Shoreline RR5010 Fridge Problem

Ian on Leo

Featured Posts

We have a Shoreline RR5010 12V fridge on our narrowboat on which we are out cruising for the summer. It has been working fine but just this evening it has stopped working (i.e. compressor not running) and the LED warning light is flashing four times every few seconds. According to the Instructions it says this means "Minimum Motor Speed Error - If the refrigerator system is too heavily loaded the motor cannot maintain mimimum speed 1,850 rpm"

This message doesn't mean much to me. Can anyone help? The fridge is not crammed full by any means if that is what 'loaded' means. The battery voltage at present is 12.8V so pretty well fully charged and the engine has been running for five hours today.

I have tried switching the power off for a period and then back on again. This doesn't change things: it still does not work.

Does anyone have any ideas for curing this fault or is it terminal?

Many thanks.

If the temperature round the back of the fridge is too high then the cooling rad on the back won't be able to loose heat. This would raise the gas pressure in the refrigerant circuit and increase the load on the motor which could slow it down. If it's this then it would probably improve in the morning when its cooler. Then again it could be something else.

Thanks for that suggestion, but it proved to be something else as you mentioned. I phoned Shoreline this morning and their best guess was that the fault lay with the electronic control unit (the black box at the back of the fridge). They offered either that we return the fridge (not easy when you are cruising) or to remove and send back the control unit (where to send the new one back to might be a problem too). We bought the fridge from Midland Chandlers on one of their 'freaky Fridays' so my next call was to them. It took some persuading but I'm pleased to say that Darren Cook from Midland Chandlers delivered a new fridge to us this evening on the boat which is moored at a CRT service station on the BCN (to give easy access for a vehicle). The fridge is presently resting for 12 hours upright and then we'll turn it on tomorrow.

Excellent service from Midland Chandlers. We are very grateful.