How can some get away from paying for a license

Featured Posts

CRT are always looking for volunteer data checkers now's your chance. Their own figures show that license evasion is around 4% which they consider acceptable and that to drive it lower would not be worth the resources required.

Well so far on this years travels I haven't noticed any out of date licences but then I have been on waterways that have lockies that maintain the no licence no passage regime....perhaps this could be enforced more widely....although from what I have seen on other parts of the system those without licences do seem to be the ones welded to the bank....or CCing as I suspect some would like to call it....so have probably never seen a lock let alone one with a resident lockie.

Cheers

Gareth

CRT are always looking for volunteer data checkers now's your chance. Their own figures show that license evasion is around 4% which they consider acceptable and that to drive it lower would not be worth the resources required.

How many members agree that 4% is acceptable . . . it actually represents one unlicenced boat for approximately every one and a half miles of waterway under C&RT control . . . is that good?

How many members agree that 4% is acceptable . . . it actually represents one unlicenced boat for approximately every one and a half miles of waterway under C&RT control . . . is that good?

No. If all boats paid for a license then maybe us lock keepers might get paid a reasonable wage increase for once

A bloke at Chas Harden Boats on the Shroppie was telling me how he spotted a boat displaying a licence 12/15

Apparently it was a hire boat. They were printing their own licences. Pity they were a bit thick!

Edited by Water Rat.

A bloke at Chas Harden Boats on the Shroppie was telling me how he spotted a boat displaying a licence 12/15

Apparently it was a hire boat. They were printing their own licences. Pity they were a bit thick!

Wouldn't be difficult.

But wouldn't tally with boat number on computer

I don't have a criminal mind, but would imagine there are ways around that. Criminals seem to manage it with cars.

Edited by Guest

Also a bit pointless as the only people they would fool would be amateur observers.

CRT don't even look at the licence.

George ex nb Alton retired

That's one I've often wondered how the people that nick boats, take them out of the water and then sell them get around. I'm sure Que Sera is out there somewhere but how do they get a new number for it? Is it like when people reinvent themselves and take on the identity of someone who died? Verify that a boat has been scrapped and then take on the number?

Lots of questions! I'm typing while I think but these things always intrigue me.

Way over some peeps' heads, so it appears!

MtB

That's one I've often wondered how the people that nick boats, take them out of the water and then sell them get around. I'm sure Que Sera is out there somewhere but how do they get a new number for it? Is it like when people reinvent themselves and take on the identity of someone who died? Verify that a boat has been scrapped and then take on the number?

Lots of questions! I'm typing while I think but these things always intrigue me.

Can't speak for boats, but I have read that cars get "cloned" and sometimes more than one car has been found bearing the same registration details etc. This has come to light with speed cameras, where it has been proved beyond doubt that the car must have been a clone.

Would bring a whole new meaning to the term "clone boat."

Edited by Guest

No they would use the extra income for something else

I think you're right. They wouldn't reduce licence fees or increase lockies wages - they'd plug that ginormous gap between the current revenue and what they need to maintain the system.

Can't speak for boats, but I have read that cars get "cloned" and sometimes more than one car has been found bearing the same registration details etc. This has come to light with speed cameras, where it has been proved beyond doubt that the car must have been a clone.

Would bring a whole new meaning to the term "clone boat."

And the difference with cars is that they've got the VIN number as it's unique identifier. There's nothing like that with boats is there?

I don't have any criminal intent by the way - this stuff always intrigues me smile.png

I think you're right. They wouldn't reduce licence fees or increase lockies wages - they'd plug that ginormous gap between the current revenue and what they need to maintain the system.

And the difference with cars is that they've got the VIN number as it's unique identifier. There's nothing like that with boats is there?

I don't have any criminal intent by the way - this stuff always intrigues me smile.png

Some boats do have a hull number, mine has, but it would be a ten minute job to knock up a phoney one and tack weld it in place of the original. (see you have got me thinking like a criminal now smile.png ) I am unsure if they are all as basic as mine though. Thinking about it I saw one recently where the number was done in mig weld on the tunnel band.

Edited by Guest

I think the actual answer is you buy a boat and you don't register it as your boat. You will at some point meet vague enforcement. You ignore it. You move the boat about. You get tickets you ignore them.

CRT don't know who you are.

You have to do this from the start it can't be done once they know you.

I don't know if this works as I have always paid for my cruising license because I believe its a bit of a bargain and would like it to remain that way. In theory everyone paying would help this to be the case.

Pretty sure evasion is fairly simple if you do it 'right'

Nothing like car tax