Nut on swan neck keeps coming loose - losing steering

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I've just bought a 1983 Pete Nicholls boat, and the nut on the swan neck has come loose on turning the boat round meaning we lost steering. We've re-tightened using a wrench, but again on turning round today it's worked it's away loose again.

Any ideas on why this is happening and what I can do about it?

Maggie

Don't you need to look first as how in fits on to the rudder shaft (does it have a proper name?). If that is worn so it is not a good fit and it is only the nut friction that is providing the connection I would think it is going to keep coming loose.

Without a photo I don't really know suitable advice to offer, but:

On my boat the rudder shaft is tapered, like the propeller shaft, and where it fits into the swans neck, is cone shaped.

Is it worth taking the swans neck off and making sure there is no oil / grease there? Give a good clean and refit with some Loctite.

http://www.loctite.co.uk/homepage.htm

Edited by Ray T

Is there a keyway on the shaft? If so, is the key still in it? If the shaft is tapered, the taper may have worn too far for the nut to put any pressure on the arm, and a couple of slightly oversized washers may help.

<Botch job alert> If tightening everything really tight doesn't work and the tiller arm fits onto a non-tapered shaft, then get some nuts of the same thread, use them to make a flat surface at the top of the shaft, and drill a 4 mm or so hole along the junction of the shaft and tiller arm. Then drop a bolt down the hole as a key. Or do the same horizontally across the centreline of the assembly? I'm not sure if that would be strong enough, though, and it might damage the shaft beyond repair.

Edited by John Williamson 1955

Is there a keyway on the shaft? If so, is the key still in it? If the shaft is tapered, the taper may have worn too far for the nut to put any pressure on the arm, and a couple of slightly oversized washers may help.

<Botch job alert> If tightening everything really tight doesn't work and the tiller arm fits onto a non-tapered shaft, then get some nuts of the same thread, use them to make a flat surface at the top of the shaft, and drill a 4 mm or so hole along the junction of the shaft and tiller arm. Then drop a bolt down the hole as a key. Or do the same horizontally across the centreline of the assembly? I'm not sure if that would be strong enough, though, and it might damage the shaft beyond repair.

Another possible bodge, which does not sound so much of a bodge really, is the if it is taper but not tight, remove a bit off the top of the rudder shaft so the swan neck goes a bit further down the tape. and fits better. I would definitely say you need to take it apart and work out what is going on, and not just tighten the nut (or is it actually a bolt) tighter.

Just a thought, check the base of the swans neck isn't cracked. (Unless its had some unnecessary attention it shouldn't be.) No matter how much you tighten the bolt the base will not grip on the shaft, if it is.

Edited by Ray T

The same thing happened to us a few years ago . The reason was that the thread on the bolt Had been crossed when we had the swan neck replaced after work on the rudder. The temporary cure was to Place 3 twopenny pieces around the bolt making another temporary washer. Tightening the bolt down onto the 2 pence pieces. Full cure replaced the bolt with one purchased from a great hardware shop in reading .Bunny.