Plans to Close Off Part Of The Rochdale Canal Overnight

Featured Posts

I have just read this article about proposals to close of the Rochdale Canal through Manchester overnight:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/rochdale-canal-undercroft-closure-plan-7423483

I have very mixed feelings about it. While I hate to think of ANY canal becoming restricted to passage overnight I also wonder whether realistically anyone would want to take a boat through there in the dark?

I wonder what other people think about this?

I have just read this article about proposals to close of the Rochdale Canal through Manchester overnight:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/rochdale-canal-undercroft-closure-plan-7423483

I have very mixed feelings about it. While I hate to think of ANY canal becoming restricted to passage overnight I also wonder whether realistically anyone would want to take a boat through there in the dark?

I wonder what other people think about this?

A good few locks on the Leeds end of the L&L are locked overnight, so passage overnight is restricted.

A good few locks on the Leeds end of the L&L are locked overnight, so passage overnight is restricted.

But the supposed problem is not with boats passing through but low life's using especially the croft under Piccadilly for nefarious purposes.

The section they want to gate off is only from Minshull Street to Dale Street, the bit where the canal runs under Piccadilly railway station and it wouldn't really be much of a problem to boaters. Due to the number of robberies on this stretch and several people being killed it might be for the best. Using apps like grindr gay men are lured there and mugged then quite often thrown in the canal too, the true level of crime isn't know as a got goes unreported Although there are warning signs in all the pubs and clubs the area attracts people in from all over some of whom are not aware of the problem. As a boater I'd fell safer with the gates but as they'd only be locked at night it shouldn't be an issue. Given that 12 people have died in that stretch of canal since 2000 it must be the riskiest mile (or less) of canal in the country.

K

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/jailed-phone-robbery-gang-who-6142754

Edited by kevinl

The section they want to gate off is only from Minshull Street to Dale Street, the bit where the canal runs under Piccadilly railway station and it wouldn't really be much of a problem to boaters. Due to the number of robberies on this stretch and several people being killed it might be for the best. Using apps like grindr gay men are lured there and mugged then quite often thrown in the canal too, the true level of crime isn't know as a got goes unreported Although there are warning signs in all the pubs and clubs the area attracts people in from all over some of whom are not aware of the problem. As a boater I'd fell safer with the gates but as they'd only be locked at night it shouldn't be an issue. Given that 12 people have died in that stretch of canal since 2000 it must be the riskiest mile (or less) of canal in the country.

K

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/jailed-phone-robbery-gang-who-6142754

And gating off that section the towpath would have no affect on boaters

I don't know the canal but if people are locked out would that not then make it a safe place to moor? After the gates have been locked of course.

See pictures 4, 5 & 6 on the link below, if you want to moor there go ahead smile.png

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/rochdale/rc9.htm

John "And gating off that section the towpath would have no affect on boaters" it's "effect" isn't it?

Either way the gates will only be on the towpath and only locked a night, they will just stop people (without a boat) accessing the towpath. If you have a boat no problem just sail past them.

K

That was my point. We went through there last year and while there were no problems at all the locks can be hard work and on a lovely sunny Friday afternoon the area under the big bridge, where there is no access to the boat from the towpath made me nervous. Therre were a number of people under there and it was fairly obvious that drug dealing was going on. You can't just turn the revs up a little to get through an area like that. The time it takes is decided by how long the locks take to work. I certainly would not want to be in that area overnight whether moored up or just passing through. They can put gates up but if people really want to they will get onto the towpath

See pictures 4, 5 & 6 on the link below, if you want to moor there go ahead smile.png

John "And gating off that section the towpath would have no affect on boaters" it's "effect" isn't it?

Either way the gates will only be on the towpath and only locked a night, they will just stop people (without a boat) accessing the towpath. If you have a boat no problem just sail past them.

K

No, affect is a verb, effect a noun.

And the plan seems to be to close off the whole canal as CRT wont risk their staff down their at night without police protection and that costs. A bit silly if you ask me.

That was my point. We went through there last year and while there were no problems at all the locks can be hard work and on a lovely sunny Friday afternoon the area under the big bridge, where there is no access to the boat from the towpath made me nervous. Therre were a number of people under there and it was fairly obvious that drug dealing was going on. You can't just turn the revs up a little to get through an area like that. The time it takes is decided by how long the locks take to work. I certainly would not want to be in that area overnight whether moored up or just passing through. They can put gates up but if people really want to they will get onto the towpath

Believe me there is much worse than drug dealing going on down there, so I'm told.

Believe me there is much worse than drug dealing going on down there, so I'm told.

I do believe you. It does not take much imagination when you see what is going on in broad daylight.

Personally while I hate the idea of any restriction on a canal I think the likelihood of it being closed causing a problem to any boaters is so remote it is better to close it if it might save some lives

See pictures 4, 5 & 6 on the link below, if you want to moor there go ahead :)

K

The photos make it look great. But then, I'm weird- my favourite locks of all are the ones on Farmer's Bridge under the narrow tunnel and under the building (8 and 9?) and the one under the huge, cavernous arch, and also one on the Northampton flight under the M1.