit has crossed out 'train' and underneath written 'railway' and 'learn English'.

This is the platform to Oxford where they learn things like this at Uni.

Done this stretch many times without incident apart from a few kids asking me to refill the lock so they could swim. The lockie you mention, that'll be Keith, loverly bloke but loves a moan, the things he mentioned did happen but not regularly. Things happen but anywhere - the worst I encountered was kids throwing stones at Grappelhall I was mortified and vowed never to go boating again - that was 30 years ago!