Solar for water

Featured Posts

The whole problem is that tepid water is a haven for bugs especially the legonella sorts. so solar is PART of the answer but the tepid water needs heating to 60C before use.

What is the real risk to a health adult, I can see the problem in hospitals and old folks homes etc where people who may be exposed may be frail, but for mister average fit enough to handle a boat how would he get on?

I have a solar system on my house but not on the boat as we do not use the boat enough to make it worthwhile. Basaed on experience at home I suggest that heating the water hot enough is not a great problem as you will always need a secondary heat source to cover periods with inadequate sunshine, this can be used to top up the temperature as required. On a good sunny day I would think a single panel more than enough to heat an average sized calorifier.

A problem with solar is that the heat collected has to be dumped if the heat load (calorifier) is already hot. If not the system may boil. The solar system on my house has two collection panels and heats two water cylinders, when one is hot it feeds the second etc. On a very sunny day, pump failure or a power cut leads to very high temperatures quite quickly (so avoid soldered joints, they will melt). The same applies if the hot water demand is low (as when we leave the house and head for the boat, then our neighbour comes in and dumps hot water! On a boat there is the advantage that in such conditions you could cover the panels with a blanket or similar, however with batteries there should be a reasonably reliable power source. However if leaving a boat unattended I suggest this would require some attention.